Setting up Your File Structure and User Shares on unRAID®

I do not, however, restrict any shares to a specific disk => there's no advantage to that in terms of management of the content; and that way none of my shares ever run out of space.

I do this only for a few shares that I KNOW will not be large (i.e. pictures and documents).

I restrict them to a specific disk so that I can create a backup share (i.e. pictures_backup) on a different disk and rsync the contents weekly. This gives me a pseudo hot backup.

Obviously they are backed up off system as well.

... I restrict them to a specific disk so that I can create a backup share (i.e. pictures_backup) on a different disk and rsync the contents weekly.

This statement of course begs a comment that "a 2nd copy on the same system is NOT a backup !!"

... however, you clearly understand that, based on your follow-up comment:

... Obviously they are backed up off system as well.

... and it is true, of course, that having a 2nd copy on a different disk helps reduce the likelihood of data loss on the UnRAID server.    Do you have dual parity on that server?  (That would actually be better protection than a 2nd copy of the data -- although you could of course do both)

... and it is true, of course, that having a 2nd copy on a different disk helps reduce the likelihood of data loss on the UnRAID server.    Do you have dual parity on that server?  (That would actually be better protection than a 2nd copy of the data -- although you could of course do both)

I feel that a 2nd copy satisfies the version control part of a backup scheme better than a 2nd parity disk. Either way if the entire server is toast you lose the data, but at least with a 2nd copy on the same server you can recover from accidental deletion or editing, as long as you catch the error before you replicate it to the 2nd copy.

... I restrict them to a specific disk so that I can create a backup share (i.e. pictures_backup) on a different disk and rsync the contents weekly.

This statement of course begs a comment that "a 2nd copy on the same system is NOT a backup !!"

... however, you clearly understand that, based on your follow-up comment:

... Obviously they are backed up off system as well.

3 data drives + 1 parity currently (+ 1 cache disk). Dont think I'll be going to dual parity as its not worth the investment and my Q25 would then be out of SATA ports....

3 data drives + 1 parity currently (+ 1 cache disk). Dont think I'll be going to dual parity as its not worth the investment and my Q25 would then be out of SATA ports....

I have 5 data + 2 parity + 2 cache in my Q25 with an eSATA port out the back for whatever. 8)

I've used my PCIe slot for a GPU (Plex Media Player VM), so I'm stuck at 6 SATA ports.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Hi all, I'm new here, trying to read through as many threads as I can, currently testing my setup.. (it would be good if the blog url in the original post would still work, btw).

From what I've learned so far, one of the nice advantages of having a share limited to individual discs is in a scenario, when there are data that you need on a daily basis (in my case music, work docs..) and keep them on a single disc, so the rest of the discs doesn't have to spin up each time you switch to another track or artist.. :) Especially if more users are using it..

Edited by Maik
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...