Gryphon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131977

Hi guys

building a new 10 disk rackmount with microATX MB. Will be used for storing ripped Blu-ray ISO's and recorded TV. Will stream up to two HD streams at one time. Probably going with Xenserver for virtualization. I realize it only has 6xSATA. Right now, I have only 5 drives so will buy a HBA when I need > 6.

Considering i7 4771 to go with it. vt-d is a must have

Appealing things are:

TUF

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)

1 x PCIe 2.0 x1

4K support on HDMI

ESD Guard

UEFI bios

Intel gigabit

Doesn't say anything about IPMI, which I understand is a good thing to have

this looks like a desktop MB thus no IPMI.

only a handful desktop grade MB offer IPMI as far as I know, and they usually cost more.

it is a very good thing to have (I am not even sure what I am going to do if my MB goes :-)  )

and I also think it's a bit overkill for a server.

you do not really need HDMI,  do you?

other than that, looks peaty good IMHO.

Thanks for reply

Forgot to mention it will run an HTPC; although, it looks like I'm hosed because of lack of HDCP support

The following is one reason to use something other than ESXi for virtualization:  ESXi offers very limited support to graphics card pass through (maybe just specific ATI models) and NO support to CPU graphics pass through.  I run my ESXi servers headless including the VMs.  I RDP into the Windows VMs and use the ESXi console for the unRAID consoles.  Don't know if other virtualization platforms allow pass through of CPU graphics or not but I'm reasonably certain they support graphics card pass through better.

I know the technical stuff but how are you going to connect vm to tv?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

The MB I'm buying has has HDMI. The plan was to use pass-thru on video, but I won;t be able to play HDCP protected content. Found a post on Xenserve web site they don;t support it and won't. Their market is the enterprise, which is fair enough.

Regards

Mark

Archived