How are you using unRAID Server?

2 unraid servers with ---- (4 -  1.5tb Wd drives)  and 4 1tb wd drives on the second server

How I use the Unraid Servers:

1. General file storage and Serving files in my Lan - Movies, Music, software

2. Web server

3. Rtorrent server

4. Sabnzbd server

5. Subsonic - music server

I love the Unraid system for its reliability and safe keeping of my data along with the ability to run the various servers. 

The only thing I can think of to add on is a Voip server such as Teamspeak and hamachi.

Joe

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- Digital Hoarding

Excellent description!  I suspect a lot of us here do that...

I'm pretty much on board with the rest of your usage, too - unRAID's replacing an aged file server at home.  I've migrated my music and video library onto it too.

As time goes on, I'll likely migrate other apps onto it - Subversion server, web/ftp, etc.

FWIW, I use a Patriot Box Office for a media player.  It's got the ugliest user interface I've ever seen (*zero* waf) but it plays ISO files, and pretty much everything else I've thrown at it.  Supports various subtitle formats, too.

It works ok for my use, but the UI is so bad I can't really recommend it.  Maybe in the future...

- Al Weiner -

• 2 weeks later...

I would use it for replacing a couple ZFS-based systems - right now I have two 16x1.5tb systems (in 2 groups of raidz2 each) that are aging a little bit. Also hate dealing with solaris. I get 16tb usable or so in each.

Getting a 15 bay unit with 3TB disks = 42tb roughly usable storage right? That would be able to handle replacing both of these monster machines, in a single 15 bay unit.

(I want to know more about this 20 bay unit mentioned earlier in the year!)

Biggest thing for me is cooling and acoustics. Nobody addresses it that well still to this day.

I use it to store my DVD archive, digital hoarding, etc.

Getting a 15 bay unit with 3TB disks = 42tb roughly usable storage right? That would be able to handle replacing both of these monster machines, in a single 15 bay unit.

(I want to know more about this 20 bay unit mentioned earlier in the year!)

unRAID currently does not support 3TB disks. The max array width is 22 (1 parity, 1 cache, 20 data drives)

20x2TB = 40TB max.

Check out the "Pimp Your Rig" thread as a start, then the Recommended Builds Wiki entry

Because of ADF? That sucks. I would only consider rebuilding all this stuff if I could get 3tb (or greater when they come out)

I am tired of having huge towers sitting around :)

Was it only a few years ago that i thought adding an additional 80 gb hard drive to my pc was wonderful, seriously considered whether i would ever be able to fill it up?

I wonder if there will ever be a limit on storage requirements / need for a tower?

Because of ADF? That sucks. I would only consider rebuilding all this stuff if I could get 3tb (or greater when they come out)

I am tired of having huge towers sitting around :)

Was it only a few years ago that i thought adding an additional 80 gb hard drive to my pc was wonderful, seriously considered whether i would ever be able to fill it up?

I wonder if there will ever be a limit on storage requirements / need for a tower?

I doubt it.  As storage capacity increases, so do the 'quality' settings of our media.  I'm sure when you were relishing your new 80 GB HDD you didn't expect that within a few years a single movie could use up 60 GB...

• 2 weeks later...

60 GBs is the upper limit of BluRay discs.  A single BluRay rip (not encode) can take up anywhere between 25 and 60 GBs, depending on the length of the movie, special features, etc.  I'm not sure I've actually ever seen a movie take up the full 60 GBs, but it is certainly possible.  I know some PS3 games do use the full capacity of the BluRay disc.

It's not 60GB. The actual maximum size of a Dual layer Blu-ray disc is 46.61GB or 50050629632 Bytes. There's a reason why it's called a "BD-50".  ;)

Most discs don't use the full capacity, but as the format matures, more producers are filling them up. The last time I checked, the average size of a Blu-ray was 35GB.

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean ... in the days of 100kB floppies, my first hard disk seemed huge .... it was 5MB!

• 2 weeks later...

It's not 60GB. The actual maximum size of a Dual layer Blu-ray disc is 46.61GB or 50050629632 Bytes. There's a reason why it's called a "BD-50".  ;)

Most discs don't use the full capacity, but as the format matures, more producers are filling them up. The last time I checked, the average size of a Blu-ray was 35GB.

Thanks for the correction.

I primarily use my unRaid server as the media server for my Mac Mini HTPC but it certainly serves a lot of other roles.  I think I'm right there with many other people who want a single home server.

With that in mind here is what it does today

Storage for mac and windows clients.

Sabnzbd

Transmission

FTP

What I would like to get working on it soon but haven't had time for yet.

Sickbeard

CouchPotato

Crashplan

Someday hopefully.

Time Machine backups

Plex or XBMC server.

At first it may sound like a lot of roles but really they are all variations on a theme

Get my files

Unpack/sort my files

Protect my files

Serve my files

I'm using unRaid for storing and serving Movies, Music, Pictures, TV shows recorded on a Windows Media Center PC, and for general file storage.  I also have an FTP server on a Windows 7 Computer storing files on unRaid.  I host some buisiness off-line storage using FTP.

UnRaid is also used to store downloaded programs, program updates, and drivers.  All the Computers (six Windows PCs) in my home backup nightly to the unRaid server.  Copies of source code of my programs are stored on unRaid.

I primarily use my unRaid server as the media server for my Mac Mini HTPC but it certainly serves a lot of other roles.  I think I'm right there with many other people who want a single home server.

With that in mind here is what it does today

Storage for mac and windows clients.

What I would like to get working on it soon but haven't had time for yet.

Sabnzbd. Hopefully this will be made into a plugin

Sickbeard Hopefully this will be made into a plugin

CouchPotato. Hopefully this will be made into a plugin

Someday hopefully.

Time Machine backups

Plex

At first it may sound like a lot of roles but really they are all variations on a theme

Get my files

Unpack/sort my files

Protect my files

Serve my files

Me to

• 3 weeks later...

It'll probably never happen but I have hopes that someday there will be a bit of consolidation going on with other flash based servers out there.  Amahi seems a natural fit, they need a good file protection scheme and I don't think Greyhole has anything on unRaid and unRaids gui has nothing on Amahi's interface.  Hey, a guy can dream.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just setup my unRAID box this weekend. I plan on using it for MKV rips of my hundreds of HD DVD titles. I already use  a 56TB WHS for my hundreds of BD titles in the ISO format. I would do the same with my HD DVD titles if the media players could play HD DVD ISOs.

• 2 weeks later...

I am running 1 Norco 4224 and 1 Norco 4220 unRaid servers with almost all files being mkv video. All video files are played via XBMC over the home network. Overall I think unRaid is hard to beat for a video server.

The first is mainly TV video files but I do have one drive that serves my private FTP with all other drives in both servers mapped to the FTP. The rest of the drives are used for TV mkv storage and some personal video like the kids sports. This case has almost all Seagate ST32000542AS 2TB drives with the rest being Samsung 2TB drives.

The second Norco is dedicated to Bluray movie rips only (all mkv).  This case has almost all WD20EARS drives with the others being Hitachi 2TB drives

My FTP drive is used to store all sorts of data, video, music, software, and private storage for anyone that has access to my FTP. I already have another Norco 4220 case and most of the drives that will serve as the second Bluray server once I have this one full which is not too far away.