[Solved]My ESXi 4.1/unRAID setup - kernel panic on boot up

hi,

Here is my hardware:

x9scm-iif, BIOS v2.0a

CPU E1230v2

32GB  (Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/8G DDR3-1333 8GB/1Gx72 ECC CL9 Server Memory)

HBA: LSI SAS 9211-8i (flashed with P17 IT firmware)

USB key - Kingston(DataTravel DTSE9 [16GB] - this one has the identical Vendor ID:Product ID as listed in http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1021345

h/d: Seagate ST1000DM003 (1TB) connected to 9211-8i

Power supply:  Seasonic X550W

Case:  no name ATX case

external NIC: 2 x  Intel Gigabit CT Desktop adapter

Run Case  1: run unRAID straight

- downloaded official unRAID 5.0 image, put it onto the USB key per instruction found on this site

- unRaid booted up via the USB key[inserted into the onboard usb header of the motherboard]; it found all the h/w without issue

- able to browse to //tower for further setup and configuration.

===

Run Case  2: Run under virtualization

- Install ESXi(4.1.0 update 03-800380) onto the ScanDisc  ReadyCache 32GB connected to onboard SATA port.

ESXi runs ok.

Setup unRaid VM with following hardware:

- LSI SA 9211-8i added as pass through

- USB controller 

- USB device  --> connected with the (DataTravel DTSE9) with unRAID 5.0[stock download], the key is inserted to the onboard usb header of the motherboard.

- CDROM attached with plpbt.iso (to help boot the unRAID on USB drive)

I followed the http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14695.0 post info to build the setup

I got kernel panic as shown in the attached screen capture while booting up unRAID.

I searched the forum for the "kernel panic" post; but did not get anything[well may be the info/hints are there, but it is just over my head :( ].  Help and pointers will be much appreciated.

As side note, FWIW: I am able to boot and run FreeNAS[v9.1] under ESXi as VM on this same hardware setup -- I can see/access my 1 TB drive attached to the pass-thru 9211-8i.

Thanks,

kernel_panic.JPG.e5e728ce4f03366d9265124897cb133a.JPG

Have you tried the pre-built VMDKs here?  Also have you installed the VMware tools here?

My ESXi is 4.1 so I can't play with the pre-built vmdk(which is based on ESXi 5.x).  Although I can load ESXi 5.x; but I have read enough interesting stories of the various USB pass thru issues ;so I figured(may be wrongly) to just try my luck with the 4.1 version first:)

I will try the suggestion to load the 'open-vm-tools' -- looks like I only need to copy the.plg file to the /config/plugins of the USB drive and the tool would be auto-loaded as part of normal startup.

Cheers,

Have you tried the pre-built VMDKs here?  Also have you installed the VMware tools here?

My ESXi is 4.1 so I can't play with the pre-built vmdk(which is based on ESXi 5.x).  Although I can load ESXi 5.x; but I have read enough interesting stories of the various USB pass thru issues ;so I figured(may be wrongly) to just try my luck with the 4.1 version first:)

I will try the suggestion to load the 'open-vm-tools' -- looks like I only need to copy the.plg file to the /config/plugins of the USB drive and the tool would be auto-loaded as part of normal startup.

Cheers,

You can do that (use .plg).  I downloaded the .txz, .tgz file and put it in "extra" folder myself.  ESXi 5.0 has been fine for me but I started with 4.1 myself. 

When  I was on 4.1 I couldn't get the plop bootable CD that I created to work either.  I downloaded one that someone else created and that worked for me until I created my own VMDK to boot from.

I only suggested the bootable VMDKs because they have been proven to work and you might try it if you can upgrade to ESXi 5.0 on a temporary bases easily.

In the end, I am able to run unRAID 5.0 in ESXi as follows:

1. install ESXi 5.0u1 onto the same hardware(as stated in OP)

2. create a new VM, name it unRAID, then import the pre-built from post http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26639.msg233190#msg233190. 

3. enable pass-thru of the HBA for the VM

4. add the USB controller and USB device for the VM.

5. boot VM and it things look good (i.e. able to browse to //tower)