kernel panic after replacing parity drive

lumpumun

Hi everybody,

After preclearing a WD 4T hdd, I changed the current parity drive of 2T for the 4T one.

Everything was working well before the swap. First I copied my pro.key to the /boot/config folder. What I did next was stopping the array and shutting down via the unraid web interface. Then I pulled the cable off the sata connector on both disks and put each cable back in its new destination. The new 4T parity drive is occupying the same motherboard sata slot as the old 2T one. Other than that I switched a drive that was ready preclearing (not part of the array) by an other one to be precleared.

Then the server was powerd up again.

None of it's services are available. Attaching a monitor showed what seems to me a kernel panic. I took a picture of it and attached it to this post.

Someone any idea what I should do next?

Thank you,

Herman

what version of unraid,

you are best to attach disks & pre clear them before adding them 1 at a time.

did you do a backup of you usb & keep a print on the hdd arrangement before starting this.

I always telenet in to the towers to check there is no errors there after previously getting a Reiserfs error on 2 drives awhile back, I removed them both & rebuilt the array then, but I wouldn't do that again just rebuild the Reiserfs tree.

I built a basic server with the 2 & a blank parity & recovered most of what I had, but that is the long way round.

Hi everybody,

After preclearing a WD 4T hdd, I changed the current parity drive of 2T for the 4T one.

Everything was working well before the swap. First I copied my pro.key to the /boot/config folder. What I did next was stopping the array and shutting down via the unraid web interface. Then I pulled the cable off the sata connector on both disks and put each cable back in its new destination. The new 4T parity drive is occupying the same motherboard sata slot as the old 2T one. Other than that I switched a drive that was ready preclearing (not part of the array) by an other one to be precleared.

Then the server was powerd up again.

None of it's services are available. Attaching a monitor showed what seems to me a kernel panic. I took a picture of it and attached it to this post.

Someone any idea what I should do next?

Thank you,

Herman

There is no attachment. Can you connect via telnet?

Preclearing the disks before adding is what I always do. Making a copy of the thumb drive I did forgot..oeps. Print on the hdd arrangement...check. Other then that the problem solved itself somehow after a reboot.

However every time the bios is started, it reports a cpu fan error and prompts for hitting F2 if user wishes to continue.

Is the fan drawing to much power?

I forgot the attachment. Now there is one. If someone knowledgeable can shed some light on this...super?

IMG_0942.jpg.9e79746efd32009f876351e30386c40b.jpg

However every time the bios is started, it reports a cpu fan error and prompts for hitting F2 if user wishes to continue.

Is the fan drawing to much power?

Open up the case and see if the fan is running!!!

and make sure the CPU heatsink is still attached properly. 

(and make sure you used the heat-sink compound properly, as too much will cause the CPU to overheat)

Fan is running and temperature is in check.

See:

Sensor info (from /usr/bin/sensors)
atk0110-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
Vcore Voltage:     +1.17 V  (min =  +0.80 V, max =  +1.80 V)
+3.3 Voltage:     +3.30 V  (min =  +2.97 V, max =  +3.63 V)
+5 Voltage:       +4.92 V  (min =  +4.50 V, max =  +5.50 V)
+12 Voltage:     +12.15 V  (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)
CPU FAN Speed:    2177 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
CHASSIS FAN Speed:1824 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
POWER FAN Speed:   615 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
CPU Temperature:   +35.0 C  (high = +60.0 C, crit = +95.0 C)  
MB Temperature:    +26.0 C  (high = +45.0 C, crit = +95.0 C)  

Archived