Micro ATX cases and MOBO for unRAID?

teamhood

Hey all,

I have this idea floating around inside my head about building a smaller unRAID server to bring up to my lake house. I would like it to be small, maybe hold about 4 or 5 hard drives.... and I was wondering if anyone else has looked into using unRAID for this type of applications?

I have never used a micro ATX board before and/or cases... I have started my search, but thought I would tap the knowledge base to see if anyone has any recommendations on small cases... (who's got my smaller stacker case  ::) )

I am assuming the most difficult part is going to find a MOBO... but if we could find something that could compete with ReadyNAS... that would be sweet :)

teamhood,

The Asus P5PE-VM motherboard that some members are using is a micro ATX motherboard and is widely available from mwave.com, newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com, etc.

I just bought one to evaluate as a replacement for the original Intel micro ATX motherboards that the unRaid server uses.

Regards,

TCIII

I'm using the P5P-VM in a "Normal"ish midi-tower case.  Reason I chose this is, it's got 4 5.25" bays, 2 3.5" bays and room for more 3.5" bays down the bottom.  At least for a while, this will fulfill my requirements (I haven't decided if I want to rip my DVD collection, yet ;) ).  Other reason, it was dirt cheap, brand new for GBP23 / USD41 (well, that is at least dirt cheap in the UK!!) and I have bought some 5.25" triple fan "blanking plates" to go at the front.  These pull air in the front and you can feel a surprising amount of cold air flowing over the drives.

HTH!

Matt :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived