Can I configure my UnRAID server to shutdown a Windows PC using a UPS?

On 1/29/2014 at 8:35 PM, jonathanm said:

This UPS can handle it. It's a Powerware Prestige 9 2KVA, and the output is 16 Amps. It has no problem with laser printers, etc. Yes, it will handle a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

There's a secondary reason for not using devices with motors on a UPS.

UPS have brownout protection; this brownout protection will trigger anytime the input line drops between nominal load voltage. (Usually somewhere around 105-112v, varies on component age and manufacturer's specifications) The UPS enters "Buck mode" and uses the battery charge to supplement input voltage. Normally this occurs infrequently due to outside circumstances. A motor on the other hand constantly hammers both ends of the AC line with current spikes. This will frequently force the UPS into buck mode and WILL be detrimental to the lifespan of the UPS batteries and the buck mode circuitry.

Source:
I replace around 50 UPS per year due to external interference killing them (APC, TrippLite, CyberPower) In every single case, a refrigerator, fan, heater, or vacuum is connected to the UPS day-to-day. Another 50-100 UPS have premature battery failure (less than 1yr old SLA) in the same circumstances. Nice stable loads are fine for UPS.

Also that's just me, in my area alone there are 15 other technicians who have similar numbers at our company.

Edited by Xaero
54 minutes ago, Xaero said:

The UPS enters "Buck mode" and uses the battery charge to supplement input voltage.

The UPS that I use don't ever NOT use batteries. They are not switching, they are constant output totally isolated from the mains. Instead of monitoring the line power and reacting, the input is solely used to keep the batteries charged, and the output is constantly pulling from the batteries.

They are rated for hospital equipment, which can and does include inductive loads.