unRAID Server Release 5.0.2-i386 Available

limetech

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the reply from midPhase support re: disconnections:

Thank you for contacting us back. I am sorry about the issues you are having. There is not a limit as to how many clients can connect at one time to your account to download information. If you can provide us the error messages your clients are getting when they get disconnected that might help us to figure out what is happening.

Also do you know if any of your clients use Time Warner Internet service provider? This ISP is having network issues that will not properly connect to our data center some times. This could be causing this issue as well if your clients do use Time Warner ISP.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us.

If you are having download issues, I'll pass along anything you might have, e.g., screenshots.

...If you can provide us the error messages your clients are getting...

No error messages.  In just a few seconds the download is "done" as if it finished normally, but the downloaded file is only a few megabytes big (different every time).

...if any of your clients use Time Warner Internet service provider?

No Time Warner ISP in my town.

I do indeed use Time Warner; but have also had this issue at some friends' homes who do not use them.    The message is usually "Unable to download this file", but I've also had the same experience Finka noted above => the download appears to complete, but is not the right size and is clearly corrupt.

There are quite a few folks who have reported issues with this, so there's clearly something that's not working right.

Here's the reply from midPhase support re: disconnections:

Thank you for contacting us back. I am sorry about the issues you are having. There is not a limit as to how many clients can connect at one time to your account to download information. If you can provide us the error messages your clients are getting when they get disconnected that might help us to figure out what is happening.

Also do you know if any of your clients use Time Warner Internet service provider? This ISP is having network issues that will not properly connect to our data center some times. This could be causing this issue as well if your clients do use Time Warner ISP.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us.

If you are having download issues, I'll pass along anything you might have, e.g., screenshots.

Had no problems downloading from Time Warner in Orange County, CA ... FWIW

Using IE 8, 9 and 10, I have had similar issues downloading from other sites but never here.  In those cases I would click on the link to the file and would be prompted at the bottom of the screen if I wanted to Save, Save As or Open.  I would choose Save As and the download would start but eventually fail with a message something like "the download did not complete successfully".

If I right-clicked on the same link and selected Save Target As, it would work every time.

Go figure.  :-\

John

How safe is it to upgrade from 4.7 to this new 5.0.2 release? Any reason to worry? I've been on 4.7 for years now but would love to be able to sleep the server as well as scale down the AMD CPU as it runs at full speed all the time. I don't have anywhere else to backup the data, this server IS my backup :)

Gary will love this:

I don't have anywhere else to backup the data, this server IS my backup [img alt=:)]http://lime-technology.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif[/img]

With respect to your update:

No risk no fun  ;D

No, seriously speaking.

First go for the 5.0 final. Follow the instructions in the release-thread and it should run smoothly.

From 5.0 to 5.0.2 it's just about replacing some files.

...If you can provide us the error messages your clients are getting...

No error messages.  In just a few seconds the download is "done" as if it finished normally, but the downloaded file is only a few megabytes big (different every time).

...if any of your clients use Time Warner Internet service provider?

No Time Warner ISP in my town.

Exactly the same for me, downloading from Mexico.

How safe is it to upgrade from 4.7 to this new 5.0.2 release? Any reason to worry? I've been on 4.7 for years now but would love to be able to sleep the server as well as scale down the AMD CPU as it runs at full speed all the time. I don't have anywhere else to backup the data, this server IS my backup :)

I'm writing a better upgrade doc, and will post it here when done.

... this server IS my backup :)

UnRAID is NOT a backup -- unless you're backing up data that's already on another system.  But if the data is ONLY on your UnRAID server, then it is NOT "backed up"

Any data that's important to you should always be stored in at least two DIFFERENT places ... no matter how fault-tolerant either of those may be.

UnRAID is NOT a backup -- unless you're backing up data that's already on another system.  But if the data is ONLY on your UnRAID server, then it is NOT "backed up"

Any data that's important to you should always be stored in at least two DIFFERENT places ... no matter how fault-tolerant either of those may be.

Yes, I understand that. Any sensitive documents live on at least 2 computers including the unRAID server. But a lot of the stuff are large files and another server isn't in the budget right now.

it should run smoothly.

This is what I worry about. So if something does go wrong is it possible to recover?

My main reason for choosing Unraid (the same reason why I ran Windows Home Server v1) is that when everything fails, the disks themselves are normal linux formatted disks, which can be place in another machine and the contents can be read.

So even in the case of double (or triple) disk failure you can always get to the data on the non failed disks, and perhaps try the failed disks in a pc as well (most of the time a disk failure is not a complete failure, and you can recover most data from it).

All other raid systems always employ "custom" striping schemes, and if the machine cannot recover the array, most of the time *all* data on *all* disks is lost. Recovery is very difficult in these cases.

My main reason for choosing Unraid (the same reason why I ran Windows Home Server v1) is that when everything fails, the disks themselves are normal linux formatted disks, which can be place in another machine and the contents can be read.

So even in the case of double (or triple) disk failure you can always get to the data on the non failed disks, and perhaps try the failed disks in a pc as well (most of the time a disk failure is not a complete failure, and you can recover most data from it).

All other raid systems always employ "custom" striping schemes, and if the machine cannot recover the array, most of the time *all* data on *all* disks is lost. Recovery is very difficult in these cases.

Well, hopefully it never comes to that. I won't have time to do the upgrade in case there are complications until after Xmas anyways.

These are the errors listed in the first link:  download.lime-technology.com

- The indicated domain download.lime-technology.com is not a zone: no authority information is announced for it. download.lime-technology.com may be a simple domain; it is handled by parent zone lime-technology.com. No authoritative servers could be reached to fetch authority parameters: this zone appears to be currently blacked out of the Internet, no domains in it can be resolved.

- lime-technology.com delegates its DNS to 1 servers. This does not fulfill DNS' requirements, which mandate a minimum of 2 servers for each zone. As soon as the server will experience some downtime, all services associated with lime-technology.com will vanish from the Internet. You should get DNS redundancy immediately to fix this.

- The DNS servers listed as authoritative for lime-technology.com are NOT sufficiently distributed. A range of clients can suffer extensive DNS latencies based on their geographical location, and the stability and availability of DNS can be affected by network problems, power outages, or natural disasters.

- None of the servers serving lime-technology.com's DNS is reachable via IPv6. IPv6-enabled clients lime-technology.com will need to revert to compatibility IPv4 protocol for every look up of services of lime-technology.com. A growing number a IPv6-only clients will be unable to perform such look ups.

I said once before and was ignored (or no one noticed), but Tom why not post an alternate .torrent download link? With a torrent the community can mirror the release for free, and it doesn't use up your bandwidth. Just food for thought.

I suggest this a while back also. We used to do it.

I had compiled ctorrent as a static binary to make it easier for people too.