[POLL] Would you like to have the OPTION of running XBMC on unRAID?

XBMC WOULD NOT BE INSTALLED BY DEFAULT!

For those of you who do not want to use XBMC, it would be OPTIONAL! That means ZERO effect on the stability of your system, your free memory, etc. As far as you are concerned, you wouldn't notice a single change to your system.

Per a discussion with Tom, these were my suggestions about the giving unRAID users the OPTION of running XBMC on unRAID...

Enable the following in the unRAID Linux Kernel

1. Nouveau Video Drivers (nVidia open source drivers)

2. Intel Video Drivers

3. Radeon Video Drivers (AMD open source drivers)

Within the bzroot have the packages in a folder somewhere (like he does for for mysql) which could be installed if you want to use XBMC

1. XBMC Frodo (12.2) with VDPAU, VAAPI and XVBA support.

NOTE: This allows nVidia, Intel and AMD Video Cards to use Video Hardware Acceleration. What that means is your unRAID even when doing a parity check and watching a 1080p Movie will still use less than 10% (probably less) of your CPU.

2. XBMC Dependencies (libnfs, libbluray, libvdpau, libva, libxvba, etc.)

3. Xorg (which most users are running Xorg-Server 1.13 anyway which is a few versions back)

This take up MBs of space and if the user wanted to run it at start up, they do it with the go file or a simple plugin that would need to be written.

The plugin would handle where xorg.conf (you will want to ability to "tweak" it) and XBMC is installed. The plugin would handle it like many of us have seen with them. Point it to a folder on the cache drive. This is where the XBMC folders, keymaps for remotes, artwork, databases (if you do not want to centralize it in mysql), etc. would reside.

I told Tom the following, is there any truth to this?

I will bet you A LOT of money that doing the above alone will have many unRAID customers praising your name, singing songs about you and some will even name their son or daughter Tom in honor of you.

So far, Tom's thoughts about it:

Sure all those things can be added easily.  It's not the flash size I'm worried about, it's the size of 'bzroot' I try to keep down.

This would expand the bzroot in size. It's roughly 33MB now. Is the bzroot growing by 12 - 15 MBs a deal breaker for you?

We could have the plugin go and download all the files for XBMC and Xorg each time you reboot. That would give users the ability to run "pre-releases" of XBMC and Xorg. I don't see why you would do that but maybe some people will comment on why it's important.

You are talking about a lot of files and a complex script would be required which would take some time to write. If we leave those files in the bzroot and update when new versions of XBMC are released (which isn't often) this could be rolled out a lot sooner.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would this allow for Plex home theater player to be installed too ?

it would save me a computer :{

as one of my unraid's sits under the tv anyway ... he has a onboard intel HDMI connection

Shush! Let's not scare off Tom. We haven't got a yes and here you go. LOL!

Assuming Tom says Yes. If XBMC works, I'm sure someone would write a plugin for Plex too.

I voted I don't care, because I purposely run my server headless and store it away in a corner of the house.  I use thin clients to access my media, with PMS transcoding as necessary.  I really wouldn't want my server in the living room.  However, I know there are plenty of other use cases, so go for it!

Maybe this is spoiling the fun, but after some long thoughts, I finally voted "no".

What I want is the ability to add unRAID to any linux based HTPC or media server in my home.

This means ability to add it to my box running XBMC, one for my OpenELEC, one for my DVR(s), one for my Desktop even....you get the picture.

The reasons are to be found in the other thread, where discussion is ongoing how unRAID gets re-born.

I don't care because my unRAID server runs in a closet in the basement.  I have a HTPC in the Living room, 2 x PIVOS XIOS devices in other rooms, all synced with MySQL on the unRAID server.  I run the XBMCSalud plugin so that I have a headless XBMC that manages the library updates.

Works fine.

I doubt I would ever run my unRAID server near a TV

Now if your idea had the option to run headless, then I'd be more interested.  But XBMCSalaud does the basics quite well.

If I remember correctly, it was ironicbadger who streamed video over IP.

He also streams the video and USB of his Windows client (that is running in a VM) on the

unRAID server hardware to his TV in the lounge.

Search for him and follow his signature to his blog to see a video.

So, there is no need to have the server beneath your TV.

Actually, this is a very interesting possibility to use the GPU of the unRAID server that is

doing nothing most of the time.

Get some adapters to put the video on the ethernet an back on your TV.

Control the XBMC via smartphone app.

Save a media player hardware box.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Edit:

Here's the mentioned blog.

What about remote controls ? Hopefully things have moved on from the last time i tried xbmc on linux and everything was lirc based.

...for remote control with XBMC I use my original TV remote  ;D ...with this: http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx

It adds the real WAF to XBMC / OpenELEC....believe me, I know all about it  ::)

I use a harmony one at the moment with XBMC running on a boot camped mac mini running windows 7 due to apple's refusal to let loose their hold on the HD audio capability. I remember when I first started getting into linux based XBMC what a minefield remotes were.

my server is a LONG way away from my lounge (too noisy and ugly large box) not to mention my server has no pci-e slots free and is running an vga mobo graphics chipset so in a word, no im not interested in this, i would prefer to have a sleek case with fanless cpu/psu in my lounge thanks  ;D

So, there is no need to have the server beneath your TV

Actually, this is a very interesting possibility to use the GPU of the unRAID server that is

doing nothing most of the time.

Get some adapters to put the video on the ethernet an back on your TV.

Control the XBMC via smartphone app.

Save a media player hardware box.

I have a Xios. slightly larger than a cigarette box and out of view from everything.

Where I have the HTPC it because I want web browsing, Skype and other stuff that a PC gives you in the main living room

Having to use a smartphone to control the remote XBMC would mean I now need 2 remotes to operate all my stuff instead of one.  Thats going backwards.  Also, touch screen remotes in the dark are crap.  Prefer raised buttons where I can control what I want with one hand without looking at the screen first.

While some people may like the idea from a technical point of view, for me it's a step backwards in terms of useability and WAF.  Without WAF, there are no more funds for more toys to play with.

I'm not sure why everyone is losing their mind over the remote.

If you want to use a IR remote, use it. It works and works well. You can customize it if you so desire.

Make the red button on your remote minimize XBMC, open up Windows Explorer to this thread where you can thank me (or punch me).

If you do not want a remote... do not go buy one, do not hook it up, do not install the remote package, etc.

BTW - If you want to run a HDMI cable from you server to your TV... You can go 150 Feet or so. If you want a remote, run a CAT-6 cable and put a CAT-6 to usb hub convertor on it. You can hook up a remote, keyboard, mouse, etc. to it.

This of course is all OPTIONAL and not installed by default!

I'm not sure why everyone is losing their mind over the remote.

If you want to use a IR remote, use it. It works and works well. You can customize it if you so desire.

Make the red button on your remote minimize XBMC, open up Windows Explorer to this thread where you can thank me (or punch me).

If you do not want a remote... do not go buy one, do not hook it up, do not install the remote package, etc.

BTW - If you want to run a HDMI cable from you server to your TV... You can go 150 Feet or so. If you want a remote, run a CAT-6 cable and put a CAT-6 to usb hub convertor on it. You can hook up a remote, keyboard, mouse, etc. to it.

This of course is all OPTIONAL and not installed by default!

Who is losing their mind ?

I was being humorous but post 2, 5, 6, 8, 12, 13, 18 were in reference to remotes.

Considering there are only 20 responses, remotes are hot item.

You even go into detail how you prefer raise buttons, how you like to control it with one hand without having to look down at it.

After a comment like that, the joke(s) we could say pretty much write themselves... wouldn't you say?

I was being humorous but post 2, 5, 6, 8, 12, 13, 18 were in reference to remotes.

Considering there are only 20 responses, remotes are hot item.

You even go into detail how you prefer raise buttons, how you like to control it with one hand without having to look down at it.

After a comment like that, the joke(s) we could say pretty much write themselves... wouldn't you say?

No I wouldn't, which is why I asked.  I just saw discussion about why some wouldn't use XBMC native on a unRAID box.  Hardly losing their heads nor poo pooing the idea of XBMC native on unRAID.

My response was to try and explain to Fireball3 that while there is a technical solution, I would see it as a step back in terms of usability.

oh, and thanks for the tips on customising remotes.  I now see what I've been doing wrong with the multitude of harmony remotes I own.