[Solved] Plex dying every few hours

The first post in this thread it quite informative, If you don't have a cache drive, then create a separate share just for pled and change the "/mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library" portion of the screenshot to the "/mnt/user/yourshare/appdata/plex/Library" . Temp should be "/mnt/user/yourshare/plextemp"

If you have a cache drive, leave it exactly as they have it shown. Don't install the plex updater at this point, I have read it doesn't work at the moment as it hasn't been modified to point to the new locations of the files.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/42513-0963-for-unraid/

So it seems to be crashing less often but still at least once per day.

It's weird - if i go to tower:32400/web when this happens it gives me a server side error message and my TV can still pick up the shows that Plex has in the library, however images don't show up when browsing the movies.

I'm not sure which log file to look at and what I'm looking for.

Do you guys think I should move away from the plugin and follow the instructions posted above?

Thank you!

Plex reports this error:

CRITICAL (agentservice:458) - Exception in update for com.plexapp.agents.imdb://tt1454468?lang=en (most recent call last):

File "/mnt/cache/plex/library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/System.bundle/Contents/Code/agentservice.py", line 437, in update_task

tasks.append(task)

WARNING: Couldn't create directory /mnt/cache/plex/library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Media-Flags.bundle/Contents/Resources/substitutions.xml

Is your cache drive full?  If it has space, try running Check Disk or Disk Utility or Reiserfsck on it and make sure the file structure is correct.

It looks as if the AGENTS are crashing. (the agents that go out and look up a movie in external databases such as IMDB)

Would the permissions have anything to do with it? I had to manually change permissions when I moved Libraries from my Mac mini to Unraid

It could be permissions, yes.

The error messages indicate that 'write' operations are failing pretty deep in the directory structures where mortal men rarely venture.

A Permissions error would definitely explain it.

You're out of my league on that one...you'll need a *nix guru to weigh in on doing the correct global perms fix for your cache drive.

Its also possible that there's help on the Plex forum on how to move libraries, but if we're going to bet on an answer that's quick and accurate albeit *nix techie, my money's on the unRAID forums.

Results of reiserfsck:

root@Tower:~# reiserfsck /dev/sde1

reiserfsck 3.6.21 (2009 www.namesys.com)

** If you are using the latest reiserfsprogs and  it fails **

** please  email bug reports to [email protected], **

** providing  as  much  information  as  possible --  your **

** hardware,  kernel,  patches,  settings,  all reiserfsck **

** messages  (including version),  the reiserfsck logfile, **

** check  the  syslog file  for  any  related information. **

** If you would like advice on using this program, support **

** is available  for $25 at  www.namesys.com/support.html. **

Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/sde1

Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes

###########

reiserfsck --check started at Sun Jan 19 17:05:05 2014

###########

Replaying journal: Done.

Reiserfs journal '/dev/sde1' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed

Checking internal tree.. finished                 

Comparing bitmaps..finished

Checking Semantic tree:

finished                                                                     

No corruptions found

There are on the filesystem:

Leaves 6302

Internal nodes 43

Directories 1202

Other files 7974

Data block pointers 4604639 (0 of them are zero)

Safe links 0

###########

reiserfsck finished at Sun Jan 19 17:06:04 2014

###########

According to your syslog, mover is moving your plex installation when it runs at 3:40 am. You need to set your plex share to cache-only. If you didn't actually create a plex share you have one anyway because any folder at the root of /mnt/user or /mnt/cache is automatically a share.

Another way to do this is to install to /mnt/cache/.plex

Mover ignores any cache-only share or hidden folder. Any folder in Linux which starts with '.' is hidden.

Your transmission install seems to be in /mnt/cache/.transmission, for example.

After you have this fixed, you can clean up the mess made when plex got moved to your other drives by going to /mnt/user0 (the shares excluding cache) and delete the plex folder.

Mover ignores any cache-only share or hidden folder. Any folder in Linux which starts with '.' is hidden.

After you have this fixed, you can clean up the mess made when plex got moved to your other drives by going to /mnt/user0 (the shares excluding cache) and delete the plex folder.

This would explain why every time I restarted Plex I had to accept the EULA and go through setup...

I just did this - I'm excited to report back the results.  Thank you!!!

Not for nuthin', but using dot prefixes to prevent the mover taking action on a folder is no longer the standard way to do it.  As mentioned you could, SHOULD, be designating shares "cache only" in the Shares config screen.  It has the same effect but also avoid issues that have been known to pop-up when using the hidden folder dot-prefix method.

Not for nuthin', but using dot prefixes to prevent the mover taking action on a folder is no longer the standard way to do it.  As mentioned you could, SHOULD, be designating shares "cache only" in the Shares config screen.  It has the same effect but also avoid issues that have been known to pop-up when using the hidden folder dot-prefix method.

+1

(For example, "Dot names" are 'hidden' from the OS X and Windows operating systems. So if you ever need to access something from your PC its not going to show up in Windows explorer (at least not without playing with buried settings.)  Much more 'user friendly' are the 'cache only' shares.