Cache drive question

This might not be the fastest way but I run a lean vm of XP on the unRAID box to convert DVD files on unRAID into ISOs for my XBMC.  I use DVDShrink on the VM for this conversion.  It might not be faster than command line (I'll look into that) but it is way faster than doing it on a local computer because the data doesn't have to make the network round trips and all the processing is within unRAID.  It works great.

What is a good split level for Movies if the source structure looks like this

Movies/Action/Transformers/files

Movies/Drama/God Father/...files

What about a Backup share, that has all pictures and docs

Backup/Apps/Nero/

I have my movies set to level 2 now and my backup to 1. I didn't mean to set the backup to 1, just goofed.  Should I and can I easliy change that without any issues?

Thanks

For the first case;

Level 1 - Movies directory could split and be on multiple drives

Level 2 - Action directory could split and be on multiple drives

Level 3 - Transformers directory could split and be on multiple drives

So, I think you'd want to use level 2 but you may want to use level 1 so the genre directories aren't spread over all the drives. If the genre directories are spread over all the drives then looking for an "Action" movie would spin up all the drives. But then, just looking at the "Movies" likely will likely spin up all the drives anyways. It also keeps things more organized for the future in case you end up doing some sorting of files later.

Same with the Backup directory, you may want level 1 so that all the Apps stay on the same drive. You may also want to use includes or excludes to keep the Backup on a single drive anyways.

Peter

• 3 months later...

Is it safe to change from level 2 split to level 1, after you have alot of data loaded?  I have 9 drives, which includes 1 cache and 1 parity, so 7 data drives, that total just under 8tb.  I only have 2 tb free.  Can I just go change the split level?

Thanks,

Steve