unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta1-x86_64 Available

limetech

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.  I should know how to do this in case there is ever a power outage and I have to do this from the console.  I used to have a plugin that would shutdown the server and power down the UPS unit via unmenu, but I've cleaned out all my plugins and I'm not sure if this is a built in feature now or not.  Anyway I've attached an image of what my array looks like if that helps with the commands needed to stop it and reboot it.  Could I maybe just restart the web server part instead of a reboot?

6.0-beta1.JPG.9773d62c092c80a0d57cb5aa535b734a.JPG

Looks like I need to dig up some KVM capable hardware!  Currently I run unRAID under ESXi so I'm a little nervous about switching but this certainly seems a possibility now once packages are figured out. Is there a preferred web GUI to manage VMs? Should this be pretty well setup like ESXi with gobs of ram etc.? Flipping my system from running unRAID under ESXi to running VMs under unRAID with KVM should prove interesting but I'm going to have to test like crazy with this one :-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am new to virtualization, so someone please explain to me (and other noobs) what changes in 6.X will mean to the setup I'm running now. I am running XenServer 6.2 (following grumpybutfun's incredibly excellent guide) with Unraid as a VM amongst several others.

Will Unraid become a dom0, or just a better behaved domU? Will I have to switch from Xen to KVM (which will be easy/difficult??)

I really am excited about the upgrade and really, really want to play with it. Let's say I wanted to install it, but maintain the current setup JIC, what's the best way.

So many questions, I'm like a six year old who just got a new toy made for eight year olds. How does it work, when can I play, is it my turn yet ;-)

Looks like I need to dig up some KVM capable hardware!

If your hardware runs ESXi... I would be SHOCKED if it doesn't run KVM / Xen.

Currently I run unRAID under ESXi so I'm a little nervous about switching but this certainly seems a possibility now once packages are figured out.

I would wait till the packages are sorted out and someone writes up a guide.

Is there a preferred web GUI to manage VMs?

There are some WebGUIs out there but none that I would use / recommend yet.

Should this be pretty well setup like ESXi with gobs of ram etc.?

unRAID (without caching directories) takes up less than 300MB of ram.

You could load every plugin that unRAID has (expect for the usenet indexer), plus XBMC into one VM and that would run like a dream with 1GB of RAM.

Flipping my system from running unRAID under ESXi to running VMs under unRAID with KVM should prove interesting but I'm going to have to test like crazy with this one :-O

Once they sort out everything and someone is nice enough to write up a guide... Should be easy if you can do without a WebGUI.

I am new to virtualization, so someone please explain to me (and other noobs) what changes in 6.X will mean to the setup I'm running now. I am running XenServer 6.2 (following grumpybutfun's incredibly excellent guide) with Unraid as a VM amongst several others.

You probably run all your apps in VMs instead of unRAID plugins so 64-Bit isn't going to make a difference if you are running unRAID in a VM.

Will Unraid become a dom0, or just a better behaved domU?

Yes.

Will I have to switch from Xen to KVM (which will be easy/difficult??)

Both KVM and Xen are enabled so you wouldn't have to switch to KVM unless you wanted too.

I really am excited about the upgrade and really, really want to play with it. Let's say I wanted to install it, but maintain the current setup JIC, what's the best way.

You could install an unRAID 6.0 into VM and boot between the two versions if you wanted.

Not sure why bonienl's IDE drive isn't seen, but mine works fine (the port was disabled in the BIOS on the old Dell OptiPlex I set this up on ... fixed that and it works just fine).

In my case nothing is detected for IDE (no probing) in the syslog of version 6.0, just the SATA ports.

As a reference below an extract of the syslog of version 5.0.5 which DOES detect IDE (maybe this helps ?) And attached the complete v6.0 syslog.

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: atiixp 0000:00:14.1: IDE controller (0x1002:0x439c rev 0x00)

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: atiixp 0000:00:14.1: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel:    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xff00-0xff07

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: atiixp 0000:00:14.1: simplex device: DMA disabled

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: ide1: DMA disabled

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: Probing IDE interface ide0...

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: hdb: WDC WD1600AAJB-00J3A0, ATA DISK drive

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: hdb: host max PIO4 wanted PIO255(auto-tune) selected PIO4

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: hdb: UDMA/100 mode selected

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: Probing IDE interface ide1...

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: ide-gd driver 1.18

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: hdb: max request size: 512KiB

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: hdb: 312581808 sectors (160041 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=19457/255/63

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel: hdb: cache flushes supported

Jan 23 18:56:44 vesta kernel:  hdb: hdb1

Your v6 syslog shows no atiixp, so either it was inadvertently dropped, or perhaps the 64-bit version is not working correctly.  Gary, is atiixp showing in your syslog?  The atiixp module is used for onboard IDE drives, perhaps Gary's IDE drive is on a different controller?

You might enable DMA in your BIOS IDE settings, as it may improve performance to that drive.  Confusingly, it says it is using UDMA/100 though!

The x86_64 build omits all the legacy PATA disk drivers (which are what's in unRaid 5.x).  Virtually all the legacy drivers were converted to 'libata' many linux releases ago and there are a few of them included now:

CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON=m

CONFIG_PATA_MARVELL=m

CONFIG_PATA_SIS=m

Here is what I have included in -beta2:

CONFIG_PATA_AMD: support for the AMD and NVidia PATA interfaces found on the chipsets for Athlon/Athlon64.

CONFIG_PATA_ATIIXP: support for the ATI ATA interfaces found on the many ATI chipsets.

CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX: support for early PIIX PATA support.

CONFIG_PATA_PDC2027X: support for Promise PATA pdc20268 to pdc20277 host adapters.

CONFIG_PATA_PDC_OLD:support for the Promise 20246, 20262, 20263, 20265 and 20267 adapters.

CONFIG_PATA_VIA: support for the VIA PATA interfaces found on the many VIA chipsets.

I'm taking a similar approach to the PATA drivers as we take with FastEthernet (100Mbit) drivers: I only want to include the most popular and/or those requested by a user since there are a gazillion (<- technical term) of them, no need to include all the old stuff no one will ever use.

Grumpy, I'm quite sure my existing hardware will run Xen. However I will want to test this out on a separate box to prepare myself for the migration. My current spare AMD system was just being used for OpenIndiana and FreeNAS testing; it was nice enough to throw a big fat "no KVM for you!" message in my face while booting :-( I may take this opportunity to move to a faster system too, something Haswell Xeon based if possible, my existing is Sandy based. For now I'll dig around in the toy box to see what I have aside from a spare cheap chassis.

I've seen screenshots of VMs being managed by something that looked a great deal like VSphere but was instead managing Xen I think. I'd really want to use something like that to watch things vs commandline if possible.  I'll admit most of what I run is managed via ssh but one or two aren't and I'd love to skip RDP or X. (shrug)

Thoughts on BTRFS vs ReiserFS? Doable? I want the ability to rollback but don't want the huge parity overhead of normal RAID. Seems a possible marriage might work but since unRAID isn't one big mount point I'm not sure how well since slack is used for those snapshots..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did get the same php error with UnRAID 6.0 running in VirtualBox in a 64bit VM but attributed it to being under VirutalBox. I thought my install was clean though - will check when I get home.

I had the WebGUI plugin installed when I cloned the virtual hard drives. Removed it and rebooted - all is well in VirtualBox.

I'm surprised it worked as much as it did. When I tried WebGUI on bare metal, everything was fubar.

Posted a reply there.

I really do appreciate all the status updates. It makes a WORLD of difference!

Just knowing that you have an answer to the IDE driver (I missed PATA my first go around too :D) is huge and nobody will care if you do not produce beta2 today, tomorrow or even next week. It's just knowing that you are aware of things, trying to find a solution, working on the solution, waiting to capture more "fixes" than one before the next release, etc.

I complained publicly so I wanted to publicly acknowledge and thank you for communicating more frequently / effectively.

Gary, is atiixp showing in your syslog?  The atiixp module is used for onboard IDE drives, perhaps Gary's IDE drive is on a different controller?

There's no "atiixp" in my syslog, but the IDE drive definitely works  :)

It's attached to the onboard controller in an old OptiPlex GX520 [intel 945 Express chipset with both SATA and IDE controllers] with a Prescott 2.8GHz P-IV

No add-in cards at all (integrated GMA950 video)

I'm taking a similar approach to the PATA drivers as we take with FastEthernet (100Mbit) drivers: I only want to include the most popular and/or those requested by a user since there are a gazillion (<- technical term) of them, no need to include all the old stuff no one will ever use.

I've asked the question before and never received an answer ... is it not possible to soft-load drivers?  That would allow individual users to choose which devices they need.

There's probably a technical reason why it can't be done (or isn't a good idea).  I'm most familiar with the DEC world where all device drivers are soft-loaded from disk.

Apcupsd released - see plugins forum.

Has anyone else tried loading plugins from scratch on Rel 6?  The apcupsd package fails to download when auto-installing at boot time, but subsequent files (powerdown, .png appear to download okay).  It works perfectly if I install from console with the installplg command.  Perhaps the ethernet is a little slower to come up and configure in Rel 6, or the plugin installer gets invoked earlier with a minimal configuration (only two drives, not in array)?

Posted a reply there.

I really do appreciate all the status updates. It makes a WORLD of difference!

Just knowing that you have an answer to the IDE driver (I missed PATA my first go around too :D) is huge and nobody will care if you do not produce beta2 today, tomorrow or even next week. It's just knowing that you are aware of things, trying to find a solution, working on the solution, waiting to capture more "fixes" than one before the next release, etc.

I complained publicly so I wanted to publicly acknowledge and thank you for communicating more frequently / effectively.

I appreciate that, thanks  8)

I've asked the question before and never received an answer ... is it not possible to soft-load drivers?  That would allow individual users to choose which devices they need.

There's probably a technical reason why it can't be done (or isn't a good idea).  I'm most familiar with the DEC world where all device drivers are soft-loaded from disk.

Yes, all the drivers are "modules" and loaded on demand based on detected h/w, but in unRaid the root filesystem is in RAM, which means it takes up RAM, so even if module not loaded it still takes up space.  We're talking 10's of K's here per driver, so I'm probably being a bit anal about wanting to save space.  Some day I might get over that  :P

Not sure where to put this .... in this thread or make a new one in the virtualization board

but we are missing something to make libvirt work

root@Tower:/etc/rc.d# rc.libvirt restart

libvirt is not running...

root@Tower:/etc/rc.d# rc.libvirt start

Starting libvirtd...

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib64/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: libtasn1.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

root@Tower:/etc/rc.d# virsh -c qemu+tcp://192.168.1.10/system nodeinfo

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib64/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: libtasn1.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

CPU model:          x86_64

CPU(s):              2

CPU frequency:      2800 MHz

CPU socket(s):      1

Core(s) per socket:  2

Thread(s) per core:  1

NUMA cell(s):        1

Memory size:        3962900 KiB

not sure what it means ....not used to KVM  so doing everything with the help of google how to's

also how are we supposed to make changes to /etc/libvert/libvertd.conf stick ?

was hoping to get a test vm running .... but seems my google fu is coming up short

libtasn1 is missing from build, added for -beta2

FTP does not seem to work in this beta?

I get the following error from filezilla client: Response: 500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv4 socket

I have activated some users in the WebGui. In syslog it just tells me: Tower vsftpd[16439]: connect from 135.183.224.164 (135.183.224.164) and in inetd.conf vsftpd are enabled.

It worked fine in 5.0.4

Could you also tell me why I get these errors:

server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading response record. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)

Jan 24 05:08:08 Tower avahi-daemon[16128]: server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading response record. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)

Jan 24 05:10:16 Tower avahi-daemon[16128]: server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading response record. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)

Jan 24 05:14:32 Tower avahi-daemon[16128]: server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading response record. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)

Jan 24 05:23:04 Tower avahi-daemon[16128]: server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading response record. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)

Jan 24 05:40:08 Tower avahi-daemon[16128]: server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading response record. (Maybe a UTF-8 probl

Thanks

Duppie

I've started a wiki page, 64 bit Compatibility, tentatively designed to collect in one place all of the info related to what's ready for 64 bit and what's not.  Its usefulness will depend entirely on how well it is kept up-to-date.  Feel free to edit, expand, change the formatting, add new sections, etc.

To start it off, I've added 4 sections:

* General System for the basics, the UnRAID OS, WebGUI, and general virtualization stuff, with a special section for Known Issues

* Plugins, hoping that the plugin devs will keep this updated (already have Boiler and Plex and APCUPSD there!)

* Scripts, hoping that various existing scripts will be either updated or confirmed to work with v6, perhaps add notes about known limitations (already have Preclear there!)

* VM Images, an unofficial place to list them all as they become available