Read/write timeout while disk is spinning up

I have two issues that are becoming annoying:

First, when I start writing to a share that is spun down and it has to spin up, the write times out and fails before the drive finishes spinning up. Is there any way to increase cache/time it waits before timing out? Why can't unraid just accept the write and then flush it all do disk once the drive is ready?

Second, If I'm streaming a movie to another machine while one of the other unraid drives needs to spin up, the stream stops until that other drive finishes spinning up. Why would a completely different drive affect the current read from an already active drive?

The first issue is a function of whatever you're using to write to the drive -- it's timing out; NOT UnRAID.    Haven't seen this issue with Windows Explorer or TeraCopy => what are you using?

The second issue is common.  That's why UnRAID supports "spin-up groups".    Drives on the same controller, or at least the same controller channel, will cause this behavior.  You need to do some experimentation to determine which drives interact with each other; but once determined, if you set up spin-up groups, then all drives in the group will be spun up together ... and you'll no longer have that annoying little pause in your streams.