My unRAID performance has decreased all a sudden. help?

built this unraid about 3 years ago.

recently however i tried to transfer a 3GB iso file over my network and i was shocked to see windows tell me (estimated time 1 hour !)  its been a while since iv transfer a lare file but im sure it was no were near an hour ! id say about 5 to 7 minutes max.thought when i click on a 720 mp4 video file it streams/plays instantly to my pc so speed there is ok.so i think its a problem with writhing to the disks only

anyway iv  rebooted unraid using the gui and also done a parity check. then later on when it was done (no errors)i tried to transfer the file again. this time it says 30 minutes. im using windows 7 64bit over ethernet.have done for years too.

i will be honest it was 3 years ago since i built this and i cant remember how to fully use the settings. i do have unmenu installed. (not the new version as i tried to do that the other day and it overwritten my fixed ip address and i couldn't figure out how to change it back so i couldn't use unmenu gui on my web browser. so i used my backup of my unraid.

can anyone help me or recommend i try anything or maybe there is a test or log i can do and share on here ? if so could you give me instructions on how to do it please.

my unraid hardware thought is not the best i would say its not bad has been well looked after regular dust cleaning. thought my harddrives have not been replaced. considering there 3 years old and there 91% (40.95G free)  i want to replace both drives with 2x 4TB but money is wayy too tight at the minute ( im 27 training in the  army and its not the best pay if im honest) my friends and family benefit from it more than me lol anyway specs of my rig are

500GB western digital green (parity)

500GB western green (disk 1)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+

4gb ddr2 corsair (if i remember right)

650w Antec psu

unraid is on a sandisk cruiser 4gb

asus lion square heatsink (pwm) (34c idle) just checked it

network 10/100 3Com 4400 48-Port SuperStack 3 switch

it has a gigabit pci card in it and unraid automatically switched from onboard lan to the pci card one.

however my network is not gigabit.

like i say been running this setup for 3 years and never had a problem with it. still streams my hd films fast and reliable over  Ethernet so the family and me are still happy.  i dont have a pro licence. iv just noticed there is a syslog in unmenu so iv attached it on here.  hope someone can help and if you need any more info just let me no :)

syslog-2013-10-09.txt

network 10/100 3Com 4400 48-Port SuperStack 3 switch

As you noted, your network isn't Gb => it's limited by the speed of your switch (100Mb).  But that's doesn't explain the length of the writes you're noting.

What's more likely the issue is that you data drive is so full => when Linux writes to the last 10% of a drive, the writes get MUCH slower.  Reads are not impacted by this -- so you should get normal read speeds (limited, of course, by your 100Mb network).

You simply need to save your $$ so you can afford better drives ... perhaps ask those who get the most benefit ["... my friends and family benefit from it more than me lol ..." ] to chip in a bit for some larger drives  :)    You can find 3TB drives on sale for ~ $100 => there's even a pair for sale on this forum for $200 delivered -- with a note that he'll "entertain offers" [ http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29718.0 ]

Note:  If you're going to consider those, I'd get the serial numbers (so you can do a warranty check and see how much time is left) and the SMART reports, to be sure there are no obvious issues.

Interesting you post.

I just built a new unRAID box.  Usually transfer at about 35/sec (forget the actual unit).  Now it's half that 15 - 17/sec as of about two days ago.  Nothing has changed.  I am filling drives, but just transferred to a new precleared drive and it's not bumping back up.

Have rebooted NAS and reset router.  All gig network.

Don't know why, either...

Interesting you post.

I just built a new unRAID box.  Usually transfer at about 35/sec (forget the actual unit).  Now it's half that 15 - 17/sec as of about two days ago.  Nothing has changed.  I am filling drives, but just transferred to a new precleared drive and it's not bumping back up.

Have rebooted NAS and reset router.  All gig network.

Don't know why, either...

Are you using the latest version (v5.0)?

Post a picture of the main page of the Web GUI (shows a lot of potentially useful info).

Also, are you sure the source isn't a bottleneck?  i.e. are you copying from a USB drive?

Box built two weeks ago.  Nothing different except all new unRAID with much better specs (yes, V5.0).  Went from good specs of 3 years ago to good specs presently.  Can't remember off the top of my head but all the current solid build stuff used:  SuperMicro mother board, Intel server CPU, 8GB ram, all new WD red drives.

I use the same computer to transfer files from an external USB 3.0 drive.  Even now, I am copying a large file OFF my unRAID to my USB drive and it's at 21MB/s DOWNload.  Should be 35MB/s easy, but it's not.

UnRaid_Webpage_Small.jpg.c082ca8f047eb4124b72e5a34baf95e8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I now have my unRaid 5.0 build up and running and stable.  I have a replacement blade for my Norco 4224 on it's way to fix what I hope is my last hardware issue with my new build.

I still have slower write speeds to my array than an old build from three years ago.  I'm getting 10-15 MB/s when I used to enjoy 35 MB/s.  I've been using Teracopy but might go back to plain ole' Windows Explorer.

I've read the 26 page SuperMicro motherboard X9SCM-F-O slow write speed thread from about a year ago that has since been marked solved.  I'm thinking the >4 GB memory issue is been fixed with the 5.0 stable build of unraid, which I am running.

Should I just realize this is the new norm?  No cache drive being used.  All Gig wired network confirmed.  This one last thing and I can forget about my unraid again while it just works in the background like before.

I have four 8GB sticks.  Will pull two and first try 8GB.  I've read where that has helped some.

To limit ram, edit syslinux.cfg in root flash drive to:

default menu.c32

menu title Lime Technology LLC

prompt 0

timeout 50

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel bzimage

append mem=4095M initrd=bzroot

label Memtest86+

kernel memtest

I'm placing this so others can quickly find it.  I'll mark as solved, for now.  If this doesn't do the trick I will come back to it...