Toshiba 3TB HDD $109.99

bw1

You can get the retail version of this drive for $99.99 thru today (11/7). So for $10 less you're getting an extra year warranty and better packaging. That's a win-win in my book.

Link to previous post: Toshiba 3TB HDD $99.99

I hesitated pulling the trigger but in my mind the retail drive is a pretty good deal. I've been trying to hold out on my 2TB drives until BF/CM and just jump up to 4TB. I'm thinking that OEM 3TB drives may go as low as $80 which would be cheaper but it's OEM vs. retail and I don't seem to have good luck getting the really good deals on BF/CM. To get the same $/TB on 4TB drives I'd have to see them going for $133 and while that may be possible they are likely to be gone in just a few minutes at that price. So I'm taking the "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" route and ordering two of the 3TB retail drives.

You're right, that is a better deal. That's why I started adding warranty info and $ per TB.

I don't think we'll see many deals for 4TB below $140, but that's the price I'm hoping for.

I've been holding out on putting any 7200 RPM drives in my server and would like to stick to "green" drives.

I'm not sure we'll even see any NAS drives below $40 per TB this year.

I've also avoided 7200 rpm drives because they were hot and consumed more power however the newer 7200 rpm drives with 1TB platters have significantly reduced the gap between 7200 and green drives.

I'm converting from 2TB green drives (WD and Hitachi) to all 7200 3TB drives with 1TB platters. I haven't measured my power consumption since adding two 7200 rpm drives but I doubt it is a significant increase. However I do know that those Toshiba 3TB drives absolutely blow away the green drives in terms of performance. I precleared a 3TB Toshiba drive in just about the same time it takes to preclear a 2TB WD green drive and the last 1TB of my parity check speeds are more than 50% faster than the first 2TBs where the green drives are being read. I haven't checked write speeds to the array yet but I bet those went up as well.