Possible to set a min free space for the cache drive?

I have a problem with my cache drive filling up. It is only 120gb and can easily fill up if I transfer too much data over in one day.

For example, I currently only have 17GB of space left on my cache drive. I start ripping a 37GB bluray to my multimedia user share which is set to use the cache drive. Makemkv warns me that there is only 17GB left on the share, I continue, and the cache drive eventually fills up causing the rip to fail.

First of all, why is the user share reporting my cache drive available space instead of the entire share available space (which is several terrabytes)?

Second, I have the cache disk "min free space" setting set to 30GB but this seems to be ignored or not do what I want. What am I doing wrong?

It would seem to make more sense to me for unraid to write the next file directly to the array if the cache drive gets almost filled.

Is there any way to do this? Or do I just need a bigger cache drive (or manually run the mover to make more cache space when it gets full)?

I don't know of a way of doing this.

The idea of a cache drive is to, in the planning stages, purchase a drive which is going to cover all of your daily transfer needs. If this is a regular issue you can buy a bigger cache drive, or simply create a separate share which doesn't use the cache drive at all and writes directly to the array. Sure that will be a little slower but will save your cache drive filling up!

I have a problem with my cache drive filling up. It is only 120gb and can easily fill up if I transfer too much data over in one day.

For example, I currently only have 17GB of space left on my cache drive. I start ripping a 37GB bluray to my multimedia user share which is set to use the cache drive. Makemkv warns me that there is only 17GB left on the share, I continue, and the cache drive eventually fills up causing the rip to fail.

Note that the min free space setting is only checked when first creating a file.  Therefore the min free space setting needs to be large enough to allow for the largest file that you might create (and if you might be doing several in parallel the sum of them).  If you run out of space on the drive after creating the file as you write it there is no automatic fail-over to the array drives and you get an error about running out of space.

It would seem to make more sense to me for unraid to write the next file directly to the array if the cache drive gets almost filled.

That is what happens for me once the free space on the cache drive falls below the min free space value.

Note that the min free space setting is only checked when first creating a file.  Therefore the min free space setting needs to be large enough to allow for the largest file that you might create (and if you might be doing several in parallel the sum of them).  If you run out of space on the drive after creating the file as you write it there is no automatic fail-over to the array drives and you get an error about running out of space.

I think you may have missed the example in my first post. Cache only has 17GB free, min free space is set to 30GB. Since the cache drive has less than the minimum, why is it still letting me create new files on the cache drive (in my example, the new bluray rip).

That is what happens for me once the free space on the cache drive falls below the min free space value.

Ok, then this is not happening for me, at least for the cache drive. As I posted above, min free space for the cache drive is set to 30GB and there is currently onlt 17GB available on the cache drive. If I attempt to write a new file it is still written to the cache drive instead of directly to the array in this case.

I'm on unraid 5.0 so I am confused that mine is acting different than yours. I'm not using any split levels on the shares, should I be? There has got to be some option set somewhere else preventing my min free space setting from working.

I did install the Dynamix web gui, could that be causing the issue?

Or invoke mover manually.

But then you have to wait for it to complete which could take hours for a drive full of data.

Just curious, why do you have to wait? As soon as the drive is showing enough free space for the operation, why not go ahead? Then after you've finished your operation, and the mover finishes its first run, you can manually run it again, or just wait for the daily schedule if you don't need it cleared right then.

I think you may have missed the example in my first post. Cache only has 17GB free, min free space is set to 30GB. Since the cache drive has less than the minimum, why is it still letting me create new files on the cache drive (in my example, the new bluray rip).

Ok, then this is not happening for me, at least for the cache drive. As I posted above, min free space for the cache drive is set to 30GB and there is currently onlt 17GB available on the cache drive. If I attempt to write a new file it is still written to the cache drive instead of directly to the array in this case.

I'm on unraid 5.0 so I am confused that mine is acting different than yours. I'm not using any split levels on the shares, should I be? There has got to be some option set somewhere else preventing my min free space setting from working.

I did install the Dynamix web gui, could that be causing the issue?

Attach a screen shot of the cache config page and a syslog.