unRAID Server Release 5.0.5-i386 Available

limetech

Thanks for updated Intel e1000e 2.5.4 driver.

Unfortunately have to report am still getting 4% dropped Rx packets on an Intel DZ77BH-55K board with Intel 82579V controller.

Possibly a cable or switch problem?

Anything is possible, but I have run identical file transfers with my server booted in Ubuntu desktop - no dropped packets are reported.  However, in unRAID, the dropped packets count can be in excess of 50%.  I have tried a different switch, and that doesn't stop the dropped packets.  If I use a separate switch for the unRAID box, and connect that to my main switch, then the dropped packets count drops to almost zero.

Huh... My setup at home actually allows for this adjustment.  I'll try that out and report back...

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately have to report am still getting 4% dropped Rx packets on an Intel DZ77BH-55K board with Intel 82579V controller.

If you want to spend a little time 'googling' the error I'd appreciate it: report back if anyone has a solution  8)

Changing the InterruptThrottleRate has 'fixed' it here.

Added kernel command to /boot/syslinux.cfg:

append initrd=bzroot e1000e.InterruptThrottleRate=10000,10000

If you want to spend a little time 'googling' the error I'd appreciate it: report back if anyone has a solution  8)

here's a good read on interrupt throttle rate....http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15817/eng/README.txt

Sorry, but I'm confused about what the issues are with the intel driver.  I have a intel, actually two running in bonding enabled and I'm running stock 5.05.  I saw that some are having dropped packets, but how did you detect that?  How do I know if I have the issue too, errors in the syslog?

Everything seems ok on my system, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Sorry, but I'm confused about what the issues are with the intel driver.  I have a intel, actually two running in bonding enabled and I'm running stock 5.05.  I saw that some are having dropped packets, but how did you detect that?  How do I know if I have the issue too, errors in the syslog?

Everything seems ok on my system, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Go back a page for examples.

just tested this....Didn't make any difference for me.

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:30:48:7b:c1:3c
          inet addr:192.168.1.88  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:4500  Metric:1
          RX packets:10953 errors:0 dropped:120 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:16446 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1223836 (1.1 MiB)  TX bytes:22804363 (21.7 MiB)
          Interrupt:18 Memory:d8800000-d8820000

I don't now how I missed this, but Parity-Check doesn't run on a schedule (Monthly or otherwise) with 5.05 and stock gui.  I didn't realize it hadn't run since Dec 1st  on my rig, and that is about the time I went back to the stock gui.  Is this correct in that there is no place in the stock gui to setup a monthly Parity-Check?

Looks like it must be kicked off manually via the Main page on the stock gui, but it would be cool if there was an easy way to schedule it to run monthly, without having to do command line entries or use another gui (unmenu).

Is it still recommended to uncheck the Correct Errors box before kicking it off manually?

Is this correct in that there is no place in the stock gui to setup a monthly Parity-Check?

That is correct.

Looks like it must be kicked off manually via the Main page on the stock gui, but it would be cool if there was an easy way to schedule it to run monthly, without having to do command line entries or use another gui (unmenu)

Agreed, it would be awesome if you didn't have to do it manually or with unmenu/dynamic

Is it still recommended to uncheck the Correct Errors box before kicking it off manually?

This was asked a month ago or so and it sounded like the general consensus was to let parity be corrected.

I believe Tom pushed the newest version of the web gui to github. I attempted to install it on 5.0.5 but it didn't load my plugins in my /boot/extra folder and it also seemed pretty sluggish so I went back to the old gui for the time being. 5.0.6 is suppose to incorporate the new web gui, so I will be waiting for that.

I tried moving ipmi to lan 1 and unraid on lan 2 and it was like a race it seemed that for every 5 rx packets it was dropping 1 or 2. switched back to ipmi on dedicated, lan1 disabled and unraid on lan 2 that is where I get the least amount of packets dropped I am not sure how this will react with teaming or bonding eventually. I updated the eeprom on both 82574 chips and tried with both drivers.

Dave

I have been watching another friends server I just set up for dropped packets / invalid packet response and he show's none of either on his home network (5.05 w/ stock e100e driver). The only difference being his Flow control was set to rx/tx, so I enables flow control on my dell 6024 switch, which seemed to help in the beginning, but after an hour or so, it seems to have doubled my dropped packet rates!!

Just wondering how to add this to my sysnlinux.conf file, I had added it on the next line after "append initrd=bzroot" but i'm not sure if that woas the correct location, or if it matters.....