Does anyone never shutdown their server?

I leave mine on all the time.  Only time I shut it down is for configuration changes (install more/bigger drives), minor maintenance (re-seat connectors, blow out the dust), or when  on vacation (reduce fire hazard or potential for lightening damage).  Equipment reliability has been very good for over four (4) years.

Kevin

Thanks for all the quick replies. I guess I shouldnt have an issue leaving my server on all the time as long as the drives go to sleep. Im wondering if this will affect my power usage a lot over the course of a month? I never realized people have no worries about leaving the server on all the time. Unraid doesnt support WOL on my motherboard unfortunately which is why I was asking.

My main media server hasn't been shut down in ~ 6 years except for a few power failures that exceeded 5 minutes, which is the threshold I have the APC UPS package set to do an auto-shutdown.

My second server hasn't been shut down since I built it a little over a year ago.

My backup server is shutdown all the time except for once/month when it's turned on (via WOL) to automatically sync the data from my other two servers.

Mine just gets shut down when I upgrade something or change a disk, which isn't that often. Other then that it goes to sleep around 12.00 once the mover the s done and I wake it up again around 7 or 8am. 

The only other time it gets shut down as after 3min when there's a power failure which isn't that often.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I guess I shouldnt have an issue leaving my server on all the time as long as the drives go to sleep. Im wondering if this will affect my power usage a lot over the course of a month? I never realized people have no worries about leaving the server on all the time. Unraid doesnt support WOL on my motherboard unfortunately which is why I was asking.

Your drives use 5 - 10 Watts of power each.

There have been COUNTLESS studies and putting your drives to sleep or not does not shorten / extend the life of your drives.

Im wondering if this will affect my power usage a lot over the course of a month?

Obviously this depends on how much power your system draws at idle (drives not spinning).  Mine, for example, draws 20 watts in that state.  20 watts x 24 hrs x 365 days = ~ 175kwh/year, or at $0.12/kwh (typical US cost) that's about $21/year to leave it on all year.

A more power-hungry server that draws 2-3 times that would obviously cost more, but still not likely more than $5/month.

Obviously this depends on how much power your system draws at idle (drives not spinning).  Mine, for example, draws 20 watts in that state.  20 watts x 24 hrs x 365 days = ~ 175kwh/year, or at $0.12/kwh (typical US cost) that's about $21/year to leave it on all year.

A more power-hungry server that draws 2-3 times that would obviously cost more, but still not likely more than $5/month.

I can't tell you how many nerds who lost their minds that I didn't spend $50, $100, $200, $500+ dollars extra when buying Hardware for a Server that was lower power or why I do not jump through hoops so my Server can sleep.

I drive a car that gets 15 MPG and don't recycle my bath water... Why they expect me to spend the extra money / drive myself crazy putting a Server to sleep over $20 - $50 dollars a year is beyond me.

I think for some nerds... All the power stuff is a hobby / challenge / passion / religion.

Im wondering if this will affect my power usage a lot over the course of a month?

What mobo/processor and combination of drives are you using to get 20 Watts at idle?  Does your processor also sleep?!

What mobo/processor and combination of drives are you using to get 20 Watts at idle?  Does your processor also sleep?!

No, my CPU doesn't sleep.  The system actually draws 19w when the drives are spun down.  It's a SuperMicro X7SPA-H-D525-O motherboard with 6 3TB WD Reds (when I built it, the 4TB's weren't out yet).

No, my CPU doesn't sleep.  The system actually draws 19w when the drives are spun down.  It's a SuperMicro X7SPA-H-D525-O motherboard with 6 3TB WD Reds (when I built it, the 4TB's weren't out yet).

which processor?

which processor?

Did you look up the motherboard??    It's got an Atom D525 embedded on it (thus the name).

which processor?

Did you look up the motherboard??    It's got an Atom D525 embedded on it (thus the name).

Sorry, I meant to go back and edit that post after I reviewed the MB.  I wasn't familiar with embedded processors so just assumed you forgot to mention it.

I don't understand the question. Why would anyone want to turn off a server? Just kidding. This is simply a cost-benfit problem. Does the cost of running the server 24/7 outweigh the benefits? The cost is primarily electricity. As long as the server is used daily the wear on components is not a significant factor

Server, 4 desktop PCs, 2 HTPCs, 4 phones, 4 tablets - all on 24/7. Too lazy to turn 'em off, and as grumpy & gary mentioned the power usage is probably about the same cost as a quick snack at Taco Bell or McDs, so I don't worry about it.

Don't know if it's still the case (maybe it never was), but as a young 'un, I was always told that the greatest danger to electronics was in the initial power surge when turning them on, so it was actually better on the electronics to leave them on 24/7.

I was just looking at some SMART stats on my drives - I've got one that reports almost 43000 power on hours.