How to setup link aggregation?

On my switch I have setup a Dynamic LAG group yet once I enabled bonding on my UnRAID server it seems only one of the NICs is active.  I'm getting 50% packet loss when I ping the server and it's very slow.  Is there any specific way my LAG group needs to be configured on my switch (HP Procurve v1910-24G)?

EDIT: And now I can't even get into the webgui to disable bonding...grrrrrr.

EDIT #2:  So I had to unplug one of the cat6 cables before I could get back into the server to disable bonding.

EDIT #3: Ok so since I disabled bonding I now can't ping or access my server at all.  It doesn't even show up with a network scan utility.  HUH???

EDIT #4: Ok after I figured out the command lines commands to stop the array and reboot I was able to reboot and now I can get  back into my server.  However I'm still at the original stage of trying to configure LAG.

Not sure I'll be able to help but I'll try. There are only a few here that do link aggregation so hopefully they will see this thread and chime in.

What bonding mode were you using?

I only tried balance-rr (0) because I read that was the one mode that you could potentially see a speed increase on.

• 5 months later...

Right, and there are no Windows NIC drivers (at least that I'm aware of) that do balance-rr. 802.3ad mode should work though. Of course, each workstation will still cap out at 1Gb, but multiple workstations accessing unRaid simultaneously should be able to get higher than 1Gb.

I realized this is an old thread but in response to the last statement:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-009747.htm

The Windows driver I'm using has an option for static aggregation and another for dynamic link aggregation.

I'm having the same problems with Dynamix also.  Spotty connections, I can ping it but the web interface won't load. (thank God I got a Supermicro board with OOB-IPMI)  Did anyone ever come up with a solution to the unraid side of RR?

static.png.69a6a38de95c5af83f4686c1a3c696ea.png