unRAID Server Release 5.0.5-i386 Available

limetech

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you normally run a Parity check after rebuilding a drive?  It's so rare and between that I have to do this, just wondering if I need to spend the time doing it or if I can move on to a pre-clear of my new drive.

yes, you should.

If you just rebuilt a drive you've entirely written it, but until you do a parity check,you've never verified you can read what you've just written.

Agree with Joe.  HOWEVER ... this is one of the rare times I suggest doing a non-correcting check.  If for some reason the rebuild didn't work correctly, you'll want to rebuild the drive again -- and you will NOT want parity updated based on bad data on the newly rebuilt drive.

yes, you should.

If you just rebuilt a drive you've entirely written it, but until you do a parity check,you've never verified you can read what you've just written.

I ran the Smart Report and made sure things are stable, which they are (no increase in error count).

The Array Status option says:

Check will start a Parity-Check. 

Correct any Parity-Check errors by writing the Parity disk with corrected parity.

In this case, where there is a slight possibility of an issue on the one hard-drive, do I really want to "Correct any Parity-Check errors by writing the Parity disk with corrected parity"?

Gary answered this while I composing my question.  Mind reader apparently! :)  Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.

Agree with Joe.  HOWEVER ... this is one of the rare times I suggest doing a non-correcting check.  If for some reason the rebuild didn't work correctly, you'll want to rebuild the drive again -- and you will NOT want parity updated based on bad data on the newly rebuilt drive.

I'll second that.  It will accomplish the same read of the entire drive, and allow correction of sectors to be rebuilt if not originally written to a subsequently readable sector.

What?? You think non-correcting parity checks are a good feature?? Welcome to the dark side. Soon we'll have you skipping a backup cycle.  ;D

What?? You think non-correcting parity checks are a good feature?? Welcome to the dark side. Soon we'll have you skipping a backup cycle.  ;D

I presume you understand the meaning of the word "rare"  [as in "... one of the rare times ..."]    8) 8)

As for skipping my backups -- NEVER  :)

You do understand that Murphy guarantees that the one day you decide not to wear you seat belt is the day you're going to have an accident ...  he has the same impact on computers when you skip backups !!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all.  Finally got the $$ for a parity drive and when I logged into the webui is was busted.  Ended up having to update to 5.0.5 to get the webui back.  Now when I boot one of my disks is wrong.  Looking at the serial number, it looks like disk 2 is missing 4 characters in the listing for what unRAID thinks the serial should be.  How do I fix this?

Hey all.  Finally got the $$ for a parity drive and when I logged into the webui is was busted.  Ended up having to update to 5.0.5 to get the webui back.  Now when I boot one of my disks is wrong.  Looking at the serial number, it looks like disk 2 is missing 4 characters in the listing for what unRAID thinks the serial should be.  How do I fix this?

Tell us more. Attach a complete syslog.  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9880.0

And what version were you using prior to the upgrade to 5.0.5?

Was it an earlier 5.0.x a 5.0RC or 4.7 and earlier?

Using the information provided by trurl for the other thread, I've got my disks back up and running.  Now I've got a new issue: I can't access 2nd level folders on any of my shares. 

Example:  I have a share called Data.  I've mapped it to a network drive in Win7 so that it's Q: (\\tower\data).  When I go to a file in the Data share (Q:\file.pdf) it works but when I try to open a folder in the Data share (Q:\folder\) it says "Q:\folder\ is not accessible.  Access is denied."  If I go to the Data share through the webgui it works fine, so it looks like there's some permission issue that I can't track down.  I don't have any security on any of my shares and the Win7 computer can see the files and folders just fine, it just can't access the folders.

Using the information provided by trurl for the other thread, I've got my disks back up and running.  Now I've got a new issue: I can't access 2nd level folders on any of my shares. 

Since you are updating from 4.7 to 5.x, you have to run the new permissions script to assign the correct permissions to all the files. Google is your friend.

Thank you.  Google wasn't helping because I felt like I didn't even know what I was searching for.  Even just telling me "new permissions script" was enough to get me there, so I've got that running now and hopefully my shares should be working again when it finishes.

The 5.0 upgrade instructions say to run the new permissions script.

Thank you.  Google wasn't helping because I felt like I didn't even know what I was searching for.  Even just telling me "new permissions script" was enough to get me there, so I've got that running now and hopefully my shares should be working again when it finishes.

Which is precisely why I worded it that way. If I had just said, "you need to run the new permissions script" I can almost guarantee the next post would have been asking how to do it.

Hi,

I'm upgrading from 5.0rc12a to 5.0.5.  I am running into a problem where my Unraid server is unresponsive over WebGui and Telnet.  I've looked on my router and I don't see an IP address assigned to it but I'm not sure how to tackle the problem.  I've changed ethernet cables and made sure they are seated properly.  On my first boot I saw activity on flash, cache and disk drives (my parity is not hooked up via a HDD cage) but I could not access my webgui or telnet after 15 mins or so.  I rebooted a few times and then started looking at my server's IP address.  After that I need some help?

Upgrade process I followed

Stopped all plugins (Sab, SIckB, Transmission, ITunesServer)

Made sure parity was good and configuration valid. 

Backed up flash drive and then followed instructions here http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_Instructions

I did not run the make_bootable.bat file as I was unsure if I needed it.  I'm thinking my flash drive is not bootable so that is why nothing is up and running.  Is that a good guess?  Can I just plug my flash into my PC and double-click the make_bootable.bat file and retry? 

Thanks.