How are you using unRAID Server?

I just setup my unRAID box this weekend. I plan on using it for MKV rips of my hundreds of HD DVD titles. I already use  a 56TB WHS for my hundreds of BD titles in the ISO format. I would do the same with my HD DVD titles if the media players could play HD DVD ISOs.

Do you have any pics of that 56tb server you could post in pimp my rig?

cc.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My current uses and software installed on my UNRAID:

Serve and store Movies, Music and Data storage -

Subsonic - media server

SABNZB server - for nzb downloading

Rutorrent server for downloading Torrents

Snap - auto transfer of files and backups on usb ports

ntfs-3g driver

Hamachi - vpn

Istat - view Unraid  server on iphone

Web Server -  lighttpd

UNRAIDWEB

Unmenu

APCupsd - UPS -control for Battery backup

• 1 month later...

I just setup my unRAID box this weekend. I plan on using it for MKV rips of my hundreds of HD DVD titles. I already use  a 56TB WHS for my hundreds of BD titles in the ISO format. I would do the same with my HD DVD titles if the media players could play HD DVD ISOs.

cc.

I second that!  :o :o ;D

cc.

unRAID

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2031.msg139143#msg139143

WHS

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20870157#post20870157

Like most people here I use unRaid as a file server for music, video's and a back up of my PC.  I currently have 3 2TB data drives that are filling up fast.  I use one for music and 2 for videos.  I am using JRiver Media Center on my XP PC.  I haven't hooked up my stereo or TV yet.  I am looking at several options.  An HTPC wireless or hard wired on a gigabyte router or a Boxee Box.  I haven't tacked this yet since I do not have my server operating as I hoped.  I don't want to introduce any new variables until I have this working.  I looked at a lot of other solutions and I think unRaid has the best potential.

I would like to be able to recommend this to the 10's of thousands of JRiver Media Center users but there needs to be some improvements before I am comfortable in doing so.

It would be nice if there was a single user menu with drop down menus to access different features.

- Improving the process of pre-clearing and formatting drives would be essential.  If an interactive script could be written where the user could make the appropriate options it would be extremely helpful.

- A simpler method of adding packages would be very helpful as well.

- Networking: I understand that this isn't designed to be used for the net but if a easy to install network package that works with a dynamic IP addresses and limits access to a small number of ports that require specific MAC addresses to access the server along with the above would solve the majority of the problems I see.

If you are going to garner a larger market share then you will need to help those of us who have become brain dead from windows.  I like being able to use the command line again but the learning curve is steep for those who have had no experience with anything except windows or Mac.  I have used Unix on a mainframe many years ago where I did some programing with borne shell.  That helps but someone without any Linux experience would become overwhelmed.

Tunetyme

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using UnRAID for a few months to store music, movies, photos, and backups of 2 PCs on my LAN.

My UnRAID is running in a USB virtual machine on VMWare ESXi server 4.1 on Asus P7P55D with 4Go RAM, Intel I5 and Network card Intel Pro 1000 M.

I have 2 2tb (1 data & 1 parity drive) and 1 500 Gb drive in my system.

I run another VM, VortexBox,  to streams music to my Logitec Squeezebox Duet.

On my french blog, I have published installation papers.

Thanks for all the useful informations I have found on this forum  ;)

Excuse my poor english I'm french  ;D

http://coyotte14.blogspot.com/2011/10/projet-de-nas-la-maison.html

Coyotte14

* Movies/TV going to a linux XBMC machine

* Music, mostly ALAC for iTunes

* Backups of desktop/laptop/XBMC machine

* Photos

* Store games/ROMS/ISOs, for whenever I want to install them on a local machine

Use unMenu for management, and really diggin' unloading sabnzbd/sickbeard/couchpotato to the server to leave my desktop cleaner...

• 1 month later...

30 TB unRaid working wonderfully -

Shares for Movies / TV Shows / iTunes library / eBooks / Photos /  Backup

streams to  -

• WD TV Live Streaming Media Player & big screen
  • iPad with AirVideo, ServeToMe
  • Mac with Plex

Backs up Mac x2, PC x 3

What I would value is anyone's thoughts on best way to get moviesheets showing on the WDTV Live, with minimum effort. Too many files to do manually...  Plex does not seem to work there.  :(

Mike S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My setup:

9x2TB Green, 1.5TB cache 7200 (adding 2 more 2TB soon)

AMD Athlon II X2 4450e - 3 GHz

8GB memory

Using it for:

Backups

AirVideo (movies)

Plex (movies-pics-music-tv shows)

Sabnzbd

CouchPotato

SickBeard

Transmission

links

unmenu

Next projects:

OpenVPN server (need kernel with TUN/TAP)

Surveillance/Security

• 5 weeks later...

I am using unRAID primarily for the content of my DVD collection to be streamed to my HTPC.  The database that I am using is called MyMovies which is hosted on my WHS 2011 system.  The storage on the home server was getting limited so I needed a more robust solution and unRAID fits that bill.  I am very happy. ;D ;D ;D

• 1 month later...

At the moment, I am using my unraid server for dvd and blu-ray rips, which I stream via Cat5e wired network to a Dune D1 and AIOS media player.

However, I will most likely build another unraid server for back up for my other PC's.  I am exploring to upgrade to version 5.0 to try Plex, but I am skeptical about trying out it and in the process mess up what I've got.

I am new to UnRaid, and it is difficult for me to understand how to install the add-ons.  I've tried to use unmenu for this, but I have been unsuccessful due to "corrupted" files.  So, I've stopped trying.

I am using unRaid to have a central location for all my media files pictures dvds etc shared between 3 desktops and laptops.  I would like to use unRaid for dlna streaming etc, however I am a complete newb and have attempted several times to install the ps3mediaserver and plex with no luck ending in errors in logs resulting in me just wiping my usbdrive and starting over.  I am having a hard time finding the correct install paths for the plugins like the ps3mediaserver there are several different how to install posts but dunno if its just because im using the beta 5.14 that they are just not compatible. I would ask for help on the forum but from what I have read seems like newbs just are not tolerated usually ending in people saying "Learn how to use Linux before you post! etc."  Anyhow, unRaid works great for what it does have had no issues with the main feature of unRaid wish I could take use of the hardware I have for this server.  Wish I would have did more investigating and went with a xeon processor to go with esxi so I could use unRaid for storage and ubuntu for the ease of the command like apt-get install etc.. much easier than trying to keep up with what software works with what version of unraid etc. Maybe once prices drop down on the sandy bridge xeons ill make the leap. And repurpose my i3 2120T into a desktop.

• 1 month later...

Greetings, I am using my unRAID setup to store my archive of radio recordings. I had been using a combination of Buffalo Linkstations previously which are great devices, very low power consumption but rather restrictive when it comes to hard drive upgrades. I have moved my two drive up from 500GB to 1TB and finally to 1.5GB but was unsure about the 4k alignment or whether the kernel/hardware would cope with 2TB so started looking for an alternative.

A few months ago I spotted the cashback offer within UK on the HP Microserver N40L, a £250 piece of hardware with £100 cashback. I have tried FreeNAS (massively over complicated for what I needed) Microsoft Home Server (never really trusted the OS with constant patches required) and finally stumbled upon unRAID.

Started with the free version and 3 x 3TB WD30EZRX drives and upgraded to Plus within a couple of days of getting my confidence level up with the product. I now run a cache drive but will be looking to utilise an add-in SATA controller to move the cache off the main SATA bus plus add an additional 3TB to bring me up to 9TB of protected storage.

Loving the product and this forum + the Wiki is great for support/help.

• 2 weeks later...

What drew me towards unRaid over FreeNAS, OpenIndiana, etc, was that I could expand the array, drive by drive (including replacement of individual drives), with only ever having to lose one drive for parity--this is key.  Also the low RAM requirements are a nice bonus--contrast with ZFS requirements.

I'm using it for *protected* storage of ISO backups of Apps/Games, Movies, Television Shows, Recorded TV, Music, System Backups, Books, Software Distributions,  Virtual Machine archival, and more.

All my documents, downloads, torrents also default to the NAS for storage.

I just have a 90GB solid state drive on my Mac OS X Lion.  I try to keep just the OS and applications on it and use the NAS for everything else.

However, for photoediting I edit the current projects locally on the SSD and move the projects once they are finished over to the NAS.  I can still get to them for viewing from the NAS with reasonable performance, but for editing I need the local storage.

I'm a WHS fanboy... at least I was... till I found out about unRAID.

I spent a couple of weeks browsing this forum before I took the plunge and ordered unRAID Pro. The transition from WHS to unRAID did take quite a while with preclearing, transfering of files and all that but it was worth the time. :) The unRAID is basically a fileserver holding pictures, movies (which I stream to OpenELEC box), CrashPlan backups, various other files and a personal share for each household member.

I run unRAID Pro v5.0 RC3 with SimpleFeatures, CrashPlan (backup of all computers on the LAN), APC UPS Daemon and SABnzdb. My experience with unRAID so far has been great. Don't miss WHS at all. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would have to say that "Backups" is a relatively loose term for using Robocopy to copy files from my laptop, the Wife and the kids Documents and downloads to one of my unRAID machines.

And yes, there is an Air Video plug-in. Use the search and you will find numerous posts.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I use my unraid system for a number of things:

1. Storage (files, videos, photos etc..)

2. Serve Music, Video and Photos to 2 Apple TV's  running XBMC and 3 PC's running XBMC

3. with mysql plugin I use the unraid as the main database for all my XBMC systems (same library, share thumbnails, and great for pausing in one room and going to another to finish watching)

4. RSS Downloads

5. Automatic content renaming

6. VPN Server (my own plugin, not quite ready for release)

7. Storage of Roaming profiles for my windows computers

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Regards,

Craig

• 1 month later...