Differences between tiers other than drive count?

On the main Lime Technology website the only difference described between Plus and Pro is drive count; however, I found somewhere on the Wiki that security features also differ between the tiers.

I want to run the Active Directory authentication; however, I won't need more than seven drives. Will AD work on Plus or do I have to get the Pro license?

On the main Lime Technology website the only difference described between Plus and Pro is drive count; however, I found somewhere on the Wiki that security features also differ between the tiers.

I want to run the Active Directory authentication; however, I won't need more than seven drives. Will AD work on Plus or do I have to get the Pro license?

Here's the feature matrix, not sure wtf happened to it on website, we'll fix that asap:

Basic

- supports 3 array drives

- supports Public and Secure security mode

Plus

- supports 6 array drives

- supports cache drive (for 7 total drives supported)

- supports Public, Secure, Private security mode

Pro

- supports 24 total drives

- supports cache drive

- supports Public, Secure, Private -or- Active Directory

Active Directory sort of "takes over" if activated.  That is, the whole notion of "public, secure, private" goes out the window (as does "users" defined in the unRaid server), and all security is handled via users, groups, and extended attributes via the domain controller.

That said, if mixing AD with another protocol, such as AFP, then AFP would still need local users defined, and still have the "public, secure, private" security model [unless AFP is integrated into AD which I've heard is possible but haven't tried this].

So AD is far more resource-intensive effort on our part, which is why we made it a Pro-only feature.  That said, the reason I keep taking high interest in it is because with Samba 4, we can now have an unRaid server be an AD domain controller.  This is potentially a very nice feature for business use of the server.  My plan is to develop the DC part of it in a future release, and at that time perhaps let DC be a Pro feature and client access be a Plus or even Basic feature.

If you need AD now and only need 7 drives, send me an email and we can work something out: [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

If you need AD now and only need 7 drives, send me an email and we can work something out: [email protected]

Heh heh heh, pretty much opening the flood gates on that one :D