D-316M shipping to Australia?

Hi Tom

I really want to order the D-316M case from Limetech since I am close to growing past my 10TB capacity on my current setup.

All the shipping options listed when checking out are incredibly overpriced, the shipping costs are close to the price of the item? Im wondering if there are alternate safe methods of shipping available? please test to postcode 2160 if you like.

Here is a screenshot

Screen_Shot_2013_11_13_at_8_34_55_am.png

Thanks  ;)

All the shipping options listed when checking out are incredibly overpriced, the shipping costs are close to the price of the item? Im wondering if there are alternate safe methods of shipping available? please test to postcode 2160 if you like.

We never mark up shipping, most of the time we eat a little in shipping.  I double checked shipping with FedEx for Int'l Economy and the amount there is correct.  Without specifying the dimension of the box it comes to about $100 less, but once you enter 28x22x10 (inches) it jumps to $470.47; why? I don't know.  The extra $5 is for additional insurance.  Usually USPS is less.  The best I can do is USPS Global Express Guaranteed, which I can get down to $306.40 but there is minimal insurance.  If you want to go with this send me an email [email protected]

I know international shipping is very expensive.  It's been a thorn in my side for years now.  If you can find a less expensive carrier, I'm all for it.  The case is 32 lbs., 28x22x10 dimensions.  Ship from Carlsbad CA 92010 or 92009.

We never mark up shipping, most of the time we eat a little in shipping.  I double checked shipping with FedEx for Int'l Economy and the amount there is correct.  Without specifying the dimension of the box it comes to about $100 less, but once you enter 28x22x10 (inches) it jumps to $470.47; why? I don't know.  The extra $5 is for additional insurance.  Usually USPS is less.  The best I can do is USPS Global Express Guaranteed, which I can get down to $306.40 but there is minimal insurance.  If you want to go with this send me an email [email protected]

I know international shipping is very expensive.  It's been a thorn in my side for years now.  If you can find a less expensive carrier, I'm all for it.  The case is 32 lbs., 28x22x10 dimensions.  Ship from Carlsbad CA 92010 or 92009.

Not that this needs saying but Tom is correct.  Having built and shipped complete servers over seas shipping is never cheap and can not be. 

The main issue is  the size and weight of the package being shipped.  We can generally ship complete servers for nearly the same cost as just a case.  So long as you don't go over about 75 lbs the price does not fluctuate a whole lot.

The main issue is  the size and weight of the package being shipped.  We can generally ship complete servers for nearly the same cost as just a case.  So long as you don't go over about 75 lbs the price does not fluctuate a whole lot.

This is because carriers charge by what is known as "dimensional weight".  It's no secret that flying a jet to say, Australia from the US, is expensive. The space in the cargo hold is therefore priced not only according to weight, but also "area" consumed. If the plane were filled with a bunch of very large, very light boxes and the carrier charged by weight alone they would probably lose money (or at least not make as much as they would prefer to).  Enter dimensional weight. Basically they are charging you for a certain weight based on the area (cubic inches, cubic centimeters, etc) the package occupies whether the package actually weighs that much or not. 

If you use FedEx's dimensional weight calculator and enter the size and weight Tom stated above, you can see you are being charged for a 45 lb package, even though it weighs 32 lb. Not sure that calculator is applicable to Australia specifically, but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.fedex.com/fr_english/tools/dimweight.html

Does this help?

Wow that does help, may use shipito.com... Ive heard of it before but never really considered it? would you be willing to ship it to there warehouse Tom. There prices seem reasonable  :) I understand items of this size and weight cost a fair bit to ship over.

Yes, I'll have some time today to look into this.

Does this help?

Wow that does help, may use shipito.com... Ive heard of it before but never really considered it? would you be willing to ship it to there warehouse Tom. There prices seem reasonable  :) I understand items of this size and weight cost a fair bit to ship over.

Note: quotes here are as of 11-13-2013 and may not be valid for any other date.

Cost to ship 28x22x10 32# box to Torrance CA 90503 via FedEx Ground with $400 insurance is: $19.41 and will take 1 business day (Torrance is not far from us).

The sales tax rate for Torrance is 9.0% - in USA sales tax is calculated on Ship To address relative to shipping origin.  Since we are in CA we must charge sales tax for tangible goods shipped anywhere in the state, but not for anywhere outside the state (and CA does not require sales tax for downloads).  Technically, since we don't have a "nexus" in Torrance, we only have to charge the CA state rate of 7.5% and onus is on customer to "declare" and pay district sales tax (1.5% in this case) on their CA state tax returns (but few do this).  Probably shipito will want us to charge the full 9%.

Alternately, shipping same box to their sales-tax-free location in Tualatin, OR 97062, FedEx quotes $23.09 and will take 3 business days.

So there you have it.  I don't know if it's worth it to you or not.  I'd like to have an Aussie distributor but so far we don't.

Imagine a day in the future though (and maybe not that far off) where you can download plans for a case and print it locally on a 3-D printer!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

it's a bit sad that shipping just a box is so expensive when I have shipped a car from japan to australia for less than $1k...

Find someone who is going to the USA to bring it back for you - I used to go over from aus a few times a year and just queued everything up for each trip.. :-)

Fancy working something out with me? I could easily be a UK/Euro distributor?  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Going to throw something in here. How would reutrns and support work with extreme shipping.

For instance if you send something to me in the UK and its wrong or broken it is solely your cost for all returns and replacements.

How does this work the customer requested trans shipping via a box shipper?

It gets complicated fast

Yes, it can get complex.  I'd think the risk is all on the buyer, since LimeTech's delivery is actually to the trans-shipper (e.g. in this case to Tualatin, OR ).  Once the trans-shipper accepts the delivery, any subsequent damages wouldn't be LimeTech's responsibility.

Note that Ship-To DOES offer insurance at reasonable rates (free with some options).  How much of a hassle it is to file claims through that I have no idea, but at least the shipment is covered.    And for the amount you can save in shipping costs, it's likely worthwhile to take a bit of a risk  :)

I am, however, glad I don't live somewhere that I have to contend with those shipping costs !!