Docker

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done some reading and completed the Docker interactive tutorial so I *think* I understand Docker......probably.....hmmmm we'll see  ;)

Just so we're clear, once Docker support is added we can run the Dockerized apps directly in unRAID? No need for a virtual host OS?

And since the kernel is the only thing (on the host system) seen by the apps, as long as unRAID stays fairly up to date with linux kernel builds we should be okay grabbing the latest and greatest from the docker hub? Does having an older kernel than the system the app was built on even matter?

I've done some reading and completed the Docker interactive tutorial so I *think* I understand Docker......probably.....hmmmm we'll see  ;)

Just so we're clear, once Docker support is added we can run the Dockerized apps directly in unRAID? No need for a virtual host OS?

And since the kernel is the only thing (on the host system) seen by the apps, as long as unRAID stays fairly up to date with linux kernel builds we should be okay grabbing the latest and greatest from the docker hub? Does having an older kernel than the system the app was built on even matter?

It depends on what the docker application uses.

ok, so i just found out about docker and my head might explode (not from confusion so much as excitement). i'm still reading up on it but i have a question. so, when looking at my xbmc plugin for unraid and trying to compile a gotham version i find i get the same problem as those compiling it with the latest ubuntu, namely a seg fault that has yet to be fix. essentially no xbmc salud gotham. in the discussion someone linked a docker container. could i compile this on a lower working version of ubuntu and put it in a docker container to use on unraid? can anyone link to a docker package for slackware?

ok, so i just found out about docker and my head might explode (not from confusion so much as excitement). i'm still reading up on it but i have a question. so, when looking at my xbmc plugin for unraid and trying to compile a gotham version i find i get the same problem as those compiling it with the latest ubuntu, namely a seg fault that has yet to be fix. essentially no xbmc salud gotham. in the discussion someone linked a docker container. could i compile this on a lower working version of ubuntu and put it in a docker container to use on unraid? can anyone link to a docker package for slackware?

At about post #581 of "xbmc minified as a server? " over at xbmc.  A 64bit docker package I couldn't find. Check out vbatts git.

At about post #581 of "xbmc minified as a server? " over at xbmc.  A 64bit docker package I couldn't find. Check out vbatts git.

actually it was post 742 when i first noticed it but yea. i'll keep my eyes out. hopefully i will have time to look at it as it may be a good solution to many of the plugin problems in unraid.

I know nothing but is this what we need to run a headless xbmc inside docker ?

https://github.com/wernerb/docker-xbmc-server

For library management something like that may be prefect. The devil is in the detail of that specific docker but this in general is the power of docker.

For playing videos you would want KVM with GPU passthough etc although a couple of fast cores plays most things these days as well.

But in general you can install dockers like this with one or 2 lines and if it doesnt work, fix or remove it with 100% confidence you havent altered your OS proper.

I have looked into this some more and it is an interesting example. Currently XBMC headless is unsupported and because of this people compilation efforts are at best hit and miss and the base OS plays a major factor in any success.

This seems to be the reason they are stuck on the now EOL Ubuntu 12:10 at least for the moment.

But that in itself shows of a few of dockers features:

the only appreciable cost of having this app pinned to 12:10 is disk space and not CPU cycles or mem etc

this very fragile install process has been done by someone that knows it and by using his docker you get his EXACT setup (caveat the way he has actually done it you might not get an exact match as he checks out xbmc from git based on the branch name and not a specific point in time)

getting it working on your system requires very little knowledge and certainly you dont need to be a hardcore linux or virtualization expert

Pretty much.

It a bit like VMs, a bit like git, a bit like portable apps.

There is a lot of guides on docker but I am yet to see a single one that can in a small amount of words describe what Docker is really all about with as easy an understanding as it is for the general public to understand a virtual machine.

It is a perfect fit for unRAID hence why I have been pushing for it for as long as i have.

Really once we have it people will start to get it.

Question about docker and resources. With VMs, you assign certain amounts of ram and cpu cycles and such to each. How does it work with docker containers? Do they all share the same resources available to unraid?

Point of clarity, you do not NEED to assign cpu.  Ignoring the possible bug we deal with here in unraid land and the need to pin a cpu to dom0, the general advice is to let Xen's scheduler deal with cpu.  I've been running my archXM now for about 20 days uptime with no cpu pinning or allocatiion, using plex (with lots of transcoding) and transmission (with lots of xfers) and so far no hard crashes like others have experienced.  That isn't to say their problems are not real, or truly fixed by pinning to dom0, but it is also not a hard rule either.

Ram ... yes that generally needs to partitioned out.

I am starting to look into docker and have a few questions?

Can a docker container (say for utorrent) access unRAID local shares to download to and the external network to download from?

How will the performance be?

yes, you should be able to write to shares,  as well as download from the external network

but im not sure about what performance you would get writing to a parity protected drive,  should be an interesting exercise :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have been waiting for Docker support for a long time. I am excited to be able to dump my Xen VM.

I got a bit fixated yesterday and learned how to make Dockfiles. I have created two that I hope others will find useful:

nzbdrone - https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/needo/nzbdrone/

plexWatch/plexWebWatch - https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/needo/plexwatch/

More on the way.

needo, do you have a slackware package for docker?

Pretty much.

There is a lot of guides on docker but I am yet to see a single one that can in a small amount of words describe what Docker is really all about with as easy an understanding as it is for the general public to understand a virtual machine.

It is a perfect fit for unRAID hence why I have been pushing for it for as long as i have.

Here's what i read and gathered from the docker getting started info:

- Unraid OS installed on PC

- Docker app installed (now included in unraid 6 beta 6)

- Run docker command for an appliance (calling a base image and an application container)

- This will download the base image (For example, a ubuntu image which all applications will share)

- If image exists, it won't re-download it (like saving to USB)

- From that image, a VM like environment is setup and segregated using a new namespace

- Docker will install the container (application) using the base image including all libraries and binaries

- Application will be able to be controlled from in the unraid commant prompt as if it was locally installed, but in fact runs completely separate from the OS (at least i think that's how this part works)

Light weight (lighter than XEN) and all containers (applications) would share the same base image (aka unraid OS image).  Does that sound about right?

Pretty much.

Here's what i read and gathered from the docker getting started info:

- Unraid OS installed on PC

- Docker app installed (now included in unraid 6 beta 6)

- Run docker command for an appliance (calling a base image and an application container)

- This will download the base image (For example, a ubuntu image which all applications will share)

- If image exists, it won't re-download it (like saving to USB)

- From that image, a VM like environment is setup and segregated using a new namespace

- Docker will install the container (application) using the base image including all libraries and binaries

- Application will be able to be controlled from in the unraid commant prompt as if it was locally installed, but in fact runs completely separate from the OS (at least i think that's how this part works)

Light weight (lighter than XEN) and all containers (applications) would share the same base image (aka unraid OS image).  Does that sound about right?

From my current understanding of Docker this seems pretty accurate. The other piece is the Docker container seems to share the same ip as the host, so you can use http://tower:8081 to hit SAB even though it's in a dockerized container.