EXPIRED: WD Red 4TB $179 at Newegg

jumperalex

I'm not buying any more hard drives from Newegg until it has been confirmed that they have learned how to properly pack drives. Another member here say said that they are obtaining the correct packaging materials, so I'll sit tight until then. Plus the price will likely drop once the 5TB drives are released.

I think I'm the poster boy when it comes to how Newegg should NOT ship their drives.    See the picture in my post here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10388.msg255675#msg255675

However, I HAVE bought a few recently, and they were packed in a custom-made hard plastic drive container that was nicely wrapped packaged in the box, so perhaps they've learned.  They were, however, in a box with a bunch of other stuff (motherboard/CPU/etc.) ... whereas the 2 drives I just ordered are a much smaller order.  It'll be interesting to see if they're also well packed.

I think I'm the poster boy when it comes to how Newegg should NOT ship their drives.    See the picture in my post here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10388.msg255675#msg255675

However, I HAVE bought a few recently, and they were packed in a custom-made hard plastic drive container that was nicely wrapped packaged in the box, so perhaps they've learned.  They were, however, in a box with a bunch of other stuff (motherboard/CPU/etc.) ... whereas the 2 drives I just ordered are a much smaller order.  It'll be interesting to see if they're also well packed.

I'll keep an eye on that post for updates.

I thought it was well established that the packing depends entirely on which warehouse / distribution center the order is shipped from.

I received a pair of drives from the Whittier CA warehouse a couple weeks ago, packed with the new packing sleeve.  Both drives pre-cleared successfully and are now in use. 

But they should tape the sleeve closed.  If an air pillow or two breaks, there is a possibility the drive could escape from the sleeve.