Simple printing service for unRAID/BubbaRAID

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was using this post to set it up on my mac.  :'(

The address listed uses port 9001.

The print server uses port 9100. Once I changed this it all worked fine.

It's funny what one digit in the wrong place does.

I'm on Unraid 4.5.6 I intstalled this via Unmenu and set usblp0 as the Printer Port in Unmenu.  I did not need to create any symlinks.  Then I plugged in my circa 2004 HP Deskjet 5150.  Then I created the directory that Dase had mentioned.  It would not work until I did.

mkdir /var/lock/subsys

To setup the printer in on my Mac running 10.6 I did the following:

Opened System Preferences, clicked Print and Fax, and then the + button at the bottom of the printer list.  I then selected the IP tab, chose "HP Jetdirect - Socket" for protocol (I think you would do this regardless of the brand of your printer).  Then for address I put the IP of my Unraid box followed by the port like so: 192.168.1.101:9001.  Then I chose "Select Printer Software" from the Print Using: dropdown.  I left the other fields blank.  A boxed up, and I chose a driver closest to my printer, HP Deskjet 5400.  Lo and behold, now I am printing wirelessly to Unraid.

Also set this up on my wife's Windows 7 laptop following Dase's instructions.  Worked without a hitch.

If you are having trouble then check the syslog.  If you see this:

Oct 13 11:17:13 Tower p9100d[8361]: /var/lock/subsys/p9100d: No such file or directory 

Then you need to create the /var/lock/subsys directory.

If you see anything that looks like the lines below then your client computer is sending the print job to Unraid.

Oct 13 11:20:59 Tower p9100d[8675]: Connection from 192.168.1.139 port 50736 accepted 
Oct 13 11:21:06 Tower p9100d[8675]: Finished job: 0 bytes received, 0 bytes sent 
Oct 13 11:21:06 Tower p9100d[8675]: Connection from 192.168.1.139 port 50749 accepted 
Oct 13 11:22:05 Tower p9100d[8675]: Finished job: 10708 bytes received, 0 bytes sent 

• 3 months later...

I hope someone can help me, I have tried all ways to set this up on both a main pc and a laptop and i can't get it to run.

Please bear with me as I have never set up anything like this before and have only ever ran a pc and a nas box which did it all for you so I have just ventured into UnRaid.

I have followed the instructions and keep getting the message in the syslog.

/dev/usblp0: No such file or directory, will try opening later

I have changed the usblp0 to just usb0 and still the same.

i set it up via the unraid package manager and have done it many times but still no joy.

would there be anything i need to post to dig a bit deep, and how would i access that information.

sorry to try peoples patience with this, i have searched but nothing has yet worked.

thanks a lot

I hope someone can help me, I have tried all ways to set this up on both a main pc and a laptop and i can't get it to run.

Please bear with me as I have never set up anything like this before and have only ever ran a pc and a nas box which did it all for you so I have just ventured into UnRaid.

I have followed the instructions and keep getting the message in the syslog.

/dev/usblp0: No such file or directory, will try opening later

I have changed the usblp0 to just usb0 and still the same.

i set it up via the unraid package manager and have done it many times but still no joy.

would there be anything i need to post to dig a bit deep, and how would i access that information.

sorry to try peoples patience with this, i have searched but nothing has yet worked.

thanks a lot

What version of unRAID are you running?  What do you see in the syslog when you plug in your USB printer?

What shows when you type

ls -l /dev/u*

after you plug in your printer. (make sure it is turned on)

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

Version 1.5 Revision: 246 is the UnRaid

Sep  6 17:18:06 Server p9100d[8792]: /dev/usblp0: No such file or directory  (Drive related)Sep  6 17:18:06 Server p9100d[8792]: /dev/usblp0: No such file or directory, will try opening later  (Drive related)

ls -l /dev/u* gives the following in a putty window.

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 9 2012-09-03 21:30 /dev/urandom

thanks

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

Version 1.5 Revision: 246 is the UnRaid

Sep  6 17:18:06 Server p9100d[8792]: /dev/usblp0: No such file or directory  (Drive related)Sep  6 17:18:06 Server p9100d[8792]: /dev/usblp0: No such file or directory, will try opening later  (Drive related)

ls -l /dev/u* gives the following in a putty window.

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 9 2012-09-03 21:30 /dev/urandom

thanks

I did not ask what version of unMENU you are running, I asked what version of unRAID you are running?

You need to be running version at least version 4.5.1 of unRAID for it to have included drivers for USB printers.

Joe L.

• 3 weeks later...

This seems to be the de-facto print thread on the forums, which is why I revive the thread with problems of my own:

I've gone through a few iterations of trouble, but finally managed to get the printer recognised by the server (by using the unMenu package and some sweat and tears). At least I think so, based on the following:

When I start the server I get the following message in the log after a while:

Server kernel: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x3D17

I presume this is telling me the printer was found.

If I try to print something from another machine in the network, the server logs something akin to the following:

Server p9100d[9343]: Connection from 192.168.1.100 port 49369 accepted 
Server p9100d[9343]: Finished job: 1693 bytes received, 0 bytes sent 

This is all good, one would think, except absolutely nothing comes out of the printer.

I have tried using a few different drivers, namely the ones shipped with the unit, the ones recommended by Windows 7 and the generic text drivers. The results are the same for the lot; none at all.

Additionally, while I don't know if it matters in the least, the server occasionally logs the following:

Server kernel: usblp0: removed

However it quickly (within five seconds at the most) informs me it has found the USB bidirectional printer again, with the very same message referred to at the top of the post.

Feel free to share any and all thoughts; I am at a loss.

Edit: I have managed to get it working, though not in a conventional manner: I tried using the built in drivers for an HP LaserJet P1006, after which all went swimmingly.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Had i problem getting this to work.

Found it in the second line of the go fie

2. Add two lines to /boot/config/go so it runs automatically when you boot: 1: mkdir /var/lock/subsys 2: /boot/</yourpath>/p910nd -f /dev/usblp0 -b

Changed to usb/lp0 as below.

2. Add two lines to /boot/config/go so it runs automatically when you boot: 1: mkdir /var/lock/subsys 2: /boot/</yourpath>/p910nd -f /dev/usb/lp0 -b

Could this be scripted in to a plugin file.

Not easy finding details on unRAID printing.