unRAID with SABnzbd

Hey guys,

I followed markus101's instructions from here ( http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2903.msg25138#msg25138 ) and SAB starts ok manually, but not when rebooting via the GO script.

I am using the _exact_ same command from the GO script to start SAB manually, so I was wondering if there's something obvious that you guys can suggest as to why this might be happening.

Here's my relevant GO script:

#Install packages and copy files for Sabnzbd
installpkg /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/python-2.5.2-i486-4.tgz
installpkg /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/infozip-5.52-i486-2.tgz
installpkg /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/unrar-3.7.8-i486-1stc_slack12.1.tgz
cp -r /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/Cheetah /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
cp /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/Cheetah/Cheetah-2.0.1-py2.5.egg-info /usr/lib/python2.5/
cp /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/Cheetah/bin/cheetah /usr/bin
cp /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/Cheetah/bin/cheetah-compile /usr/bin
cp -r /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/OpenSSL /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
cp /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/OpenSSL/pyOpenSSL-0.8-py2.5.egg-info /usr/lib/python2.5/
cp /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd/par2 /usr/bin
cp /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd/libtbb* /usr/bin
cp /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/libstdc++.so* /usr/lib

#Install Feedparser & start SABnzbd
cd /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/feedparser-4.1
python /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/feedparser-4.1/setup.py install
python /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -f /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.ini -s 10.0.1.5:88

Thanks!

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

I followed markus101's instructions from here ( http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2903.msg25138#msg25138 ) and SAB starts ok manually, but not when rebooting via the GO script.

I am using the _exact_ same command from the GO script to start SAB manually, so I was wondering if there's something obvious that you guys can suggest as to why this might be happening.

Here's my relevant GO script:

cp /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/Cheetah/Cheetah-2.0.1-py2.5.egg-info /usr/lib/python2.5/
cp /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/OpenSSL/pyOpenSSL-0.8-py2.5.egg-info /usr/lib/python2.5/

python /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -f /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.ini -s 10.0.1.5:88

Thanks!

The current directory might not be in the search path when you execute the "go" script.

You can try putting

PATH=$PATH:.

above the set of lines you added.

Joe L.

Pardon me,

But why not use the SABDependencies that are provided in this thread? I have two lines to start SAB, essentially the "installpkg" line and the line that starts SAB. Seems confusing to have to do what you're doing, no?

The dependencies work for the 0.4.x and 0.5 branches.

But why not use the SABDependencies that are provided in this thread? I have two lines to start SAB, essentially the "installpkg" line and the line that starts SAB. Seems confusing to have to do what you're doing, no?

No worries man. I tried to use them but SAB failed to launch everytime with no errors or warnings. After wasting an hour, I went to the manual approach and first try everything worked. I can't be bothered that much to be honest, it works and upgrading is a pretty simple process so I'm not concerned.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I managed to install SABnzbd on my unRAID machine. However i have a few questions :

- I think my disks don't spin down when SABnzbd is running too. Is this correct/normal?

- I use episodebutler in combination with SABnzbd on my previous system. Does anyone know if i can run this from the unRAID flash without problems?

Thanks for any advice you guys might possibly have!

Take care,

Tom

I never had a problem with disk not spinning down... where are you putting the SAB install files (python files) and where is the temp download folder located? I' using an old 40GB drive as I don't have a cache drive, which is where i had all the downloads/logs/SAB cache and the history DB [sAB 0.5a]), that drive never spun down, but it also had a swap file and every 15 minutes it would spin up to log the downloads available using Media Rover. Media Rover uses Python as well, so no other dependencies are required, the post is on the SABnzbd forums here: http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=2262.0

-Markus

Hi Markus,

thanks for the quick reply.

I currently have one parity and one data. So everything is on the same disk. I think i might have jumped the gun on the not spinning down part. I miscalculated the time the drive had been idle. I'll keep an eye on it the following days but think i cried wolf.

Media Rover seems like a good replacement for episodebutler! thanks for the link. I'll try that out tomorrow.

No worries, if you're running MR it will likely stop your drive from spinning down as well (unless you log to the flash drive or to the default log dir, which is on the RAM disk that is wiped on every reboot. The author for MR has been really helpful on the SAB forums as well, the initial setup can be a little confusing, but after that (and setting up a cron job it does the work for you).

-Markus

I put everything on my cache drive, and all the other drives spin down.

Now I did make one mistake in my config that allows some downloads to go straight to shared drives instead of the cache drive, which causes a freeze in playback when the drives spin up to save an 8 -16GB file. I might put my sabnzbd on a different drive, and then place on downloads onced unzip to the cache drive, under the proper folders so that they get copied over later at night.

SABNZBD question. With RSS feeds, is there a way to specify a directory with the accept a title? ie so that cbc market place downloads (legal) can automatically go to

cache/tv/CBC_MARKETPLACE no matter what episodes?

I believe you can do this by settign the RSS feed to a specific Category and then having that RSS feed only download the specific show you want to go there I can't remember offhand if that is supported in SAB 0.4.x, but it is for sure in the latest alpha's of 0.5.x. It's not the cleanest solution, but it's all i can think of at the moment, and see no issues with it working that way.

-Markus

I'm not a typical unRAID user, but I thought I'd share my experiences...

Since I'm running under Slackware13 which has Python 2.6.2, the last official version 0.4.11 of SABnzbd doesn't play too nicely with it. I grabbed the latest SVN version (as of 2009-08-24 which is the development 0.5.x line) and went hunting down the items that required. It included it's own updated CherryPy package, so I was left to get yEnc 0.3, Cheetah 2.2.1, and pyOpenSSL 0.9. Here's a thread about it at the official forums -- http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=1849.0

It's been working nicely for me.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to unRAID.

I installed my server on a old P4 2,4 ghz downclocked to 1,8 ghz. I want to thank Romir and markus101 for their step-by-step tutorial to installing sabnzb. I've got sabnzb running but I have the following 2 problems I cannot find a solution for:

- I cannot set the folders (complete, incomplete, etc.) pointing to the RAID array. The user files are by default on the flash running unraid. Sabnzb cannot create the \\Tower\Downloads\Completed directory. I understand I have to mount the network share, but I have no idea how to do this.

- I adapted the go file as in Romir's post, but I've got the feeling he's missing the last line (the one running sabnzb). When I Telnet the exact same code (python /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -f /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.ini -s 192.168.1.10:88) Sabnzb starts up and I can access the gui.

Thanks for the help.

Orbi, you need to set your various folders from the perspective of the server, not from the perspective of your PC.

Where you have \\Tower\Downloads\Completed, you should actually be entering /mnt/user/Downloads/Completed

Same thing goes for any path on SABnzbd - make sure you figure out what the server's internal path is, and use that.

Thanks ClunkClunk, that did the trick :D

A little update on what's going on: sabnzb still doesn't start together with unraid, but now it also crashes after the queue refreshed twice. Restarting sabnzb on the same port does not work. If I however try starting up sabnzb using another port, it comes up and crashes again after 2 refreshes. So I have trouble understanding what's going on. Anybody else experienced this?

Here's the content of my go file:

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &
cd /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd
python /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -f /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.ini -s 192.168.100.1:88

Perhaps that clarifies what the issue is.

• 3 weeks later...

I got this going on my unraid box. Very very happy to have it. I may post a fresh guide that details where to get the files and the exact steps. I don't feel like the instructions are very clear, I was going back and forth between the first few posts and had to do some googling to find the dependencies... but all in all, I'm happy. I used to have a full blown linux box running MDADM for my storage and switched to unraid.... so it's good to have sabnzbd back!

Maybe someone can help with this little issue. I am using the cache drive option for my "usenet" share. This is my config for sab.

download_dir = /mnt/cache/usenet/.temp/incomplete
download_free = 2G
complete_dir = /mnt/cache/usenet
script_dir = ""
nzb_backup_dir = /mnt/cache/usenet/.temp/backup
cache_dir = /mnt/cache/usenet/.temp/cache
dirscan_dir = /mnt/cache/usenet

That all works out really great until the mover script runs and moves everything off of the cache drive, leaving SABnzbd with none of the temporary files that it only creates on startup. It's an easy fix, I just have to restart sab, but it's annoying to do every day, and I suspect it would cause trouble if it were downloading overnight when the script runs, and I often do this.

Can the mover script exclude certain directories?

Maybe someone can help with this little issue. I am using the cache drive option for my "usenet" share. This is my config for sab.

download_free = 2G
script_dir = ""

That all works out really great until the mover script runs and moves everything off of the cache drive, leaving SABnzbd with none of the temporary files that it only creates on startup. It's an easy fix, I just have to restart sab, but it's annoying to do every day, and I suspect it would cause trouble if it were downloading overnight when the script runs, and I often do this.

It was designed to exclude any directory named with a leading period.  You might just name your directory /mnt/cache/.usenet instead of /mnt/cache/usenet  (changing the other variables accordingly)

Joe L.

I don't know if this will help anyone getting Sab to start up on booting but I have a few suggestions. Once you've run it at least once and generated your sabnzbd.ini file in the program directory you no longer need to specify the location in the command, unless you store it in a different directory. The same goes for your servers ip address & port, set it in Sabnzbd (in the .ini really) and you don't need it either to start sab up.

For example, my go script section for sab is simply:

#Start SABnzbd

installpkg /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/SABnzbdDependencies-1.2-i486-unRAID.tgz

python /mnt/cache/.custom/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -p -d

Most importantly, I've placed it towards the end of the file because all the disks need to be mounted prior to launching it. This is the only potential issue I can think of off the top of my head.

Delaying a commands execution can be done in the following manner:

echo "go.script.command.line.here" | at now + 1 minute

example:

echo "python /mnt/cache/.custom/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -p -d" | at now + 1 minute

That will delay Sabnzbd from starting for 1 minute in which time the file system should be in place.

That's all I've got for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Delaying a commands execution can be done in the following manner:

echo "go.script.command.line.here" | at now + 1 minute

example:

echo "python /mnt/cache/.custom/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -p -d" | at now + 1 minute

That will delay Sabnzbd from starting for 1 minute in which time the file system should be in place.

Romir, thanks to this Sabnzbd will start together with unraid. The strange thing is is that I cannot use the webgui of sabnzbd without performing a telnet to the server and manually run sabnzbd using the same command as I'm using in my go script. Any clue as why this is happening?

Sometimes i don't have access to sabnzbd, the webgui will be hanging on me, though sabnzbd continues to run in the background. I know it, because there is hard drive activity and my downloads progress. I can however start anoter instance of sabnzbd on another port that will start downloading the same queue, effectively downloading the same content twice and overwriting each other. I cannot recall the webgui of an instance that stopped running.

download_free = 2G
script_dir = ""

It was designed to exclude any directory named with a leading period.  You might just name your directory /mnt/cache/.usenet instead of /mnt/cache/usenet  (changing the other variables accordingly)

Joe L.

I changed everything to be in a .nzb directory on the root of the cache drive. Solved. Wonderful.

Added "at now +1 minute" to my go script. Solved. Wonderful.

SAB apparantly likes to do some reading and writing, so my cache disk never goes to sleep.

I'm currently running Sabnzbd 0.4.11 but I'm interested in trying out 0.5.0. Can somebody explain how I install this? On the Sab website there's only mention of a SVN version that you'll have to build yourself, but I don't have a developer package running on my unRAID server, and honestly even if I did I'd still be lost  ::)