First Build - Q25B

The ethernet port is definitely working. I see that the lights are on and I can see my UNRAID machine come up in Network places from another computer. I can even access the thumb drive.

I'm thinking that the driver isn't supported. I've attached my syslog but I think this line 'Nov 26 02:15:48 Tower kernel: e1000e: Intel® PRO/1000 Network Driver - 2.2.14-k' is which driver I need. How do I go about getting that driver added to UNRAID (loading it into the go script)?

I've been following the configuration tutorial and this seems to be one of the steps here (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial#Verifying_Network_Connectivity). Can I skip this step if I can already access it over the network?

syslog.zip

If you can access the system over the network, then clearly your NIC is working  :)

Not sure why you're getting the ifconfig messages ... but it clearly doesn't matter if the network is working !!    I think it's very unlikely you need to add a driver for an Intel NIC ... UnRAID definitely has support for the Intel units.

The ethernet port is definitely working. I see that the lights are on and I can see my UNRAID machine come up in Network places from another computer. I can even access the thumb drive.

I've been following the configuration tutorial and this seems to be one of the steps here (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial#Verifying_Network_Connectivity). Can I skip this step if I can already access it over the network?

I think dirtysanchez nailed it, seems like a typo in the command. And yes you can definitely skip that part ;) And no, there is nothing wrong with your network card since it's connected to your local network.

Reading the configuration tutorial it seems a bit odd that it relies on telnet and command line while you could simply type tower in your browser to test for connectivity. Only if there were problems you should go to command line for troubleshooting.

I began many decades ago on Dos with no mouse or hard drive and I didn't think it would be hard to set up Unraid. The thing is, Dos had much better documentation.

90% of the problems new users have are because of the info supplied to them. Like when you say type Tower into the browser, that doesn't work, it has to be //tower.

The instructions are full of weaknesses like that, and when you have a problem you are linked all over the place to find what you need, but you either get linked to a 500 post thread to find your answer or linked to an answer that is outdated because of the new version you are trying to install.

I didn't have any of the problems Ryanth had, while having the same exact parts, but later on while trying to run multiple screens for preclear and setting up email notifications I was at my witts end. That all took much longer than it should have because of the lack of proper documentation, and even when I was able to set up multiple screens I was never able to re-enter them.

You almost lost me when I tried to set up the server to stream to dnla clients and the whole thing froze and bitched up.

Seriously, it gets to the point that it is not worth it, and it is very likely Ryanth got to that point.

I began many decades ago on Dos with no mouse or hard drive and I didn't think it would be hard to set up Unraid. The thing is, Dos had much better documentation.

90% of the problems new users have are because of the info supplied to them. Like when you say type Tower into the browser, that doesn't work, it has to be //tower.

The instructions are full of weaknesses like that, and when you have a problem you are linked all over the place to find what you need, but you either get linked to a 500 post thread to find your answer or linked to an answer that is outdated because of the new version you are trying to install.

I didn't have any of the problems Ryanth had, while having the same exact parts, but later on while trying to run multiple screens for preclear and setting up email notifications I was at my witts end. That all took much longer than it should have because of the lack of proper documentation, and even when I was able to set up multiple screens I was never able to re-enter them.

You almost lost me when I tried to set up the server to stream to dnla clients and the whole thing froze and bitched up.

Seriously, it gets to the point that it is not worth it, and it is very likely Ryanth got to that point.

While I won't argue the fact that unRaid documentation is less than stellar and could be improved, I do believe that for the most part with unRaid you get out of it what you put into it. I spent countless hours reading the forums and searching for answers to my specific questions BEFORE I ever attempted to get things setup. I didn't have many issues with my install and the few that I did have I answered myself by searching the forums.  I'm not saying you shouldn't post a question if you can't figure it out yourself, but most people post a question WITHOUT trying to answer it themselves.

I also started with DOS decades ago, and I was a complete Linux novice before unRaid, so I knew what I was getting into and that there would be a lot to learn. Just because there are a lot of plugins and other cool things you can do with unRaid doesn't mean it is supported. If you head down the route of anything other than a stock unRaid you should expect to possibly have issues and get frustrated.

This isn't aimed at you or Ryanth, so please don't take it that way. I'm also not trying to talk anyone out of using unRaid, the larger the user base the better, but the fact of the matter is some people are better off with a NAS appliance such as a Drobo or QNAP.

I started with Autocoder on an IBM 1401  :)

... and my initial PC experiences were paper tape on an Altair (~ 1975).  My first disk-based OS was CP/M ... years before DOS  8)

Nevertheless, relative to the learning curve for many of those earlier OS's, UnRAID is VERY simple to set up IF you're just using it as a NAS.  It's the plugins and add-ons that can make it complex, and that often cause issues.

While it's true that for modest amounts of storage and a simple, low-power box, an appliance like QNAP, the HP Microserver, etc. may be a simple choice, if you have a spare system that's based on relatively modern hardware (Sandy Bridge or later), the power efficiency should be quite good, and it's very simple to set up an UnRAID Basic system.    The trick is to do as dirtysanchez did -- read the details FIRST -- and ask any questions you may have BEFORE you do something wrong.

I agree garycase.  Perhaps my earlier post came off too harsh, I didn't intend it to.  A basic unRaid system should be achievable by most anyone, and it's a great use for an otherwise aged PC even.  My old Core2 Duo would have made a great 2nd unRaid box (albeit not the most energy efficient), but the kid wanted it instead.  ;D

IBM 1401?  Wow that goes way back.  To be fair, I really started on Trash-80's and my trusty old Commodore 64.  I was only 5 years old when you were using the Altair back in 1975.

It seems like most of the active members have a pretty long history with computers. I too have history dating back to msx/c64, Amiga ja 386. unRAID was my first Linux based system and still is. If I hadn't had the experience from the dos age I think unRAID would have been much harder to approach. I would say you should either have dos/Linux experience or lot of enthusiasm and time to get most out of unRAID. If you just want simple NAS with minimal effort I would recommend QNAP, Drobo and such.

Hmmm, when I type "tower" in browser (Firefox, Chrome at least) it takes me to the main page of unRAID. In Windows explorer you would type "\\tower". Your //tower seems Linux based which I would not know too much since I don't have any Linux clients. I think OP was using windows thus I think my post was correct.

... In Windows explorer you would type "\\tower". Your //tower seems Linux based ...

Nothing "Linux" about the network addressing.  \\tower is the network reference for Windows Explorer for accessing the shares;  //tower is a URL address for the Web GUI ... you use this in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc. to access the main web page.

... In Windows explorer you would type "\\tower". Your //tower seems Linux based ...

Nothing "Linux" about the network addressing.  \\tower is the network reference for Windows Explorer for accessing the shares;  //tower is a URL address for the Web GUI ... you use this in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc. to access the main web page.

Here we go again ;) Two things:

1. The main point was that you can actually type "tower" in all major browsers and it will take you to the main page of unRAID. The comment was that I gave false instructions which in this case was not true.

2. "//tower" is definitely not an URL. "http://tower" would be an URL (reference). It is true that that all major browsers accept incomplete and even erronous strings as URLs but that does not make them URLs.

The bottom line: you can type "tower", "//tower" or "http://tower" and they will all take you to the main page of unRAID.

Agree ... I should have been more clear r.e. what I was commenting on.  The key part of my post was "Nothing 'Linux" ..."  about the concept.  I was referring to your comment "... Your //tower seems Linux based "

You can also type tower, //tower, or http://tower in any Linux-based browser as well.

You are, of course, absolutely correct that a fully-formed URL is really the only "proper" URL.

Heh I bet typing O instead of 0 is what I did. I'm at my parents house for the holidays and will try again after for the holiday weekend.

I have been following these forums for a couple of months and have been reading a lot of the tutorials etc. I try not to post until I've banged my head for a few hours but I do get stuck eventually. The documentation is definitely lacking and the forum posts often go around in circles but I am reading them!

Half the fun of building your own server is that you have to figure some of it out yourself. It'd be nice if the documentation was more up to date but I'm still having fun and I like being able to say I built it myself.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm sure I'll be back.

I tried again and typed 'eth config' and was able to get the proper print out. I tried eth1-9 and none of them worked. But I was able to do what I needed.

I'm on to pre-clearing now and have 2 drives going for 3 cycles each. I managed to get the email setup and have been getting regular updates on the process, it seems silly that the final report doesn't send and instead has to be retrieved manually.

One question I had is will the final reports of each cycle be saved? Or will they be overwritten each time a drive's cycle completes?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried again and typed 'eth config' and was able to get the proper print out. I tried eth1-9 and none of them worked. But I was able to do what I needed.

I'm on to pre-clearing now and have 2 drives going for 3 cycles each. I managed to get the email setup and have been getting regular updates on the process, it seems silly that the final report doesn't send and instead has to be retrieved manually.

One question I had is will the final reports of each cycle be saved? Or will they be overwritten each time a drive's cycle completes?

you typed it wrong again.

its

ifconfig eth0

or

ethtool eth0

Glad that resolved it.  Several larger flash drives aren't treated as removable units by Windows ... not sure exactly what the threshold is, as it's not always the same size => it's likely a combination of the exact Windows version and the specific flash unit.

In any event ... for anyone else who notices this and has the same issue ... you just need to look for the message about not being a removable drive =>and if you see that, just add the -f parameter.

Tom COULD just add the -f parameter to Make_Bootable and it would always work => BUT that would also mean that if you ran it from the wrong drive (i.e. the system drive on your PC) it would TRASH that drive !!    Probably NOT a good idea  :)

gary i think it actually has something to do with the hardware ID's or flags in the chip of the usb device. i've had 64gb sticks work ok and 2gb sticks dont.

the easiest way to determine if its marked as removable by windows is to right click on it in my computer. if you get an eject option its marked as removable, otherwise its not.