How Many Data Drives in Pro Version?

I have the Pro version (5.0b14), and am getting close to the drive limit of 20. I understand the actual release version will support 24 drives - is that 24 total, including the parity and cache drives, or is it 24 data drives, plus parity & cache?

Thanks for any feedback, Carl.

As noted, the current Pro implementation 24 array drives (23 data plus parity) and one cache drive.

Once btrfs caching is enabled (originally planned for v5.0, but will now be in a future release -- probably relatively soon), the Pro version will support 25 storage devices, which may be assigned as you like => so you could have 25 data drives;  24 data drives with a parity drive;  or fewer data drives with several drives assigned to a btrfs cache pool.

As noted, the current Pro implementation 24 array drives (23 data plus parity) and one cache drive.

Once btrfs caching is enabled (originally planned for v5.0, but will now be in a future release -- probably relatively soon), the Pro version will support 25 storage devices, which may be assigned as you like => so you could have 25 data drives;  24 data drives with a parity drive;  or fewer data drives with several drives assigned to a btrfs cache pool.

We probably shouldn't focus on btrfs coming to unRAID too soon. Given that it hasn't even been seen in beta or RC form, it's probably a long way off given Lime Tech's history. Let's not give anyone false hope or let someone buy unRAID thinking a certain feature is just around the corner.

Didn't mean to imply any near-term availability ... just noted that it WAS a feature planned for v5.0; and Tom is still planning to add it to a relatively near-term release.    "Relatively near-term" may not, of course, mean the same thing to Tom that others may expect  :)

People exploring unRAID for the first time, perhaps prior to trying/buying, could easily be mislead. Until Tom either officially announces an impending beta release or a beta is actually released, we probably should pretend it doesn't exist. It could be weeks, months, or years. Newcomers won't realize this though.

Agree -- I was simply noting the difference between the answer to this question now vs. when the cache pool is implemented => primarily to be sure there were no expectations of the # of drives increasing with the pool ... the total stays the same; you actually lose data drives if you choose to use multiple drives in the pool.

It's certainly true that the Limetech release history tends to imply it could be a fairly long time before a release with the pool is actually available ... although I do know that Tom is planning for this to be nowhere near as long as the last release cycle, since he's moving towards a 64-bit v6 release.  I wouldn't speculate on whether that will be weeks or months; but it's safe to say it won't be years  :)