unRAID Server Release 5.0.5-i386 Available

limetech

Since I didn't get a chance to test and report my findings for the new "reconstruct-writes" option ("mdcmd set md_write_method 1") under 5.0.3, I figured I should post it here now that I'm running 5.0.5.

I have my Plus license maxed out with six WD 2TB Green drives (WD20EARS) connected to the onboard SATA ports on my MSI H55M-ED55 motherboard paired with an Intel Core i3-550 processor and 8GB of RAM.

Testing with a 15GB MKV file I saw my writes jump from about 20-22 MB/sec to 40-45 MB/sec according to the Windows 7 Pro file copy progress window.

Needless to say, I love the 2x speed increase from this option!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I didn't get a chance to test and report my findings for the new "reconstruct-writes" option ("mdcmd set md_write_method 1") under 5.0.3, I figured I should post it here now that I'm running 5.0.5.

I have my Plus license maxed out with six WD 2TB Green drives (WD20EARS) connected to the onboard SATA ports on my MSI H55M-ED55 motherboard paired with an Intel Core i3-550 processor and 8GB of RAM.

Testing with a 15GB MKV file I saw my writes jump from about 20-22 MB/sec to 40-45 MB/sec according to the Windows 7 Pro file copy progress window.

I use it on a daily basis. I have an rc script that adds a cron entry to turn it on and off by schedule.

root@unRAID:/boot/local/etc/rc.d# cat /boot/config/write_method.crontab
00 08 * * * /root/mdcmd set md_write_method 1
00 00 * * * /root/mdcmd set md_write_method 0

One of these days I'll even get a package to do this automatically. I'm just so dam busy this first quarter of the year.

I use it on a daily basis. I have an rc script that adds a cron entry to turn it on and off by schedule.

root@unRAID:/boot/local/etc/rc.d# cat /boot/config/write_method.crontab
00 08 * * * /root/mdcmd set md_write_method 1
00 00 * * * /root/mdcmd set md_write_method 0

One of these days I'll even get a package to do this automatically. I'm just so dam busy this first quarter of the year.

Quick question.. why would you turn this on and off if it results in a performance increase?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quick question.. why would you turn this on and off if it results in a performance increase?

Because it requires all your drives to be spun up.

Also, as your array width increases it will hit a point where this method is no longer faster, and in fact will start being slower.  This will also depend on your H/W (bus speed, ram speed).

Also, as your array width increases it will hit a point where this method is no longer faster, and in fact will start being slower.  This will also depend on your H/W (bus speed, ram speed).

So for a two drive system (one parity and one data drive) would it be advisable to leave this option always enabled?

So for a two drive system (one parity and one data drive) would it be advisable to leave this option always enabled?

A 2-drive server is a degenerate case and I think the code automatically uses this transfer mode.

FWIW, I use one of my unraid servers very heavily. It is torrenting and where it stores all the stream rips.

I then go in, tag, rename and move them to the appropriate locations with mp3tag.

I operate on many small files(by video standards) at once. So with all the kernel tunings and this new mode, I'm able to keep my ssd from being beaten on and have close to native SATA speed over the lan. I have another cron job that writes to the array during my busy part of the data once an hour to keep all drives spun up.

The speed increase is a welcome update for these small array width short burst writes (along with some kernel tunings).

The only time I have an issue with it is when I start a torrent that starts downloading at a very high rate.

Then it can make everything lag. FWIW I really do beat the hell out of my unraid server.  And it's only an N40L.

I can't wait for x64 and 16GB of ram to see how well it performs.

WoW!! I am way behind. I'm still using 5.0 final from last year. I'll need to upgrade my unRAID boxes sometime to this version.

From what I read there shouldn't be any issues right? Just a straight upgrade by copying the three files in the instructions? I need to remember to backup my drive list and the flash drive files first.

This was posted a few pages back but I didn't see any other comments.  Has anyone else noticed their server stopped beeping when the array comes online?  My server still beeps on shutdown but there's no beeps on startup.  I can't remember which version of 5.0 Final this started happening (either 5.0.4 or 5.0.5)?!

EDIT:  I guess it was 5.0.4 for me.  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31472.msg286542#msg286542

This was posted a few pages back but I didn't see any other comments.  Has anyone else noticed their server stopped beeping when the array comes online?  My server still beeps on shutdown but there's no beeps on startup.  I can't remember which version of 5.0 Final this started happening (either 5.0.4 or 5.0.5)?!

EDIT:  I guess it was 5.0.4 for me.  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31472.msg286542#msg286542

I dont think there was ever any beeping when the machine is turned on. I only have two beeps when rebooting or shutting down. Maybe you had a "beep" in your go script or in a plugin that u used? (<- this is also the way to get it back fyi  ;D )

I also have beep;beep;beep at the end of my go file so that it would beep 3 times when it had finished booting.

I also noticed today when I rebooted my server that it no longer does this. Any way to get this back, bar downgrading unRAID version? ;-)

I also have beep;beep;beep at the end of my go file so that it would beep 3 times when it had finished booting.

I also noticed today when I rebooted my server that it no longer does this. Any way to get this back, bar downgrading unRAID version? ;-)

Well, I never had any beeps in my go file.  I just recall the server beeping when the array became available.  I can't remember if it was two or three beeps but I do know whenever I would send a magic packet to turn it on that I would wait for the beeps before trying to access my share and it worked every time.  Now sometimes my media player hangs if I initiate the mount too quickly...

• 2 weeks later...

So, while I didn't modify my 'go' file (and thus didn't reboot my system), when I enter something like "beep -f660 -l100ms -D 130ms" in a telnet prompt, the system produces a sound ... so it would appear this is working on 5.0.5?  I don't know why it would behave any differently in a 'go' script ... but you're welcome to test at the command line yourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

getting a new issue - running 5.0.5 for weeks now.  Today I rebooted, and my system hangs and on the console the last line says:  ACPI:  All ACPI Tables successfully acquired"

I have not touched hardware at all.  Everything has been running for 3 years on same hardware without any issues.

I took flash drive out, did chkdsk - no errors, even restored my flash drive files from a few months ago, same result.

So can somebody tell me if this is related to 5..05 or perhaps something else?  I have been running unraid for 5 years, and this is the first time server will not start

getting a new issue - running 5.0.5 for weeks now.  Today I rebooted, and my system hangs and on the console the last line says:  ACPI:  All ACPI Tables successfully acquired"

I have not touched hardware at all.  Everything has been running for 3 years on same hardware without any issues.

I took flash drive out, did chkdsk - no errors, even restored my flash drive files from a few months ago, same result.

So can somebody tell me if this is related to 5..05 or perhaps something else?  I have been running unraid for 5 years, and this is the first time server will not start

This should probably be split off, to a support board.  There's no apparent connection with v5.0.5.

It sounds like a hardware failure of some kind to me.  First, try a memtest, one full pass.  And make sure all fans are spinning, especially the CPU fan.