Lian-Li PC-Q25B with CX500 ?

Franky4Fingers

I see many are using CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W , in their system, will the 500W be an issue? The dimensions appear to be the same.  It was $25 after MIR, thats why I went with the 500

LIAN LI PC-Q25B

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112339&Tpk=LIAN%20LI%20PC-Q25B

CORSAIR CX series CX500 500W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

thanks

That will be fine. All standard ATX power supplies are the same size.

An SFX power supply works much better in that case though, as it provides a lot more room.  The ATX supply will work fine but takes up a LOT of space. If price is the main concern, stick with the ATX supply though, as the most common used SFX supply is around $75.

All standard ATX power supplies are the same size.

NO!  Not at all true.  TWO of the dimensions are standard ... but different units are different depths.  They're all 5.9"w x 3.4" h ... but the length varies.  Both the CX430 and CX500 are 5.5" long;  but (using just a couple other Corsair units as examples) the TX650 is 6.3" long, and the HX850 is 7.1" long.  Many of the excellent Seasonic units are 6.3" or longer.

An SFX power supply works much better in that case though, as it provides a lot more room.

Absolutely !!  Not even close.  An SFX unit makes this a MUCH nicer build.

An SFX power supply works much better in that case though, as it provides a lot more room.  The ATX supply will work fine but takes up a LOT of space.

About the only possible reason I can think of to use an ATX unit is either you already have one; or you don't want to pay the small premium for an SFX unit.  Although I tend to buy units that are more expensive, this is a nice 80+ certified Seasonic SFX unit for only $45:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151063

If you want to use an ATX unit in that case, I'd install it with the Lian-Li extender, so you have more "breathing room"  [and finger-manipulation room  :)] in the case:  http://www.coolerguys.com/llpe01.html

By the way, Lian-Li's specs for the Q25B indicate a maximum length of 140mm for the power supply.    That's 5.51"  :)

And they're quite right.  The first build I did with a Lian-Li I had ordered a nice Seasonic Modular PSU unit, but it would NOT fit in the case.    I happened to have a CX-430 sitting around (from a build where I changed my mind and used a better unit) ... so I used it.    That was the first and LAST Q25B I did with an ATX power supply.

[The extender does, of course, not only provide more room with an ATX unit, but also allows the use of longer power supplies.]

NO!  Not at all true.  TWO of the dimensions are standard ... but different units are different depths.  They're all 5.9"w x 3.4" h ... but the length varies.  Both the CX430 and CX500 are 5.5" long;  but (using just a couple other Corsair units as examples) the TX650 is 6.3" long, and the HX850 is 7.1" long.  Many of the excellent Seasonic units are 6.3" or longer.

Absolutely correct. I was referring to height and width. I forgot the depth can vary.

Absolutely correct. I was referring to height and width. I forgot the depth can vary.

... and the depth, of course, is the critical dimension when trying to use an ATX unit in a PC-Q25B  :) :)