[POLL] Would you like to have the OPTION of running XBMC on unRAID?

Given that XMBC is moving away from MySQL and looking at a UPnP style replacement, would XBMC on unRAID make more sense so that it's the "master" copy updating the library and all your tv-based clients could get the update from this version?

I don't follow XBMC devlopment that closely these days, but this could be a good argument in favour of the combined unRAID + XBMC approach.  (I am thinking about increasing the number of XBMC machines at home.)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grumpybutfun.... you are the best.... I loved reading your posts and I can distill it all to a basic statement....

Us unRAID users are real noobs when it comes to Linux, raids, etc. We value our data and think its the most precious thing in the world. It took us ages to collect. What unRAID does is black magic, we are not sure how it does it, but because of our cluelesness, we guard and try to protected our data much as possible. I could even worry that if a mosquito bites an elephant in a zoo in Tokyo, that elephant may stomp its foot, and causes a micro-earthquake that vibrates a cable somewhere, that might corrupt some data packet that breaks my unRAID in New York. A convoluted (but hopefully entertaining) way to say we are unsure what makes it tick. Sad but true. Most came into Linux because we wanted to watch Movies on our TVs that we store ourselves... and while we can use a command line to type something someone told us to type, we are NOT REAL unix people. Heck, I still have to Google how to use "screen" once every 18 months when I pre-clear a new drive.

I love the fact that uber-experts like Grumpybutfun are playing in the same sand-lot I am playing in. Grumpy, please keep demystifying things for us! Guide us through our daily fears and trespasses while pr... ahemm.  And, if allowable, please do add XBMC, 64-bit and other options... I for one would be very grateful.

I did vote a big "Yes"... I live in NYC, I don't have the luxury of a basement, or many other separate rooms.... My unRAID is in a cabinet that I had custom built for it and my everyday PC.... in my bedroom... it is loud...but so are the fire-truck sirens that are part of everyday life here. So in our bedroom I have unRAID box, my desktop PC, and old desktop running Ubuntu server with Newznab, a Zotac htpc running Openelec, an Xbox, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Reading this thread has also made me curious about the virtualization some of you use... what does this mean??? I get remote booting my htpc's remotely w/ PXE. I do not have a lot of experience w/ virtualization other than testing Ubuntu in Win using Virtualbox. Can someone please explain this to us elephant-mosquito fearers.

I get everyone has different opinion and needs, but adding options and expandability? That is cool... that is what has made XBMC so popular. If that effort hadn't grown, expanded, evolved, it would still be running on the original Xbox and only 6 people would know about it.

My 2 cents for what they are worth.

;)

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this? Would / could this be part of unRaid 6.0?

For me this would blow me away. I am already following the virtualization guides here, and am planning on installing XBMC as bare metal, with several VMs to run XMBC/unRaid/couchpotato etc etc.

But if this was part of unRaid 6.0, and not as a VM, it would be the dogs b*ll*cks, and enable me to do everything I wanted in one box.

Any update on this? Would / could this be part of unRaid 6.0?

For me this would blow me away. I am already following the virtualization guides here, and am planning on installing XBMC as bare metal, with several VMs to run XMBC/unRaid/couchpotato etc etc.

But if this was part of unRaid 6.0, and not as a VM, it would be the dogs b*ll*cks, and enable me to do everything I wanted in one box.

It's an option right now, if you install unRAID into full slack.  8)

Yeah, I would imagine it will be one of the most hotly anticipated 'plugins' onto the new release. But we will likely dozens of packages to make it work, and will likely take quite a bit of work. But to answer your question, yes, it is possible.

Ironic . That's great to know.  Would love that in the future

Mine too, my server is hidden away and my house is all networked, so I plan to run hdmi via the ethenet ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Once the early betas are out the way I will be doing this. So, feel free to keep in touch.

HP microserver is an example that can be totally quite... And would be a nice addition...

Give xbmc, unraid to the people :-D

Sent from my Nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I still don't get it. A RPi would be as capable and better supported than that setup.

I am sure some people could use this but i seriously question in the grand scale of things is it worth the effort versus the real world demand.

Feel free to have at it but I predict a huge bunch of horrible hard to debug support requests.

Doesn't the unraid 6 vm model make this entire thread obsolete? Wouldn't you just run XBMC or anything else in a Linux VM with the packages you are requesting? Why pollute unraid for a minority of users?

I think so.

This thread has degenerated and I had to spend time deleting pissing contests, time better served working on the code.  Every time I get a complaint via email it causes me to drop what I'm doing and go babysit.  Anyone who develops s/w knows what a p.i.t.a. this is.  Come on people.