Docker

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started learning about docker when it got added to beta6, and so far, it's great.  I've successfully installed SABnzbd and SickBeard, but cannot find any container for SickRage, so I want to try to build my own container.  I sort of understand how to to it, I think, but I'm not sure enough to really get started.

Do I need to pull ubuntu into my container to get started, but since the other containers are based on ubuntu, mine won't really need to get added, and docker will automatically just use the version already pulled?

Then, assuming I get the OS part figured out, do I basically just follow the steps to download and configure the app with the docker commands, basically the same way it would get done with a plugin, but since it's done with docker, I just save the container, and then I could share it?

I hope that makes sense, I feel like my knowledge level is still rather 'childish' at this point  :D

docker is WAY better than the plugins.  I 'installed' the example container for SABnzbd, and once finished, it just worked.  I can access if from the webGUI, just like with a plugin, but it will never get 'broken' by any other plugin, program, or anything else on my system.  it's sandboxed from all other processes.  It has direct access to the array drives, so it's super fast, and it takes almost no space on my array.

I suspect that once LimeTech has some more time and experience with docker, they will be able to further automate the process and make it (almost?) as easy as picking a program, telling it what port you want to see it on, and hitting Install.

I haven't had a change to mess with the latest beta so forgive me but how do you access it with the webui? Is that part of how docker is integrated into unraid? what about things like configuring the program, starting, stopping, etc? Maybe I just need to find the time and try it out.

I may be misunderstanding your question, so I'll try to give a thorough answer, which I hope covers it :)

First, with beta 6 installed, you have to have a drive formatted as btrfs.  I re-formatted my cache drive for this requirement.

Then you install docker.  This is done from the unRAID GUI, by pressing a button.

Then you open a command window (I use putty) and enter a run command.  The one I used is

docker run -d --name="sabnzbd" -h media -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/user:/data -p 9992:8080 -p 9999:9090 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

This tells it to let me access sabnzbd on port 9992, or on port 9999 if I want to access via https.

The process of installation took about 5 minutes on my very slow connection.

Once finished, I type media:9992 into my web browser, and there's the sabnzbd GUI.

I hope that answers your question.  If not, just let me know.

It does a little. And I did read that the installation has to be done manually for the time being. I think I just need to get some hands on experience with it really. Do you need to install docker every reboot since it is still a live system? Could you install docker and then add the run command for the docker container to the go file?

I've rebooted once since I installed docker, and when I returned to the GUI, it still showed as installed, so I think installing docker is a one-time thing.  I think you do need to manually start the containers after rebooting, but I'm not positive about that.

If you are willing to test/try on your server, I suggest you convert a drive to btrfs, which is required to install docker (I wrote a post in that how-to thread on how I did this on my server), then install docker, then try installing sabnzbd.

post questions as you run into issues, but it really is pretty easy, after the first time.  I think you'll really be happy with what you see, once you have your first container running.

Simple as 'docker start sabnzbd' after reboot, takes about 20 seconds for webgui then

Can then check with 'docker inspect sabnzbd' and will give you a status report showing if its running

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk

It does a little. And I did read that the installation has to be done manually for the time being. I think I just need to get some hands on experience with it really. Do you need to install docker every reboot since it is still a live system? Could you install docker and then add the run command for the docker container to the go file?

All the docker images and containers are saved in a docker directory which is in whatever path you select from the webgui.  You can then do "docker start sabnzbd"  on reboot. You could make a plugin to start them when the array is up. The docker containers are automatically stopped with the array but not started.  They are not available from the unRAID webgui only starting and stopping docker.

• 2 weeks later...