The Monolith - 17-drive Fractal Design XL R2 build [initial build complete]

Out of interest which trays did you order from the spare parts shop?

A search for "tray" brings back several, many of which look the same but are different prices.

Also, which contact email are you using to communicate with them? I just replied to the order confirmation email that I had when ordering the lower cage.

The part was HDD-Tray white (DEF-R4-HDD-TRAY).

I contacted FD tech support via [email protected], and the store itself via the contact form on the website.

An interesting note.  On the US store for accessories (Fractal lists two stores where you can buy these -- one in the US and one in Germany), the drive cage DOES include the trays !  :)

http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/item.php?cat=All+Categories&id=9936&com=d41d8cd9&que=%22fractal%20design%22

http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/item.php?cat=All+Categories&id=9935&com=d41d8cd9&que=%22fractal%20design%22

Note: "... white trays included ..." is included in the description for both the top and bottom cages.

Very interesting outcome.  I wonder if there's any correlation between removing the picture from the website and your correspondence with them.

... also very interesting that the same spare part is packaged differently at US and European suppliers.  They do, however, have slightly different part numbers [The European part is "DEF-R4-LOWER-HDD-CAGE", whereas the US part is "FD-SPARE-DEF-R4-HDD-BOTTOM".  And the European site does clearly say "(without trays)".

Very interesting outcome.  I wonder if there's any correlation between removing the picture from the website and your correspondence with them.

I'm sure there is :)

... also very interesting that the same spare part is packaged differently at US and European suppliers.  They do, however, have slightly different part numbers [The European part is "DEF-R4-LOWER-HDD-CAGE", whereas the US part is "FD-SPARE-DEF-R4-HDD-BOTTOM".  And the European site does clearly say "(without trays)".

Oops, didn't notice that, changed my previous reply.

It definitely didn't say that it didn't come with the trays - not when I followed your link to it anyway.

I suspect it's been changed because both you and I have been in touch and questioned them about it. I have had an email back to tell me that they are sending me some trays as well, hopefully this week.

Quick question - did the trays they sent include the screws for mounting the drives into them?

Ouch !!  I wonder if this is purchased from the US site (which clearly includes the trays) if it includes the screws as well  :)

I don't have any need at the moment, but the next time I buy a fractal case I think I'll buy the extra cage ... so I'll find out then !!

I wouldn't be surprised. And I'm sure the prices for the cage including the trays is less in the US than the trayless cage in the EU :o

I wouldn't be surprised. And I'm sure the prices for the cage including the trays is less in the US than the trayless cage in the EU :o

$16.65 for the bottom cage with drives:  http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/item.php?cat=All+Categories&id=9935&com=d41d8cd9&que=%22fractal%20design%22

As expected: here it is 16 EUR = 21 USD, without trays. EUR price does include VAT, while the USD price you quoted doesn't include sales tax, but that's not nearly enough to explain the difference.

This is nothing new to us euros, though  >:(

So they sell the extra cage...

...but it doesn't include trays...

...but they sell the trays (or send them free of charge in your and hopefully my case)...

...but you don't get the screws...

...and they don't sell the screws separately (as far as I could see)...

So you can buy the cage and trays and still be unable to mount the drives :(

I bet the trays didn't include the rubber grommets either did they?

I have emailed to ask if they can include some screws when sending my trays out, but in case they don't. Does anybody have any idea what type of screws they are? Is there a "proper" name for them? So I can look for an alternative source.

Definitely poorly packaged -- I sure hope the cage w/trays the US supplier sells includes the screws and grommets !!  [One of these days I'll find out, but I'm not going to buy one until I actually have a case to use it with  :) ]

I did note that the European supplier sells an "Accessory Kit", which I suspect is an extra set of the hardware (screws/etc.) ... this would PROBABLY  include what you need -- but there's NO description of just what's included in it on their web site !!

http://www.fractal-design-shop.de/index.php?a=229

Definitely poorly packaged -- I sure hope the cage w/trays the US supplier sells includes the screws and grommets !!  [One of these days I'll find out, but I'm not going to buy one until I actually have a case to use it with  :) ]

I did note that the European supplier sells an "Accessory Kit", which I suspect is an extra set of the hardware (screws/etc.) ... this would PROBABLY  include what you need -- but there's NO description of just what's included in it on their web site !!

http://www.fractal-design-shop.de/index.php?a=229

Yes, that's the kit I mentioned earlier. It's the exact same kit that comes with the case itself, so it includes the necessary screws.

The trays did come with grommets for the screws, at least.

• 1 month later...

Quick update. We had a hour+ long power outage, woke up to the wailing of my UPSs. After ten or so minutes, the shutdown script did its job, and wound down the array gracefully. 60-day uptime record!

Otherwise things are going smoothly, the array keeps chugging on and gets out of the way.

• 4 months later...

I'm wanting to add the extra cage is well for my HTPC / Server in a Define XL R2 case, but have some concerns about heat management.  Did you guys run into any issues or implement any solutions?

Puget systems also offers the Define XL R2 Lower HDD Cage

http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/item.php?cat=All+Categories&id=9942&com=d41d8cd9&que=%22fractal%20design%22

This one has 4 bays, instead of the 3-bay R4 lower cage that Fractal recommends in their FAQ.  This 4-bay cage must be the one the OP went with.

On a side note, looks like they have the R2 140mm case fans for $5 right now.  Smokin' deal.

Thanks.  Zac.

I'm wanting to add the extra cage is well for my HTPC / Server in a Define XL R2 case, but have some concerns about heat management.  Did you guys run into any issues or implement any solutions?

Puget systems also offers the Define XL R2 Lower HDD Cage

http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/item.php?cat=All+Categories&id=9942&com=d41d8cd9&que=%22fractal%20design%22

This one has 4 bays, instead of the 3-bay R4 lower cage that Fractal recommends in their FAQ.  This 4-bay cage must be the one the OP went with.

All Fractal Design cages I have and have seen are 4-bay.

Heat management is definitely an issue in the summer. My HDDs were around 15 Centigrade above ambient when running with all the fans running at full speed, 35-45 degrees. The cages pack the HDDs very tightly, so that's no surprise.

I'll try to improve ventilation during next upgrade, and I'm also seriously considering building a DIY fan controller with multiple heat sensors and automatic parametric fan speed control, since no one seems to offer that in a ready-made package.

• 3 years later...