Min-Space when transferring folders with in-between space?

I've always had this problem but never bothered to find a solution but I think it's about time.

Share = Movies

Included Disks = 1,2

Min Space = 50000

Allocation = fill-up

Usually a movie folder would have Folder, a bunch of images, subtitle, and the movie file itself. Let's just say that the the hdd has 10GB left in it. When transferring a movie that is 14GB, unraid will copy everything in the content to the disk, but when it tries to copy the actual movie file, it will fail with insufficient space because the movie file is 14GB but the folder may include contents that are smaller in size.

How could I set it so that unraid would automatically use the next disk instead of trying to "fill up" this hdd which is large enough for some files in a movie folder but not large enough for the movie itself?

Usually a movie folder would have Folder, a bunch of images, subtitle, and the movie file itself. Let's just say that the the hdd has 10GB left in it. When transferring a movie that is 14GB, unraid will copy everything in the content to the disk, but when it tries to copy the actual movie file, it will fail with insufficient space because the movie file is 14GB but the folder may include contents that are smaller in size.

How could I set it so that unraid would automatically use the next disk instead of trying to "fill up" this hdd which is large enough for some files in a movie folder but not large enough for the movie itself?

The only solution is to set the Min Free space to be larger than the largest file that is to be copied.

unraid will copy everything in the content to the disk, but when it tries to copy the actual movie file,

When you say 'copy a 14 Gig movie file', I'd guess you are describing either a volume (Disk) or a folder(Rip) that contains multiple files within it? In total, they come to 14G, you have 10 G left on Disk 1, so why does unRAID try to write to Disk 1?

Do you use 'Split Level' for the Movie share?

I've set min free to 500mb. The disk has for example 10GB left. When I transfer a folder that's 14gb in total (12GB movie, 1mb this, 100mb that, and etc), all the smaller files would get copied over and when unraid attempts to copy the file larger than the available space it will fail, leaving all the previously copied files in the disk.

This can be resolved if unraid treats every folder as a "container" like iso, but it doesn't. It's not possible to tell how big the smallest file may be. BDrip can be as big as 25-30GB. If I were to set 30GB free space, it'd probably weed out most of the problems but that's a lot of wasted space that needs to be used up manually.

Is there a proper solution to this? I don't use split level. Can split level solve the problem?

My structure is like this:

/mnt/disk#/Movies/HD/<movie>/<content>

/mnt/disk#/Movies/NEW/<movie>/<content>

/mnt/disk#/TV Series/<tv series>/<season>/<content>

I used to use high-water but it was huge mess when browsing through movie collection with fragmented files all over the array and some disks spun-down.

Split Level will force All Files with the same level in the directory tree to be written to the same physical disk.

For the structure you described:

I believe you want to set:

SPLIT LEVEL = 3 for your movies share

(forcing all content for each movie to be on the same drive)

SPLIT LEVEL = 4 for your TV Series share.

(forcing all content for the same season to be on the same drive)

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_5

and search on 'Split' for a discussion...

I've set min free to 500mb. The disk has for example 10GB left. When I transfer a folder that's 14gb in total (12GB movie, 1mb this, 100mb that, and etc), all the smaller files would get copied over and when unraid attempts to copy the file larger than the available space it will fail, leaving all the previously copied files in the disk.

This can be resolved if unraid treats every folder as a "container" like iso, but it doesn't. It's not possible to tell how big the smallest file may be. BDrip can be as big as 25-30GB. If I were to set 30GB free space, it'd probably weed out most of the problems but that's a lot of wasted space that needs to be used up manually.

Is there a proper solution to this? I don't use split level. Can split level solve the problem?

My structure is like this:

I used to use high-water but it was huge mess when browsing through movie collection with fragmented files all over the array and some disks spun-down.

The client does not inform the server of the size of the file transfer. Set the min free space to be high and then manually top off the drives. Otherwise you will have transfer failures all the time will have to write to disk shares.