64 Bit unRAID running natively on Arch Linux with full hypervisor support

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will now be two interfaces to add users.

Will there be issues with the passwords?

I remember there being issues years back between systems the old crypt style password and the md5 style password.

Then we have uid/gid issues.

I actually wish unRAID handled uid/gid/groups better.  In any case, have user accounts/passwords been changed and tested.  I know there are bigger fish to fry, however this could be a point of contention.  I'm not sure if anyone has thought of it yet.

Great questions.

The way Tom uses Samba (it writes the unRAID stuff to it's own .conf file), adding shares on the host is easy and permanent.

CentOS has a default nobody and root user. In all my testing and adding / deleting users in all kinds of ways (Linux, Webmin, unRAID, etc.)... This wasn't an issue.

There are some things that Tom will do for permissions on startup in the systemd files for services / folders but we as normal users will not have to mess with those.

Do I get the GUI / desktop of CentOS using telnet or SSH  connecting my server;) or is it only the command prompt ?

Worst case scenario:

"unRAID Nerds Edition" installs with only a command prompt.

Solution

yum groupinstall “KDE desktop"

Part of me would prefer to see "unRAID NE" install with only the command line. 

If installing a desktop is so easy, then something in the webgui could be added (a checkbox) that reads "expose desktop environment" or the like.  clicking the box does exactly the command you listed above.

If installing a desktop is so easy, then something in the webgui could be added (a checkbox) that reads "expose desktop environment" or the like.  clicking the box does exactly the command you listed above.

Assuming Tom is going to host this, if I was him... I wouldn't include a Desktop. The ISO size is going to BIG if that is the case.

There will now be two interfaces to add users.

Will there be issues with the passwords?

I remember there being issues years back between systems the old crypt style password and the md5 style password.

Then we have uid/gid issues.

I actually wish unRAID handled uid/gid/groups better.  In any case, have user accounts/passwords been changed and tested.  I know there are bigger fish to fry, however this could be a point of contention.  I'm not sure if anyone has thought of it yet.

Great questions.

The way Tom uses Samba (it writes the unRAID stuff to it's own .conf file), adding shares on the host is easy and permanent.

CentOS has a default nobody and root user. In all my testing and adding / deleting users in all kinds of ways (Linux, Webmin, unRAID, etc.)... This wasn't an issue.

There are some things that Tom will do for permissions on startup in the systemd files for services / folders but we as normal users will not have to mess with those.

Here's a point to consider.

I remember having issues with UID/GID's under 1000 with emhttp.

I.E. They were ignored or not addressed. Probably by design. This is good, but bad.

bad because emhttp keeps it's own copy of passwd/group/shadow on /boot/config.

So before anything happens these two files the system /etc files and /boot/config files need to be in sync.

if someone adds a user in emhttp there could be issues.

Going into the POWER USER Zone...

You can also set up additional shares to various folders, drives, etc. on your Host Server. You aren't stuck with only what unRAID shares. If you have a SSD drive on your Host outside of unRAID with a folder called Stuff. You would share Stuff on the Host (not in unRAID because unRAID can't see it) and you could copy things there if you so desired.

Why not? You can share the pendrive, why not the host drive, or especifically a part of it? Maybe create a partition that will act as cache for unRAID. This way, if I have a RAID1 of the host hard drive, cache will also be protected, does it make sense?

Why not? You can share the pendrive, why not the host drive, or especifically a part of it. Maybe create a partition that will act as cache for unRAID. This way, if I have a RAID1 of the host hard drive, cache will also be protected, does it make sense?

You can get as "freaky"as you want with your set up. Run LVMs / Mirror Drives or Partitions or Both / iSCSI / AoE / VirtFS / NFS / Samba / etc.

Found this info to Remotely managing KVM

http://thepoch.com/tumblr/so-you-want-a-centos-6-kvm-host-server.html

Maybe you already do this way ?

That is one way of doing it.

That is a guide for setting it on a headless server using SSH with X11 Forwarding.

You would need to install xming and Virt-Manager would show up on your Window PC.

dheg also put together an awesome guide on how to install Archipel: a webGUI to manage your virtualization engine

who would be ultimately responsible for the maintaining the distro, Tom or is it a community effort?  I ask because we've all seen how easy it can be for people / maintainers / helpers past and present to take offence and bugger off with the arse.

The way I see it at the moment is that it would only take a few very intelligent individuals to get disheartened, the strop, annoyed, etc, etc, with the way things are going and leave and we could be in allot of trouble with no support, thus leaving people up shit creek with out a paddle.

My preference would be for Tom to keep control of the solid production release.  Then have a "way out front" effort lead by the brightest and the best that keeps pushing the envelope.  These best and brightest need to have the freedom to innovate without limitation.

Assuming Tom is going to host this, if I was him... I wouldn't include a Desktop. The ISO size is going to BIG if that is the case.

Agree. Besides some people might not want a desktop or prefer gnome. That's the beauty of this you get the advantages of a well supported distro and you can make it as heavy or light as you want beyond what would be provide in the base iso.

Playing devils advocate I have a question though, who would be ultimately responsible for the maintaining the distro, Tom or is it a community effort?

From what little I heard and rumors... I believe this is going to be a Limetech product which they create / own.

Haven't heard anything official from Tom but it sounds like he is going to leverage some talent to assist him in this endeavor. That is not to say that Tom doesn't posses the skills, knowledge, experience to do it... I think it's more of a time / bandwidth deal.

What guarantees do we have this isn't going to happen as I'm sure like me allot of the people here value there data as much as I do?

I don't see Tom releasing a Limetech product that he doesn't believe in / support / maintain.

Not read to the end yet, but 100% this ^^^^ .

EDIT: now read to the end and still applies. but nerd 'gasm? errr, what?

...looks like someone got carried away ... a bit ...I take it this is due to XS coming real close and everyone wants a present  ::)

Also it has been real quite around this forum lately...only until we started debating around this and finally TOM joining in.

Wait, this It is even more exiting than XS  8)

OK, ironic...thanks for dropping in...any.....uhmmm...real news?

...looks like someone got carried away ... a bit ...I take it this is due to XS coming real close and everyone wants a present  ::)

Also it has been real quite around this forum lately...only until we started debating around this and finally TOM joining in.

Wait, this It is even more exiting than XS  8)

OK, ironic...thanks for dropping in...any.....uhmmm...real news?

nothing new to report today. i'm in talks with Tom, that's about it for now.

... You could mirror or have single or dual parity if you want.

... Why do you need a cache drive? Your VMs will download your TV Shows, Movies, etc. and copy them over to unRAID for you.

So, I could put my cache drive into active storage capacity with no performance hit, and could easily? convert a disk to serve as a 2nd parity?

I'm really enjoying this thread!  Thanks to all who are contributing their time and knowledge with the rest of us!

Thinking of this a bit more I probably don't need virtualisation if the base allows packages to be installed outside of unRAID's plugin system.

I run a cache drive (256Gb SSD) purely for plugins and not cache.  Am I right in thinking I could convert this to my system/OS disk, run all the packages I want (SAB, CP, SB, Transmisson, Flexget, APC, MySQL) on this disk and basically keep the rest of my unRAID install as it is ?  So I wouldn't need any hardware upgrading....

So, I could put my cache drive into active storage capacity with no performance hit, and could easily? convert a disk to serve as a 2nd parity?

Unraid doesn't support a second parity drive. It's been in the roadmap forever though. I believe it was called p+q.

What you could do (I think) is to raid1 your cache drive, easier said than done though.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

You are now able to do everything that has been discussed in this thread if you have Hardware that supports PCI Passthrough... WITH unRAID AS A VM using the following guide:

Virtualizing unRAID in KVM on openSUSE 13.1 (64Bit)

[glow=red,2,300]BEFORE YOU BEGIN, UNPLUG THE POWER TO ALL OF YOUR OF DRIVES AND REMOVE YOUR unRAID USB FLASH DRIVE! IF YOU FOLLOW MY GUIDE AND ONLY PLUG IN YOUR DRIVES AND UnRAID USB FLASH DRIVE WHEN I TELL YOU IT'S SAFE TOO...[/glow]

You can install openSUSE to a USB Flash Drive and use it on your CURRENT unRAID system and even switch back and forth between unRAID running in a VM and running unRAID "bare metal".

NOTE: If you want to go back and your unRAID "bare metal", simply boot into your unRAID USB Flash Drive like you always have.

[glow=red,2,300]BEFORE YOU BEGIN TAKE A SCREENSHOT OF YOUR unRAID SO YOU KNOW WHERE EACH DRIVE IS ASSIGNED JUST IN CASE[/glow]

TqPMmKh.png