How to backup Plex Media Server Library

xtatdsm

Hello guys,

I could use some help here. I have been trying to backup my media library for a while now with no luck. I currently have plex installed in my cache drive (in a folder called plx) i initially thought I could just copy the plx folder and paste it on another disk but I always end up getting permission error. so I then used putty to copy and paste the plx folder to disk5, the copy went fine, but I had issues with my media server so I went ahead and deleted the plx folder and reinstalled plex thinking I already have a legitimate backup that I can use, well long story shot, the backup for some reasons did not work, I pasted the backed up folder content into the newly installation folder and started plex, however, plex acted as if there was nothing in there. so am I doing something wrong, how do you guys backup and restore your plex library.

Thanks

MC is midnight commander. It is a file management tool (copy, move, etc) built into unRaid. Type mc at a command line to run it.

FWIW, I created a script a while back with the help of the forums here to rsync the contents of the apps folder on my cache drive (sab/SB/CP/Plex) to a share on the array, so that if the cache drive ever crashes I SHOULD be able to restore those apps from the backup.

I'll see if I can find that thread and post it here.

Archived