Dynamix - System Temp

When you do the sensors command from a telnet session, do you see the modified names ?

Sensors output show's

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +52.0 C  (high = +82.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 1:       +60.0 C  (high = +82.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 2:       +45.0 C  (high = +82.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 3:       +62.0 C  (high = +82.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Core 0:       +63.0 C  (high = +82.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 1:       +63.0 C  (high = +82.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 2:       +63.0 C  (high = +82.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 3:       +60.0 C  (high = +82.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

w83627hf-isa-0290
in0:          +4.08 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in1:          +4.08 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
in2:          +4.08 V  (min =  +2.82 V, max =  +3.79 V)  ALARM
in3:          +3.04 V  (min =  +4.06 V, max =  +2.03 V)  ALARM
in4:          +3.14 V  (min =  +4.08 V, max =  +4.08 V)  ALARM
in5:          +3.17 V  (min =  +3.76 V, max =  +2.54 V)  ALARM
in6:          +3.20 V  (min =  +4.08 V, max =  +4.08 V)  ALARM
in7:          +3.36 V  (min =  +4.08 V, max =  +3.92 V)  ALARM
in8:          +3.18 V  (min =  +4.08 V, max =  +3.57 V)  ALARM
fan1:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 2)
fan2:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 2)
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 2)
temp1:        -48.0 C  (high = +75.0 C, hyst = +70.0 C)  sensor = thermistor
temp2:        -48.0 C  (high = +80.0 C, hyst = +75.0 C)  sensor = thermistor
temp3:        -48.0 C  (high = +80.0 C, hyst = +75.0 C)  sensor = thermistor
cpu0_vid:    +1.419 V
beep_enable: enabled

I removed the W83627 chip as the temp's shown are incorrect / not useful since they never change from -48. When I try and rename the coretemp-ISA cores it gives me an error unexpected space.

Clowrym...

I've got the same MB as you do.  I found this post...  http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Configurations/SuperMicro/X7DB8

But don't know how to translate that into what we need.  I've tried loading the sensors listed... w83627hf-isa-0290 and w83793-i2c-0-2f but they are not found.

Any ideas???

Sorry for the late reply, I just read your message!!

I haven't found a way to get this working for me, so I ended up just removing the System temp plugin on this server.

Out of curiosity, if you do modprobe w83627hf followed by sensors do you get the output? and do your temp's read properly?

I ran sensors-detect on my V6.03b and came up with a couple new items that it didn't show on v5

#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
modprobe coretemp
modprobe i5k_amb
modprobe w83627hf
modprobe w83793
/usr/bin/sensors -s
#----cut here----

If you have some drivers built into your kernel, the list above will
contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones! You really
should try these commands right now to make sure everything is
working properly. Monitoring programs won't work until the needed
modules are loaded.

Unloading i2c-dev... OK

problem is they error out when running mod probe...

root@Tower:~# modprobe i5k_amb
modprobe: FATAL: Module i5k_amb not found.
root@Tower:~# modprobe w83793
modprobe: FATAL: Module w83793 not found.
root@Tower:~# 

anyone know how to add these?

Still new at this, not sure where to begin...

Trying to build my sensors.conf file. I tried the default one outlined in the wiki with no luck (as expected). Not sure what to put in for my system.

When entering sensors I get

No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.

Anyone else get this error? Would installing the perl package help with sensors-detect call? If so what is a good place to put perl pkg (and future installs) on my flash to install it? After install will it be a part of unRAID from now on, or would I have to installpkg it every time? I ask cuz I don't want to have a bunch of stuff running on my rig that I never use.

Thanks in advance for the clarification and advice.

Still new at this, not sure where to begin...

Trying to build my sensors.conf file. I tried the default one outlined in the wiki with no luck (as expected). Not sure what to put in for my system.

When entering sensors I get

No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.

Anyone else get this error? Would installing the perl package help with sensors-detect call? If so what is a good place to put perl pkg (and future installs) on my flash to install it? After install will it be a part of unRAID from now on, or would I have to installpkg it every time? I ask cuz I don't want to have a bunch of stuff running on my rig that I never use.

Thanks in advance for the clarification and advice.

It looks like you don't have any modules/probes installed at all, which are required for your hardware.

You can run sensors-detect, but this requires installation of the perl package to make it run (see inside the PLG file).

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like you don't have any modules/probes installed at all, which are required for your hardware.

You can run sensors-detect, but this requires installation of the perl package to make it run (see inside the PLG file).

I was able to install Perl from unMenu, and ran sensors-detect, and it output:

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `it87':
  * ISA bus, address 0xe80
    Chip `ITE IT8718F Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (yes/NO): no
To load everything that is needed, add this to one of the system
initialization scripts (e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local):

#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
modprobe it87
/usr/bin/sensors -s
#----cut here----

If you have some drivers built into your kernel, the list above will
contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones! You really
should try these commands right now to make sure everything is
working properly. Monitoring programs won't work until the needed
modules are loaded.

Unloading i2c-dev... OK

It only found the one sensor, and I used the output to add this to my 'go' file:

# modprobe for each sensor
modprobe it87

cp /boot/config/plugins/dynamix/sensors.conf /etc/sensors.d

I then rebooted my server and tried running sensors with the same 'no sensors found!' error. I'm not sure how to build my sensors.conf file without being able to run 'sensors'.

What do you mean by 'It looks like you don't have any modules/probes installed at all, which are required for your hardware.'? How do I go about installing these modules/probes?

I did try adding 'chip "it8718-isa-0290"' to my sensors.conf file as I saw that on many forums that had posters with the it87 output, with no luck.

Thanks for the help!

Wiki page was:  Setting up lm_sensors to display CPU/motherboard temperatures in add-ons such as SimpleFeatures

Renamed to:    Setting up CPU and board temperature sensing

I've updated the wiki page for Dynamix, added a few Dynamix specific notes, and renamed it.  Well technically I moved it to the new name, with a redirect at the old name.  So the old name still works, but lands you on the wiki page under the new name.

If you wish, bonienl, you could edit your OP to point to the new name.  Also, it would be nice if you could check it over for accuracy.

Here's a quick and dirty setup for AMD based boards that use the k8temp driver, most of those with Athlon 64 or FX or Opteron CPU's.  It does not show the motherboard temp, only the temps for the first 2 cores, but since the temps on the Dynamix screens aren't labeled, that's OK.  It should work for most k8temp-compatible boards, but apparently some of these boards do not reliably show correct temps.  Hopefully yours will, as mine does.

* Install the Dynamix System Temp plugin, and reboot.  You should see the 2 temp icons above and to the right, but with blank temps.

* Copy the attached sensors.conf.txt file to the flash drive, to the path /boot/config/plugins/dynamix. In Windows, this path would be something like \\tower\flash\config\plugins\dynamix.  Rename it to sensors.conf (remove the .txt).

* At a console, copy the same sensors.conf to /etc/sensors.d, and refresh your Dynamix screen.  (Or you can reboot again.)

* If it worked, your Dynamix screen should display the 2 temps.  They aren't labeled, but just remember that they are CPU core0 and core1.

This is partly from memory, if I've missed a step, or something behaved differently than stated above, let me know, and I'll revise this.

Why would someone do this instead of the longer but more complete Wiki instructions (found here)?

* To see if it works first, before trying the longer procedure.

* You don't feel like installing Perl and dealing with the technical questions of sensors-detect.

* Because like me your board requires a driver not installed with UnRAID.  My board needs the Fintek driver f71882fg.  You can check here for more board and sensor chip driver info.

Edit:  Really sorry, I forgot one of the most important steps.  Inserted above.

sensors.conf.txt

Wiki page was:  Setting up lm_sensors to display CPU/motherboard temperatures in add-ons such as SimpleFeatures

Renamed to:    Setting up CPU and board temperature sensing

I've updated the wiki page for Dynamix, added a few Dynamix specific notes, and renamed it.  Well technically I moved it to the new name, with a redirect at the old name.  So the old name still works, but lands you on the wiki page under the new name.

If you wish, bonienl, you could edit your OP to point to the new name.  Also, it would be nice if you could check it over for accuracy.

Thanks RobJ for creating this.

I have updated the OP.

It is also possible to get PERL installed using the system-temp plugin file. People need to edit the PLG file and change the wording "no-install" into "do-install" at the appropriate line, you may want to add this installation possibility.

Here's a quick and dirty setup for AMD based boards that use the k8temp driver, most of those with Athlon 64 or FX or Opteron CPU's.  It does not show the motherboard temp, only the temps for the first 2 cores, but since the temps on the Dynamix screens aren't labeled, that's OK.  It should work for most k8temp-compatible boards, but apparently some of these boards do not reliably show correct temps.  Hopefully yours will, as mine does.

* Install the Dynamix System Temp plugin, and reboot.  You should see the 2 temp icons above and to the right, but with blank temps.

* Copy the attached sensors.conf.txt file to the flash drive, to the path /boot/config/plugins/dynamix. In Windows, this path would be something like \\tower\flash\config\plugins\dynamix.  Rename it to sensors.conf (remove the .txt).

* At a console, copy the same sensors.conf to /etc/sensors.d, and refresh your Dynamix screen.  (Or you can reboot again.)

* If it worked, your Dynamix screen should display the 2 temps.  They aren't labeled, but just remember that they are CPU core0 and core1.

This is partly from memory, if I've missed a step, or something behaved differently than stated above, let me know, and I'll revise this.

Thanks RobJ for the assistance. I tried your conf file, but no luck with my board. Guess it doesn't work well with phenom ii Processors. All the info I can find about lm_sensors and phenom ii is outdated.

I feel like I'm missing something. I don't think it should be this hard, haha. I've successfully run sensors-detect using Perl and gotten some sensor information, like that I only have one sensor (it87), but every time I run sensors I still get the error. I don't know how to get the full name of the sensor I need to add to my conf file. I've even tried searching on diff forums and using some that others with the it87 chip have used with no luck. I'm pretty sure my chip is supported by lm-sensors, as it is listed here: http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices (IT8718F)

What am I missing?

Looks like I need this for System Temp to work on my new mobo. Can anyone build it from source?

You can find it here (nct6775.ko for unraid-5.0.5): http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32057.8

Thanks. Turns out to have been a dead end for me. Not sure what I need. sensors-detect gives me coretemp and then an unknown chip trying family VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek. From some other searches I had seen about Nuvoton I thought this might help me but unfortunately not.

I know there are others using the ASUS H87-I motherboard here, so if anyone gets this working let me know.

Thanks RobJ for the assistance. I tried your conf file, but no luck with my board. Guess it doesn't work well with phenom ii Processors. All the info I can find about lm_sensors and phenom ii is outdated.

I feel like I'm missing something. I don't think it should be this hard, haha. I've successfully run sensors-detect using Perl and gotten some sensor information, like that I only have one sensor (it87), but every time I run sensors I still get the error. I don't know how to get the full name of the sensor I need to add to my conf file. I've even tried searching on diff forums and using some that others with the it87 chip have used with no luck. I'm pretty sure my chip is supported by lm-sensors, as it is listed here: http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices (IT8718F)

What am I missing?

What happens when you try the modprobe it87 command at a command prompt?

If it says 'device busy', you might try what pauven did here (near the end of the post).

Or try what xamindar did here, forcing a different ID.

It is also possible to get PERL installed using the system-temp plugin file. People need to edit the PLG file and change the wording "no-install" into "do-install" at the appropriate line, you may want to add this installation possibility.

Done.

Looks like I need this for System Temp to work on my new mobo. Can anyone build it from source?

You can find it here (nct6775.ko for unraid-5.0.5): http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32057.8

Thanks. Turns out to have been a dead end for me. Not sure what I need. sensors-detect gives me coretemp and then an unknown chip trying family VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek. From some other searches I had seen about Nuvoton I thought this might help me but unfortunately not.

I know there are others using the ASUS H87-I motherboard here, so if anyone gets this working let me know.

Seems you need asus_atk0110.ko. Try to do modprobe asus_atk0110.ko and see if that helps.

What happens when you try the modprobe it87 command at a command prompt?

If it says 'device busy', you might try what pauven did here (near the end of the post).

Or try what xamindar did here, forcing a different ID.

YES!!! Thank you RobJ!!!

It did say busy, so I tried the first link you posted. I have no idea where he got that info, or how you came across that thread, but I'm glad you linked it. I tried changing the line

append initrd=bzroot acpi_enforce_resources=lax

like Pauven recommended in the post. That changed the output of modprobe it87 from busy to nothing at all. Any change is good. So I tried running sensors once more just for kicks, AND IT WORKED! I'm not quite sure why, as I am pretty tired and maybe a little buzzed as well, but I'm pretty pumped.

I used the output of sensors to update my sensors.conf file to what it should be. For anyone interested*:

# lines starting with "#" are comments and ignored
# sensor configuration

chip "it8718-isa-0e80"

label temp1 "CPU Temp"
label temp2 "NB Temp"
label temp3 "MB Temp"

The temp gauges probably aren't correct*, I'll tweak those later. But it's putting out temps to Dynamix! Probably not accurate, but at least it's working. I was pretty close to calling it quits cuz it was becoming more work than it was worth.

Thanks again RobJ! If there was a thanks button I'd hit that fo sho.

*Edit: Updated sensors.conf file code section to accurate labels for it8718F sensor.

yes.jpg.3082534e704e6e1a61fa9f97d083b31e.jpg

Seems you need asus_atk0110.ko. Try to do modprobe asus_atk0110.ko and see if that helps.

Already tried that as well. It doesn't complain when I modprobe it but I am still getting sensors results for only coretemp:

coretemp-isa-0000

Physical id 0:  +38.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +92.0°C)

Core 0:        +36.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +92.0°C)

Core 1:        +35.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +92.0°C)

Core 2:        +33.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +92.0°C)

Core 3:        +38.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +92.0°C)

Can I make a sensors.conf from just this?

It doesn't complain when I modprobe it but I am still getting sensors results for only coretemp:

coretemp-isa-0000

Try a simple one like this:

chip "coretemp-*"

label temp1 "MB Temp"
label temp2 "CPU Temp"

If you get anything at all, then you can experiment with changing temp1 and temp2 to other things.

Make sure this sensors.conf is put into /etc/sensors.d, then refresh the Dynamix screen.  If it works, then make sure it is copied to /boot/config/plugins/dynamix for reinstallation after each boot.

It doesn't complain when I modprobe it but I am still getting sensors results for only coretemp:

coretemp-isa-0000

chip "coretemp-*"

label temp1 "MB Temp"
label temp2 "CPU Temp"

If you get anything at all, then you can experiment with changing temp1 and temp2 to other things.

Make sure this sensors.conf is put into /etc/sensors.d, then refresh the Dynamix screen.  If it works, then make sure it is copied to /boot/config/plugins/dynamix for reinstallation after each boot.

I tried to rename my coretemp's previous but it gives an error "unexpected space" Although I had tried "Label Core 1 "MB Temp" etc... I beleive the unexpected space was in the "Core 1" portion....

chip "coretemp-*"

label temp1 "MB Temp"
label temp2 "CPU Temp"

Thanks.

That does produce temp displays in Dynamix, and

sensors

now results in

coretemp-isa-0000
MB Temp:      +38.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +92.0°C)
CPU Temp:     +38.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +92.0°C)
Core 1:       +38.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +92.0°C)
Core 2:       +35.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +92.0°C)
Core 3:       +38.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +92.0°C)

so I guess what was Physical id 0 is now MB Temp and what was Core 0 is now CPU Temp. Does Physical id 0 really correspond to my MB Temp? Is there some way I can get the average or perhaps better the max of all the cores to display as my CPU Temp?

I tried to rename my coretemp's previous but it gives an error "unexpected space" Although I had tried "Label Core 1 "MB Temp" etc... I beleive the unexpected space was in the "Core 1" portion....

Yeah, renaming the Cores does not seem to work, you have to rename the 'temps'.  I haven't read enough to fully understand why.

so I guess what was Physical id 0 is now MB Temp and what was Core 0 is now CPU Temp. Does Physical id 0 really correspond to my MB Temp? Is there some way I can get the average or perhaps better the max of all the cores to display as my CPU Temp?

'MB Temp' and 'CPU Temp' are the 2 labels that Dynamix is looking for, and they don't mean a thing as to what the true source of their temp numbers are.  We use sensors.conf to force renaming the first 2 ports from the default values to what Dynamix is looking for.  I don't know what 'Physical id 0' is, you will have to do some research on coretemp.  You might try the 'modinfo coretemp' command, may produce some helpful info.  Who knows, 'Physical id 0' might be the max of the 4 core temps!  In your example it is, but that could be coincidence.

'MB Temp' and 'CPU Temp' are the 2 labels that Dynamix is looking for, and they don't mean a thing as to what the true source of their temp numbers are.  We use sensors.conf to force renaming the first 2 ports from the default values to what Dynamix is looking for.  I don't know what 'Physical id 0' is, you will have to do some research on coretemp.  You might try the 'modinfo coretemp' command, may produce some helpful info.  Who knows, 'Physical id 0' might be the max of the 4 core temps!  In your example it is, but that could be coincidence.

I think Physical id 0 may be the max of the 4 cores so I am going to make that my CPU temp. Looks like the MB temp is not available to me for now. I had looked around for info on the mobo and for the Nuvoton "unknown chip" and that is why I thought nct6775 might have helped. Since I am on 6b3 that .ko is already included and it didn't do anything for me. Seems others on other forums are not getting anywhere with this either for now.