Bad Hard Drive or Motherboard

Thoses are both new 3TB NAS Seagate's. Should i get a refund and switch brands? I already rma'd one of them. So three drives new ones and all three are bad.

So with the preclear working on all drives, is it safe to say the motherboard is working correctly?

That could be a shipper problem.  Assume you got the drives at the same time from same shipment?  I had 3 out of 5 drives I ordered from newegg come out bad.  Got newegg to send me replacements and 1 of the 3 replacements is bad so am RMA'ing that this week.  All due to the lousy packaging they have been doing lately.  The black friday rush didn't help my 5 drive shipment any.
  • 1 month later...

Long story short, I have a new 3TB drive. The other is on its way.

I added the new drive and tried a preclear. LEft it go over night and saw an error in the morning before heading off to work. I didn't screen capture the error and cant remember exactly what it was. Some format error I believe.

When I came home later today, the preclear restarted. and the error was not in the putty screen anymore.

I added the new 3TB as the Parity drive. I get errors like before and get the red ball.

Attached is the sys log and smart report from the 3TB drive.

I am really getting frustrated with this.

Can anyone please shed some light.

Thanks Dave

smart.txt

syslog-2-28-14.txt

Check the cable connections to the drive. The SMART report indicates that the drive is bad. Note the words "FAILING NOW". I would not use any drive that has that message anywhere in its SMART report. The alternative possibility is that the system is causing the problems. Does it always happen to drives in the same physical position? Switch the position with a known good drive. Does the good drive go bad after the swap? Does the bad drive now pass a pre-clear after the swap? I've never seen a drive recover after FAILING NOW is indicated and don't know if it's possible.

Moved to cables from the working 2TB to the questionable 3TB and tried a preclear again.

Failed at the end.

Attached is the screen shot of Putty.

Also the Smart report was not generated other than this message...

Device Identity failed: Input/output error

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

preclear_error.PNG.807b43ed4459cbb8ca1e804c44ff1643.PNG

The other new 3TB driuve showed up. I removed the questionable 3TB drive and installed the new one. Tried to run  a preclear and get an error...

BLKRRPART: Input/output error

Sorry: Device /dev/sdb is not responding to an fdisk -1 /dev/sdb command.

You might try power-cycling it to see if it will start responding.

I powered down and swapped cables with the working 2TB and it gave me same error.

Also in the unraid main page, in the disk drop down menu it is not showing the correct number of bytes. its showing 4044975.

If I try and run a smart report, I get a error...

Read SMART Data failed: scsi error aborted command

My two cents - with that many drive failures, I'd start to suspect the mobo. I'm not sure what advice to give you to test that theory out, but it does seem highly unlikely that you'd be the recipient of every one of that suppliers stock of bad drives. Then again, maybe you are and the rest of us should be thanking you...  ;D

After some digging I found this. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12036.0

A quote from Prostuff1 "DO NOT use this motherboard.  IT has the Atheros Chipset for the onboard NIC which does not play well with unRAID."

Looks like I will need to get another Mobo and I guesses a new processor.

Was hoping to do this UnRaid cheaper than its turning out to be but you have to pay to play sometimes.

Any suggestions guys on something decent that will not to to expensive?

After some digging I found this. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12036.0

A quote from Prostuff1 "DO NOT use this motherboard.  IT has the Atheros Chipset for the onboard NIC which does not play well with unRAID."

Looks like I will need to get another Mobo and I guesses a new processor.

Was hoping to do this UnRaid cheaper than its turning out to be but you have to pay to play sometimes.

Any suggestions guys on something decent that will not to to expensive?

The Atheros chipset is not a problem as of version 5.

Well that's good news. I will dig some more to see if I can find if larger than 2TB is an issue with that board.

Oh yah. I did do an update on the bios. It was a few versions old.

The board doesn't need to correctly identify the larger drives. As long as the OS, unRAID, identifies the drives correctly in the GUI then they will work. The board may not be able to boot from a large volume but that is not a problem with unRAID.