Please help me to set up NFS

• 1 month later...

I have found NFS to be unstable. I am running unraid within ESXi. I was originally mounting from fstab, but ended up with a lot of "stale NFS" errors. Form another post on this forum I started using autofs. It seems to have marginally improved, but I still end up with errors telling me a directory doesn't exist, which I believe to autofs for "stale NFS" errors.

Just some background, I'm running ESXi 5.5, with NFS user shares, X9SCM, and an IBM M1015 card.

I'm serving up my shares via NFS and mounting them on my busier Mac systems as well as some Ubuntu VM's.  The performance is much better than using SMB.  I'm using the NFS automounter on my iMac (the Ubuntu ones are mounting it permanently).  I still use SMB for browsing from Macs in general, but when I'm doing some major IO or ripping a bunch of stuff, I use NFS--very stable.

What sort of setup are you looking for?  Just how to setup the NFS serving side on unRAID?  It's very easy.