Slow Download Speeds with SAB in Ubuntu Server VM

Hi there,

I am not getting my full download speed on my unraid server. My network is wired and has gigabit speeds, unraid shows that it uses a gigabit connection, so does my router.

When i try to download stuff via usenet, i get a maximum speed of 1.8-2.2 MB/s in SABnzbd. I tried both Influencers Plugin and running Ubuntu Server in a VM via the VirtualBox plugin.

When i download on my Laptop, I get the full 3,3MB/s that are possible with my ISP.

When i write to my Cache Disk from the Laptop, I write with 70MB/s.

The Cache Disk is a new 500GB Seagate.

The configs for SAB are equal on my Server and on my Laptop.

I tried it with the SSL server from usenetserver and without, same speeds.

My Setup:

Intel Core I3 2120 @ 3,3GHZ

ASRock - B75 Pro3-M MB

8 GB Ram

I am still on 5.0-rc12a and want to wait for SimpleFeatures to be compatible before I upgrade to 5.0.

Do you think that maybe thats the problem?

Any ideas?

Do you need more information?

Syslog is attached

Syslog.zip

Well, thats good and bad news.

I switched to all my 20 connections and the DL speed went up.

I now get between 2.6-2.8 MB/s, the downside is that my usenetprovider only offers me 20 connections.

Do you have any other ideas?

Why am i maxing my ISP connection out on my 2 laptops with 8-12 connections, and on unRAID I cant max it out at all?

• 2 months later...

Hi, i have been away for some time and now completly started fresh with my unRAID install.

I set up a new Ubuntu 12.04.3 Server VM via the VirtualBox Plugin for unRAID.

The odd thing is that if I torrent I can max out my connection at ~3,2 MB/s. That is in the Ubuntu VM.

But when I download something via SAB (aswell in the VM) I only get around 2,5-2,7 MB/s. That is with 19 out of 20 possible connections.

I tried with SSL enabled and disabled, same results...

When I attach my notebook via CAT 5e cable to the same Gigabit Hub my unRAID Server is connected, I max the connection out with SAB with only 12 connections.

So it has to have something to do with either unRAID being the host or with Ubuntu Server and the connections.

I tried a free membership with FastUsenet because they offer 50 connections. What I found out is that I have to use an insane amount of connections (if I remember correctly in the 40´s range) to max the connection out.

Can anybody think of why that is? Or what I could try to achieve better speeds?

I gave to VM 2 cores and 3400MB of RAM.

I set up the Cache size in SAB to 200MB, so that should be fine too.

Running out of ideas and just cant understand why this is happenening....

I tried it with Influencers Plugin and I am getting the exact same speeds as in the VM.