Which distro for the new x64 unRAID project?

*lionelhutz  -  I prefer that you don't participate in this thread.  Thank you.

You are censoring posters?!

I was just trying to keep the negative tone out of this poll, based on the comments he'd made in the thread that lead to this one.

On that note i suggest none and slackware and ubuntu are added to the poll list

Done

Why do you think his business is on the line? Are you threatening it?

The marketplace will decide that.

How many people are going to pay Tom for all the "support", documentation, development cycles, guides, etc. when there is 64-Bit version, in a Linux Distro that isn't Slackware, with more features, a real package management system, Virtualization build in and a TEAM of developers who actively work on it? Not to mention there is no key to purchase to unlock the number of drives you can / cannot use.

I'm certainly no Eisenstein but I can't exactly see how that is going to drive more business (revenues) his way.

On that note i suggest none and slackware and ubuntu are added to the poll list

I do not care if Slackware were to receive every vote. We will not be releasing "unRAID AntiChrist Edition" on Slackware, period the end.

All we would end up doing is DUPLICATING the EXACT same problems / issues we are hoping to solve.

That Linux Distro is dead, there is no community, it has no forum, no documentation, no blogs, no package manager or binaries, etc. that are dated before 2009 practically. There is no support online that will help me, you, everyone else when they want to add additional features or functionally to their system.

For example...

To install XBMC, you have to go compile a bunch of dependencies and dependencies of the dependencies just to get it to the point of compiling / installing it. It took me (A Linux Expert / Pro) practically all day to do this. There isn't a chance in hell I would subject users to that when they can simple type "yum install XBMC" or "apt-get install XBMC" and install a binary that is managed / maintained by a team of (EXPERTS) Package Managers whose sole responsibility is for that specific software package... Which of course installs XBMC in seconds.

This is one of the main reasons why unRAID is stuck in 2005 and why development cycles are so long and why innovation doesn't happen as quick as we would like and why we have the plugin mess that we do.

Some poor sap took months to write a 2,000+ line plugin that may or may not work for virtualbox. In any other Linux Distro that I can think of aside from Slackware... You simple type "yum install virtualbox" or "apt-get install virtualbox" get the latest version and have it in seconds. Hell even in Gentoo where you pretty much compile everything and do not download binaries you can install it via "emerge --ask app-emulation/virtualbox".

We thought about this but both sides were liable for bans under a strict interpretation. Who would that benefit? Certainly not the community.

Also threads were getting self deleted by posters making it much harder to be fair since the evidence and the timeline was being altered in a one sided fashion.

But I have real work, a real family and real commitments. Far to many to keep up with this nonsense.

It seems to me that a forum member should only be able to delete or edit their own posts, and only moderators should be able to delete or move or edit posts contributed by others. I don't think I have ever been on a forum where a single individual that was not a moderator could delete an entire thread, deleting the contributions of many other users with it.

I voted OpenSUSE.

I would like to see this project stay here and stay a part of this community, as I'm sure a lot of the unRAID community would. Sadly, if grumpy, ironic, Ford, etc chose to go elsewhere and make a fully open sourced product I can't say I'd blame them after what's been said by a few members that obviously disapprove of the project. 

What's really needed here is for Tom to step in and clear the air about what he intends to do and put all the back and forth to rest. I know we are all busy, but no one is too busy to take 10 minutes to lay it out there. At a juncture as critical as this in one's business, the silence is very strange indeed.

... no one is too busy to take 10 minutes to lay it out there

We (the mods) have asked Tom to weigh in ... but it's much more than a 10-minute task.  Just reading through the various posts to understand what's been said; what's been threatened; and what folks are claiming would take several hours -- and he'd still not be fully aware of everything that was said in the threads where the posters have "taken their ball and gone home" (i.e. deleted an entire thread).    In addition, a lot of those posts are direct attacks at Tom, which doesn't help matters at all.

I suspect that his current focus is to get the 64-bit UnRAID released, which will include several nice enhancements to the core functionality.    Hopefully that will cool things down a bit.

You do realize that since 2006 (8 years) that Tom has a whooping total of 380 posts in the Support forum and the other 65,698+ are from the rest of us, right?

While it's true that Tom is relatively sparse in the forum, it's also true that he does virtually all of his support via e-mail, NOT in the forum.    In addition to that, your numbers are incorrect ... Tom posted 842 posts in this forum in 2013, and has posted over 4,000 since he initiated the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted OpenSUSE.

+1

... At a juncture as critical as this in one's business ...

Honestly, I don't see a real juncture, more so - critical.

unRAID is for people who want NAS-like hassle-free functionality for fraction of cost.

"AntiChrist Edition", like, e.g., SnapRaid, will be for ones who don't mind having intense sexual relations learn and play with the system more than use it.

Different client bases.