Looking for UPS advice

Roger C

Long story short I woke up at 3am this morning to the smoke detector and my APC UPS on fire. This is the second apc unit I've had catch fire and im done with them. I'm now on the hunt for a different brand but want to make sure it will work with unraid. I'm looking at the cyberpower CP1350PFCLCD and im wondering if anyone else has used this one.

Thanks

Both of them were sitting on a desk in open air with nothing around and a 100w load which is my unraid server. Both models were the same back-ups xs 1500. Funny thing is both failed the same way. Last night I noticed it transferred to battery for a couple seconds and went back to utility so I thought nothing of it. Around 1am I was woken up by it switching between battery and utility every 5 seconds. I turned it off and back on and it seemed to be fine and passed a self test. At 3am I was woken up by the smoke detector and the ups was smoking and the plastic on the top was burning. The fist one did this about a year ago but it bothers me that they can fail this way. Guess i'm off now to buy the cyberpower.

I had an APC unit fail on me although not in quite as spectacular a fasion.  It just fried a capacitor (could smell that smell) somewhere inside.  So now I have a replacement battery if one of the others I've got needs a replacement battery.  Assuming a completely discharged battery can be used anyway.

I had a Belkin unit fail in a similar way a few years ago -- I suspect it over charged the battery.  You could smell the burned circuitry ... but it didn't catch on fire.  Belkin was quite good about it ... since they were no longer in the UPS market, they refunded the entire price I'd paid for the unit 2 1/2 years earlier (it had a 3 yr warranty).

Belkin actually made some very good units at very reasonable prices -- I was disappointed when they exited the market.  I still have two of their units (just replaced the batteries last month) -- along with a 2 Cyberpower and 2 APC units.

I've also had other apc units fail and they normally just quit working. Leaves me wondering if its just this one specific model number and how they both started acting up in the same way a couple hours before. They were both older units about 6 years old so i'm sure the newer ones would be ok but I like the cyber power pfc series with the sine wave output so I will get one a try.

I had a Belkin unit fail in a similar way a few years ago -- I suspect it over charged the battery.  You could smell the burned circuitry ... but it didn't catch on fire.  Belkin was quite good about it ... since they were no longer in the UPS market, they refunded the entire price I'd paid for the unit 2 1/2 years earlier (it had a 3 yr warranty).

Belkin actually made some very good units at very reasonable prices -- I was disappointed when they exited the market.  I still have two of their units (just replaced the batteries last month) -- along with a 2 Cyberpower and 2 APC units.

I have a Belkin unit sitting under my desk that makes batteries swell after a couple hours of charging and I never liked it. I always felt it was overcharging.

I always felt it was overcharging.

That's exactly what happened with the one I had fail -- in fact, the battery was so swollen I couldn't get it out of the unit.  But my two 1500 watts units are still going strong, and have never had any issues [knock on wood -- they'll probably both fail this afternoon  :)].