First build - ESXI

Trying to decide on the components for my new VM server (esxi with unraid guest and ubuntu running Sabnzbd/SB/CP etc)

Motherboard -Supermicro - X10SAE

CPU -Intel Xeon E3 1220 v3

Raid Controller:  Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 ECC KVR13E9/8I (x2)

Case: Fractal XL R2 with the extra drive cage

Power supply: Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power (have this already from another build)

If anyone has any better suggestions on what components would better suit my needs (preferably from www.scorptec.com.au as i'll be purchasing the bulk of the goods from there)

Thanks all

I don't have anything too constructive to add, but scorptec was where I sourced my x10sl7-f from...fast delivery. Alas, not too many Aus places to source supermicro from!

My only comment is to check whether a later/more recent raid controller is available. I don't believe/know if the one you have will be a problem but if your budget can take it, look at this point in your build in more detail. I forwent the need of an initial raid controller with the x10sl7-f (instead of your m'board with the hdmi etc) but I will need one eventually for my lian-li d8000.

cheers,

gwl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have anything too constructive to add, but scorptec was where I sourced my x10sl7-f from...fast delivery. Alas, not too many Aus places to source supermicro from!

My only comment is to check whether a later/more recent raid controller is available. I don't believe/know if the one you have will be a problem but if your budget can take it, look at this point in your build in more detail. I forwent the need of an initial raid controller with the x10sl7-f (instead of your m'board with the hdmi etc) but I will need one eventually for my lian-li d8000.

cheers,

gwl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip, will definitely take a closer look at the raid card as you suggested! Nice choice on that future case, I'm still seriously considering replacing the Fractal XL with one (though the extra cost is a bit of a hit, plus I already have the extra drive cage from another fractal case that they say will fit in the XL R2)