Can't access shares after upgrade to Dynamix GUI

so when i found out today that the SF GUI, which i've enjoyed for the past few months, is not supported anymore under 5.0 (even though i have been running it with 5.0 for a while now), i went ahead and "un-installed" SF...i put un-installed into quotation marks, bc i couldn't figure out how to properly do it, and then just deleted all SF plugins and CFG files from my flash drive, rebooted to find the regular LimeTech GUI, then downloaded and placed the Dynamix WebGUI plugin in my plugins folder...but after i rebooted and assured myself that it was running (nice GUI!), i found that i wasn't able to see all of my shares in OS X Finder anymore...i mean i see the "unRAID-SMB" and "unRAID" drive entries, as i had been, but when clicking on it, none of my usual disk, user and flash-drive shares are visible...just the icon with the name underneath, and "Connection Failed" with the "Connect As..." button underneath...clicking on "Connect As..." under the "unRAID" drive will bring up the user/password requester, but putting in my usual credential won't get me any further...doing the same with the "unRAID-SMB" share won't even bring up the user/password requester.

i *did* back up the entire Flash drive before i did all of this, so i'm not too worried, but i must have overlooked something simple...anyone might have an idea what i missed?

Could be two things:

1. there's a change in security with v 5.0.x ...'root' can no longer access user shares.

If you haven't already, create an unRAID user and give him access to your shares.

2. In the notes for v.5.0.3 you'll see a discussion of the changes to SMB and AFP.

Apple is dropping AFP...nothing uses it any longer except TimeMachine.

unRAID made some under-the-hood changes to go along.

Your old shares are still out there.

The SERVER NAMES have changed. What was 'Tower-SMB' is now 'Tower' and what was 'Tower' is now 'Tower-AFP'.

(and what you're seeing in the Finder sidebar are the old, saved entries that no longer work)

Restart your Mac and reconnect using GO / Connect to Server...

After the restart, Just reconnect with the new userid, and everything should be back to normal.

You should also open the TimeMachine prefs (if you use TM) and select the disk again so it knows the new server name.

thanks for those suggestions...i am on 5.0, btw, as i couldn't upgrade to 5.04 as planned after being in this limbo.

i do have another user than root,  that i have always used for accessing my shares, so i wonder whether that alone is the problem.

i have had AFP disabled, as i couldn't get Timemachine to work reliably even before these changes.

so i guess the thing to try next, then, is to reboot and try to connect to my unRAID share via the "Go" menu...will report back after i did so...thanks again, Dale!

ha! didn't even have to reboot to get the "Go" method to connect to the server...cool!

another question, though: there is now a computer with the IP number of the server in the left panel of my Finder (under "Shared") that uses the regular PC/blue-screen icon...how can i get it to use the name of my server ("unRAID") again, preferable with the Mac-look icon?

getting there...now for the upgrade to 5.0.4 and getting my plugins installed and configured again.

Work through the upgrade instructions to get to 5.0.4

(I'm sorry, I've forgotten if you can just jump from 5.0.0 to 5.0.4)

Its worth reading the release notes anyway, in case there's a change that's important for your setup.

After you get up to date to 5.0.4, turn AFP back on. And reconnect TimeMachine.

I predict it will work fine.  ;D

hmmm...something went horribly wrong...i ended up following the instructions for a fresh USB install, just to eliminate the gunk that's quite possibly all over the place after 4-5 years of upgrades, plugin installs and un-installs, and all sorts of experimentation that didn't always work...so after running the make_bootable.bat file i copied the disks, network, shares and one other cfg file from my backup onto the fresh USB install...but when trying to boot the server now, after the disks groups spin up i just get a blinking cursor on top of a blank screen.

and i am getting too tired to deal with it tonight still...i wonder what i did wrong there?

should i have *only* copied the "disks.cfg" file, or are the others needed from my backup as well?

Nothing has changed in the BIOS settings, and it was working before i took the USB stick out to reformat and re-install it...my guess is that i must have messed up with the "make bootable" process somehow, as the server will literally go to the black screen with blinking cursor right after the BIOS is done scanning all of the drive ports and before i would usually see the screen that lets me go to the unRAID OS, unRAID OS (Safe mode) or memtest.

back to the drawing board...pfffff...all the instructions i found seem to be for Windows, and since i'm on a Mac, they don't always point out the subtle details that make the difference between success and failure.

how frustrating! i just spent another hour following the instructions at this link to a T:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation#MacOS_X

but when trying to boot my server with the USB stick, it now gives me a "Non system disk" after the BIOS goes through the controller recognition sequence.

i don't get it...nothing has changed in my BIOS settings (still set to <removable dev> as the first boot device), and i really did complete *all* of the steps in those instructions! but it appears that mu USB stick is still not bootable, or is there another possibility that could cause this behavior?

aha, partial success! i just ran the make_bootable_mac script again (after going through all those steps of the other instructions i linked to above, i thought that it was already bootable), and now it is booting into the WebGUI...however, i am now looking at an un-configured array! it only shows me drop-down boxes for Parity, Disk 1 and Disk 2, and nothing else.

isn't all of my previous disk/array config contained in the disk.cfg file, or is there something else i will need to restore from my previous backup?

getting there, though!

ok, one problem was that i forgot to copy my Pro key back into config, and after doing that and also re-copying all other config files, the server rebooted with all of the previous disk-assignments showing correctly...started the array (it's doing a parity-check now, for some reason, but just as well).

when the parity check is done, i can continue on to figuring out how to properly get the Plugin Control working and getting my old functionality up and running again (UPS, iTunes Server, etc.).

thanks for the initial pointers that got me back to this place!!

Just a quick thing I noticed in regards to the dynamix thing: I can only access shares that were created pre-installing-dynamix. When I try to create shares now it will never work. I click on create, and it doesn't get created. At one time a share got created (it appeared under 'shares') but disappeared after a reboot. There is no trace of it on any of the disks.

Just a quick thing I noticed in regards to the dynamix thing: I can only access shares that were created pre-installing-dynamix. When I try to create shares now it will never work. I click on create, and it doesn't get created. At one time a share got created (it appeared under 'shares') but disappeared after a reboot. There is no trace of it on any of the disks.

That's odd.

In the DYNAMIX GUI, on the SETTINGS tab, under SHARE SETTINGS, is 'Enable User Shares' set to 'Yes'? 

Don't use quotes or double-quotes (' ") in the share names when you are using the Web server plugin. Otherwise uninstall the Web server plugin.

• 2 months later...

"Just a quick thing I noticed in regards to the dynamix thing: I can only access shares that were created pre-installing-dynamix. When I try to create shares now it will never work. I click on create, and it doesn't get created. At one time a share got created (it appeared under 'shares') but disappeared after a reboot. There is no trace of it on any of the disks."

Did you ever get this resolved. I turned of web server. I also checked that "enable user shares" is "yes".

Thank You

"Just a quick thing I noticed in regards to the dynamix thing: I can only access shares that were created pre-installing-dynamix. When I try to create shares now it will never work. I click on create, and it doesn't get created. At one time a share got created (it appeared under 'shares') but disappeared after a reboot. There is no trace of it on any of the disks."

Did you ever get this resolved. I turned of web server. I also checked that "enable user shares" is "yes".

Thank You

My guess would be that the flash drive was corrupt and so any changes made in the webGUI could not be written.

you can't create a share when the array is stopped

the array is the place where the share gets created  :o

but when you are trying to recreate your system with a fresh flash drive there is only one thing you need to do

make sure which drive is used for parity and which for cache.. make a picture with your cellphone of the array screen(!!).. then just forget about all the cfg files and what not, most of it is pretty basic anyway.. don't put any plugins or other programs there.. boot up, make the changes to the default settings if you wish, recreate the array form your cellphone picture, and all is working again.. only then start adding as little as possible plugins etc to your system.. there are a few settings you may have to change but since these apps are on the cache drive anyway it's never more then just a few clicks

how frustrating! i just spent another hour following the instructions at this link to a T:

it gets even more frustrating when you find out you are following some outdated instructions...

for all others.. here is the new one http://lime-technology.com/unraid-server-installation/