unRAID fork(), concepts, ideas and discussion, Running unRAID on another distro.

I'm not trying to bust your balls and I know very little about this whole process, it just seems that you want to make a whole new version but use the code that Tom has written and that seems wrong.  I'm all for making unraid better, maybe it just the way it comes across in the thread.

If I offended you I am sorry, that was not my intention. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to bust your balls and I know very little about this whole process, it just seems that you want to make a whole new version but use the code that Tom has written and that seems wrong.  I'm all for making unraid better, maybe it just the way it comes across in the thread.

If I offended you I am sorry, that was not my intention.

No apology needed. I very much respect your point of view / opinion and you made some excellent points. Their were a couple of other people on here who were driving me nuts. I was also sick of defending myself so I'm sure I came across as a total a-hole in many of posts.

Just so you know...

I want to use emhttp with Tom's blessing and so he gets 100% of compensatation and I would like for this to remain on unRAID's site (assuming he steps up in this area too).

However, the lack of response from Tom, him being noncommittal, his long development cycles, etc. and if he still wants to force us to use Slackware, bzroot, etc... I'm sorry, I will go my own way. There is a great many of us who do not want to be forced to play in his sandbox that is dated back to 2005 and it doesn't help that he does not support the product as to where we do not need / want to leave or get PhD's in Virtualization and spend a lot of money to run unRAID in a VM to work around unRAID Kernel / bzroot / Slackware / etc.

You are wanting to make unRAID better, I am and so are a lot of people... We are dependent on one person and based on his communications and development cycles over the last 3 or so years.... His track record for the things I list above is not very good and I would be lying if I said I expect some magical change from him all of a sudden.

It also doesn't help / excuse Tom's lack of support / development cycles when it LITERALLY takes 30 minutes or so to convert unRAID from where it is now to a 64 Bit version with all the features I describe to any Mainstream Linux Distro (with just a handful of steps I posted a page or so back with a handful of files). If it takes him years to do something that you (a complete Linux), me, anyone can do in 30 minutes or so... What exactly is going on behind the scenes?

Now others will claim that his version / Slackware is more stable / tested / etc. than CentOS or openSUSE or Red Hat Linux. However, if they knew what they were talking about they would understand that the Linux Kernel 3.9.11 compiled the same way on CentOS is the exact the same one we use in Slackware now and I could directly copy the one from Slackware or CentOS and there wouldn't be 1 difference. If PHP or Samba is a newer version, does that mean Enterprises (who have billions of dollars in investments and the life blood of their company) are moving backwards and should instead install END OF LIFE software with known security holes that were fixed in later versions? Even Red Hat (which runs ANCIENT versions of software) has newer versions than many of the ones we have in unRAID today. Hell if someone really wanted to be anal they could install the exact same versions of samba, udev, openssl, etc. and have a 100% match of unRAID in Slackware on a different Distro with a 100% match on package versions and Linux Kernel with the only difference have a package manager. Why people would think running 3.5.3 of PHP is better then 3.X.X that Enterprises / Red Hat / etc. uses to do billions of dollars for Amazon would blow my mind but whatever. I'm sure there will be a post or two to say the version tom has used from 4 years ago with many Security Bulletins for Security issues is better because Tom of all people knows more than Red Hat / Amazon / the people who actually develop PHP could ever hope too know.

Honestly... I really don't know what is going behind the scenes with Tom but if knew what I knew about how easy it is to do the things I am talking about here and using the same kernel, same packages, etc. in Slackware or CentOS or pick your Linux Distro... You would be frustrated too. If using a simple guide that I provide you can do it in 30 minutes with 20 less steps than adding a TV Card Driver in unRAID (which TONS of people who are linux noobs are forced to do)... What the hell is going on and how can he justify that or expect me / others who are also aware of this to sit here and keep our trap shut and play in a sandbox he forces us into when he is MIA 95% of the time?

Based on what he has stated... we have several more version of unRAID to go before he gets to a 64 Bit version. Based on his past... We are talking about 2015 here. So why is 30 minutes worth of work (hell lets say it takes 4 hours) take so far 2 years and the way its going probably another one? Does anyone else wonder why that is?

Which is why instead of releasing a Distro... I will simply write a guide for Arch (which has systemd and CentOS will have in 7.0) and add it to my Arch thread which I need to complete anyway. Then you can do it yourself and like me... scratch your head and wonder what is going on over at Limetech.

Truth be told, I'm not the only one who is about to create an unRAID Linux Distro (I have had 3 separate groups ask me to join them). There are groups working on it in various Linux Distros behind the scenes who do not post here. So one way or another, either Tom better get into gear or hire some help. Otherwise, he is going to find himself playing catch up and competing against a lot of people who have more time and more committed to enhancing unRAID than he seems too. The shame is, they will provide their own emhttp too and Tom would lose out on that potential revenue.

I honestly don't understand as a business person why Tom would want that but his actions (or lack their of) and trying to hold back 5+ years of innovation in Hardware, Software, Linux, NAS, usenet, torrents, XBMC, Virtualization etc. and force people to use unRAID as it was originally designed and how he wanted to support it way back in 2005 simply isn't go to work for some (I suspect a lot).

Perhaps most of his customers just want a straight NAS and those people are happy with the way things are and the plugin system. I dunno.... only thing I can think of.

Like I said in the other post...

People here want a "fork" of unRAID that uses CentOS. CentOS takes 100% of Red Hat Linux (Commercial Product), did ZERO development for it and packages it up and distributes it. If what CentOS is doing is so "wrong" why do people want to use it? Why is it VERY VERY popular? Why do people here want to use it? Why is it that Red Hat and CentOS have partnership?

The way the open source community works is purposely designed to foster / encourage "forks". This is why there are thousands and thousands and thousands of them. Most of the apps you run are a fork and many of those will turn into yet another fork. There are primarily less than 10 Linux Distros from which 100s of people "forked" them and created Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, etc. to name a few.

I'm down and out for three days and all hell breaks loose.

I'm going to lock this thread but not move it to the Bilge.  I think everyone has made their point ad nauseum.

To grumpy: yes I have communicated in PM that I appreciate your involvement, and I have shared my rough road map, which you have now shared with everyone else.  I do think the idea of an 'unRaid package' is long overdue and we are adjusting business plans to accommodate this.  I just ask for a little more patience.  As for all the flaming - well grump, if you are willing to dish it out you should be willing to take it too.  My only option is tell all the moderators to simply delete without warning any and all messages that are personal attacks (and they would be the sole arbitrars of that).  Is this really where we want to go?  Man life is too short for this.  I had a good friend crash his car just after midnight on Dec 26 - died at the scene.  He was around 33 years old, leaves behind a wife and three kids.  My point is that let's put this stuff in perspective.  The hardest thing to do sometimes is show kindness.

To anti-grumpy's: yes, sometimes grump's approach sounds like blackmail.  Pretty sure he doesn't intend that.  But to you all I say this: make your point and then please let it be.

I have more to say on this, but at present I'm on three different cold medications, very tired, and well, just don't feel like it now.