Dynamix - Web GUI

Great work! Thank you!

Would it also be possible to adopt unmenu's way of hdd temp checking so that temps (WD drives) will be displayed even when the disks are spun down?

There is a danger that disks spin up when being queried for a temperature read, this also affects the 'load' speed of the GUI, i.e it becomes sluggish. Two reasons why is it not implemented.

Unmenu had never ever spin up my disks and I haven't read any such issue reported during the years unmenu has this feature, but fair enough... Point taken...

I appreciate it could slow down the speed the page is displayed at, but could we not have an option to enable this if desired? As personally I would sacrifice some page load speed in order to gain disk temperatures when spun down (my drives are all bar 1, WD).

A note regarding page load speed could always be put next to the feature. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ambient temperature can increase in a room, in turn increasing the temperature of any disks, spun down or otherwise. :)

Lol, ambient temperature will never get high enough to damage a hard drive, unless your house is on fire.

Sent from my A510 using Tapatalk

The ambient temperature can increase in a room, in turn increasing the temperature of any disks, spun down or otherwise. :)

Lol, ambient temperature will never get high enough to damage a hard drive, unless your house is on fire.

Depends what you class as high - my flat gets pretty hot in the summer! :)

Gave Dynamix a spin, 2.1.0. Looks good overall.  If accepting feature requests, couple suggestions would be to support more than eth0 on the System Stats tab.  eth0 is there, but no option for adding eth1 if it exists.  I also get no reports of active streams (utils/System Information/Active Streams) yet I have two WDTV SMP boxes actively playing movies over NFS at the moment.  Another feature request would be the option to reorganize the tab system or disable it.  From what I've read on the past posts it is your style and I can respect that, but if you are accepting feature requests doing something to reduce the number of tabs would get my vote.  Overall, nice work.

Why does it matter what the temp is when they are spun down? They wont be generating any heat so there is no point.

It provides a good overview on the overal health of your system while in idle.

...and see no point in your objection either.

Anyway, it's up to bonienl to decide and whether if the reasoning behind is valid or not, I am thankful him to his work.

I had something occur that I feel is a problem.  I have a system running unRAID Ver5.0.4 and Dynamix 2.1.0.  When I stop the array, the syslog starts to fill up with repeated sequences of entries.  Restarting the array and the activity stops.  I have attached a zipped syslog of what is happening.  ( I zipped the syslog because it was 228K in length.)

Any idea what the problem is?  Is it an issue caused by Dynamix or is it an undetected bug in unRAID?

By the way, the same behavior occurs in version 6.0b1 and Dynamix 2.1.0. 

syslog-2014-01-28.zip

New version 2.1.1 is out ...

The addition in this version is a new setting, which can be found under 'Display settings" and allows the Settings page in a tabbed (Dynamix) or non-tabbed (stock) view... Yeah, I did listen :D

You can use plugin control to update the GUI - no reboot required.

Note: when upgrading to version 2.1.1, all GUI settings will be reset to default (this is done only once).

Gave Dynamix a spin, 2.1.0. Looks good overall.  If accepting feature requests, couple suggestions would be to support more than eth0 on the System Stats tab.  eth0 is there, but no option for adding eth1 if it exists.  I also get no reports of active streams (utils/System Information/Active Streams) yet I have two WDTV SMP boxes actively playing movies over NFS at the moment.  Another feature request would be the option to reorganize the tab system or disable it.  From what I've read on the past posts it is your style and I can respect that, but if you are accepting feature requests doing something to reduce the number of tabs would get my vote.  Overall, nice work.

There is the possibility to select a particular interface when more than one is available, see Stats settings. It can't show multiple interfaces though.

Active streams can't see NFS activity. It is limited to SMB and AFP.

With version 2.1.1 (just introduced) it is possible to change the view of the settings page.

I had something occur that I feel is a problem.  I have a system running unRAID Ver5.0.4 and Dynamix 2.1.0.  When I stop the array, the syslog starts to fill up with repeated sequences of entries.  Restarting the array and the activity stops.  I have attached a zipped syslog of what is happening.  ( I zipped the syslog because it was 228K in length.)

Any idea what the problem is?  Is it an issue caused by Dynamix or is it an undetected bug in unRAID?

The same behavior occurs in most of the v5 releases also.  I see nothing unusual in your syslog.  Somewhere early in the v5 beta cycle, Tom made a change (probably to better support hotplugging?) that causes any refresh of the Web Management page, while the array is stopped(!), to force an unload of the UnRAID modules, check the drive inventory for changes, and reload the UnRAID modules, causing all of the log messages you see.  The web page refreshes are either caused manually by you, or by the particular WebGUI you are running.  There was a version of SimpleFeatures that caused numerous refreshes, greatly expanding the syslog, and slowing down UnRAID operation.

The same behavior occurs in most of the v5 releases also.  I see nothing unusual in your syslog.  Somewhere early in the v5 beta cycle, Tom made a change (probably to better support hotplugging?) that causes any refresh of the Web Management page, while the array is stopped(!), to force an unload of the UnRAID modules, check the drive inventory for changes, and reload the UnRAID modules, causing all of the log messages you see.  The web page refreshes are either caused manually by you, or by the particular WebGUI you are running.  There was a version of SimpleFeatures that caused numerous refreshes, greatly expanding the syslog, and slowing down UnRAID operation.

Thank you for your explanation.  It does make sense.  (Even though --- I am old-school---, that I would never insert a drive into a powered-on system!)  The reason that it concerned me was that it has the potential to clutter-up the syslog real quick with a lot of lines of repeated commands being executed.  Most of the time, I only stop the array when I want to either stop or reboot the server so I never noticed them before. 

FYI: I was referring to the non-dynamix cache_dirs (which really does have the form disabled, lol) -- didn't realize there was one built in (via download)!!

Sorry, new to Dynamix!

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but when I access the Cache Dirs settings page, the form is not editable until I click on 'Log', close it, then I am able to edit the form.

unRAID 5.0.5, Google Chrome v.32

When you "enable" the service (first field at the top) then all other fields become editable.

Does the Email Notify plugin, or any of its dependencies, scrub the email addresses? I wanted to use Gmail's nifty '+' character appended to my username, so that I could create filters more generally.

Example: any email coming in with '<username>[email protected]', would be automatically labeled/archived/whatever.

But it doesn't appear to be working. My config file shows them as having the '+' character, but they're not coming into Gmail as such.

Been browsing through the source, but nothing has stuck out. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks!

bonienl

what causes my parity check speed to half when i open the dynamix webpage ?

this is from unmenu without dynamix page open

STARTED; 17 disks in array.

Parity Check in progress

Total Size 1,953,514,552 KB

Current 368,545,216 (18.9%)

Speed 70,963 KB/sec

Finish 371 minutes

Sync Errors 0 (corrected)

this is same server a few minutes later

from dynamix page

Total size: 2 TB

Elapsed time: 2 hours, 38 minutes

Current position: 387 GB (19,4 %)

Estimated speed: 35,2 MB/sec

Estimated finish: 12 hours, 45 minutes

Sync errors corrected: 0

From unmenu with dynamix page open

Parity Check in progress

Current 379,159,380 (19.4%)

Speed 36,234 KB/sec

Finish 721 minutes

once i close the dynamix page again he goes back to round 70 mb

Parity Check in progress

Current 403,502,996 (20.7%)

Speed 68,677 KB/sec

Finish 374 minutes

weird things in top is also

with dynamix open

top - 11:42:22 up  3:09,  1 user,  load average: 8.28, 8.85, 7.66

Tasks: 141 total,  22 running, 119 sleeping,  0 stopped,  0 zombie

Cpu(s): 23.4%us, 14.7%sy,  0.0%ni, 12.4%id, 45.4%wa,  0.0%hi,  4.1%si,  0.0%st

Mem:  4056048k total,  3935996k used,  120052k free,    39856k buffers

Swap:  6291452k total,        0k used,  6291452k free,  3469208k cached

without dynamix open

top - 11:44:22 up  3:11,  1 user,  load average: 2.92, 6.65, 7.00

Tasks: 121 total,  1 running, 120 sleeping,  0 stopped,  0 zombie

Cpu(s):  0.0%us, 29.6%sy,  0.0%ni, 67.4%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  3.0%si,  0.0%st

Mem:  4056048k total,  3931548k used,  124500k free,    39856k buffers

Swap:  6291452k total,        0k used,  6291452k free,  3469216k cached

For the fun of it i opened dynamix with refresh disabled

and higher speeds again

Total size: 2 TB

Elapsed time: 3 hours, 9 minutes

Current position: 474 GB (23,7 %)

Estimated speed: 59,9 MB/sec

Estimated finish: 7 hours, 4 minutes

Sync errors corrected: 0

but not as high as without the page open

then tried with passive refresh

which was more or less same as disabled

So something in your refresh algorithm is killing our speed

any clue what it can be?

can you solve it ?

I don't remember SF having the issue ...

Oh Yeah this is with all plugins (plex / crashplan/ mysql/ couch/headphones/...) disabled except from the dynamix streams/ health /system info, system stats and plugin control which are installed, as i inittially suspected a plugin to cause the high top values so i started with disabling these .... 

This parity check slow-down was a problem with simplefeatures as well. Can you please fix this bug? The parity slow-down is the most annoying thing about these custom web guis.

I use a Google extension that shuts down any tab that doesn't have focus.  This has saved me heaps of time when running a parity.  It's now habit to flick to another tab when leaving the PC.

I recommend it if you have Google Chrome (works well with other dynamic webpages that can snaffle memory, like Facebook)

This parity check slow-down was a problem with simplefeatures as well. Can you please fix this bug? The parity slow-down is the most annoying thing about these custom web guis.

First, I don't see this as a bug in the webGui (both SF and Dynamix). It is a design decision (flaw?) in emhttp to start background disk activity upon each HTTP request made to it. That means that any button click you do in the GUI causes HDD activity. In the stock webGui this is circumvented by making it completely passive, meaning only when the user clicks on something there is interaction with emhttp. That's why people should not do  a frequent page fresh as it interferes with a parity check.

Second, Dynamix can be set to "passive" or "disabled" which stops all background HTTP requests and basically turns into the same manual behavior as the stock webGui. This explains why people see a difference in parity check speed when choosing a different page refresh mode in Dynamix.

Why the parity speed is different with Dynamix opened in passive or disabled mode, I can't explain. Was this tested with the stock webGui as well, I expect exactly the same results...

Just curious what are you guys using that you see a huge speed impact other than a parity check? I read the post about the speed issues using  dynamic but I tested and stream a full 1080p movie and check the webgui and the movie never stutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Squid locked this topic