Bad Hard Drive or Motherboard

Hi Everyone,

I am having issues with my drives or motherboard but need some direction.

I will start at the beginning. I bough a 4U server case and two  new 3TB drives. I hds a  Asus Mobo laying around and also a 2TB drive.

I built serve and installed Unraid. All fired and an took sometime for it to run its paces. The server was finally ready so i started transferring my Movies and went to bed. Checked it t next day and one drive was taken off the serve an had the red ball on the status page.  I pulled the drive and got a replacement. Added the drive and started the parity-sync and it fails in minutes.

The other 3TB drive says it needs formatted. I try that and it fails in minutes.

I did drop the server while replacing the drive. It landed on the rack ear and bent the ear. I don't see any other physical damage.

Attached is a screen shot with the errors and also the smart reports of all drives.

I am at a loss as to what to try now. Any ideas? All data from the drives are backed up on other drives so no worries about starting over if need be.

Thanks for any help.

smart_sdb.txt

smart_sdc.txt

smart_sdd.txt

I will try that tomorrow when i get a chance.

I just bought these from NewEgg. I already replaced one and now the replacement is dead, along with the other. Should i switch over to different drives?

Were these drives in the server when this happened?

I did drop the server while replacing the drive. It landed on the rack ear and bent the ear. I don't see any other physical damage.

Unless i am missing something on sea tools, all it said was pass and no options to view the report.

There is an option to view the Sea Tools log files on the Help menu.    There will be log files (by serial number) for each disk tested.    These are only appended to I believe so if you have run several tests on the same drive the results of all the tests should all be there.

Using SeaTools, after I run SMART Check. It says SMART - Pass, then pops an icon that says "Pass Info". Then I click View Log info and all it tells me is what tests I have run. There is no where to view the findings from that test.

Here is what the Log shows:

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.2.0.10 ---------------

1/15/2014 5:03:15 PM

Model: ST3000VN000-1H4167

Serial Number: Z300SH81

Firmware Revision: SC43

Short DST - Started 1/15/2014 5:03:15 PM

Short DST - Pass 1/15/2014 5:04:18 PM

Identify - Started 1/15/2014 5:05:05 PM

Short DST - Started 1/15/2014 5:05:41 PM

Short DST - Pass 1/15/2014 5:06:44 PM

SMART - Pass 1/15/2014 5:13:56 PM

SMART - Pass 1/15/2014 5:15:43 PM

Using SeaTools, after I run SMART Check. It says SMART - Pass, then pops an icon that says "Pass Info". Then I click View Log info and all it tells me is what tests I have run. There is no where to view the findings from that test.

I can view the same log by going into help, then view log.

Here is what the Log shows:

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.2.0.10 ---------------

1/15/2014 5:03:15 PM

Model: ST3000VN000-1H4167

Serial Number: Z300SH81

Firmware Revision: SC43

Short DST - Started 1/15/2014 5:03:15 PM

Short DST - Pass 1/15/2014 5:04:18 PM

Identify - Started 1/15/2014 5:05:05 PM

Short DST - Started 1/15/2014 5:05:41 PM

Short DST - Pass 1/15/2014 5:06:44 PM

SMART - Pass 1/15/2014 5:13:56 PM

SMART - Pass 1/15/2014 5:15:43 PM

When I saw your post and smart tests originally, I searched for "End to End Error" as it indicates it is "FAILING NOW" (and I have no experience with the new Seagates, and I have one waiting to be installed...)

184 End-to-End_Error        0x0032  098  098  099    Old_age  Always  FAILING_NOW 2  (the other drive had a raw value of 7)

I wouldn't trust Seatools as an indicator of a drive problem, especially if it is only reporting if the smart test "passed", which is not an indicator of a failing drive.  Usually a smart test will fail after it is too late to save your data.

End-to-End Error-

Appears to be an internal memory cache problem, although this seemed to be the most logical explanation:

The "end-to-end" error count is the number of times the drive has detected the following problem:

The data sent to the write mechanism did not match the data received from the computer.

In other words, in means that the data was corrupted while in the drive controller. This is an electronic problem caused by an unstable processor on the drive.

Theoretically, there are possibilities like bad power (or bad power connector), but this is almost always a sign of failing chips on the drive

The power supply i am using came from my tower that is a few years old. It was stable the whole time in there. I gutted the tower and used the motherboard, processor, memory and power supply to build this unraid server.

The tower had 4 hard drives and ran great. So i doubt its a power supply issue, but i could be wrong.

These two drives are still returnable to newegg so maybe i should return these and switch over to western digital?

So with these drives in Windows, they work, is it just windows doesn't care about the errors like Unraid does?

What are your thoughts?