Special offer: Second Key for 30 bucks

limetech

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, Amazon search... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028R3NCU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_am_it_am_us?ie=UTF8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is not the G2 that works.  I got two of those when they first came out and they did not have a unique ID.  It wasn't zero but a sequence of digits that is blacklisted since they(the readers) are all the same GUID.  This comment is based on the picture at your link.  The G2 I have looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Flash-Reader-MobileLite-Multi-card/dp/B00536WFTA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390486324&sr=8-2&keywords=mobilelite+g2

A command-line program to display the flash GUID would come in handy.

There are a couple of possibilities, listed below, but we've long recommended that you get the GUID from the UnRAID web management page, because only then can you be sure the drive works, and can boot UnRAID, and has a valid GUID.  Quoting Tom:

It is possible to form the GUID by looking at the USB info viewable via several Windows-based utilities, and it would not be difficult to write a small utility to do exactly this under Windows.  However, we want you to be 100% sure that your hardware will work with unRAID, and in particular, that your Flash will boot properly, before you shell out any $$ for the key.  This eliminates a lot of potential hassles and costs.

So it's best to prepare a basic UnRAID system on the flash drive and try to boot it.  To see the GUID in UnRAID v5 or later, click the 'Flash' drive on the Main page.  In older versions, see http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2125.msg15626#msg15626.

One command line tool, UVCView, mentioned here but download from here, can be used, but requires the flash drive be currently installed in a Windows system.

An easier tool, if you have ever had your flash drive plugged into a Windows system, is Nirsoft's USBDeview, which shows the details of every USB device that has ever been plugged into that Windows system.

Using either of the command line tools, the GUID can be constructed by Vendor[4]+Product[4]+'0000'+Serial[12], 24 characters.  It's often displayed as 27 characters, with 3 hyphens separating the 4 parts.

So it's best to prepare a basic UnRAID system on the flash drive and try to boot it.

Absolutely !!  It's both "foolproof" -- i.e. no computational requirements to construct the GUID from its parts -- and confirms that the flash drive you plan to use boots okay with UnRAID (there are some drives that have issues with this).

It's also trivial to do ... just format the flash drive with "UNRAID" as the label; download the UnRAID version you want to use (v5.0.5 or v6 Beta);  extract the files to the flash drive; and run the MakeBootable batch file with admin rights (In Windows 7, just right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator").

Just so I'm clear in my head, I currently have a pro licence if I want a second key for $30 will that be a pro licence also?

Yes, that's what Tom's said -- the 2nd key will be for whatever you've currently got.    If you own both Plus and Pro keys, you can choose which one you want [although I don't know why you'd choose a Plus in that case  8) ]

No need to copy current flash drive to the new one ... just run MakeBootable from the new UnRAID distribution you want to test (v5.0.5 or v6) on the new flash drive => then boot to that flash drive.  You can boot this on any PC you want ... your current server; a spare PC; etc.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  If you have not changed the name of your current UnRAID server from Tower to something else, be sure it's turned off when you boot the other flash drive -- you do NOT want two "Tower"s on the network at the same time.

Access the Web GUI -- there won't be any drives assigned ... and you DO NOT want to assign any.  All you want to do at this point is click on "Flash" on the main page.    This will show you the GUID for that flash drive.

Now buy a license key for that drive, and it's now ready to boot.

Remember that if you want to have BOTH your current UnRAID server and a new v6 server running at the same time, you have to rename at least one of them.

Thanks!

I purchased a 2nd key around a week ago for my backup server I just put together! hahaha Timing is everything.

That said, never hurts to have a backup key in case any of them go bad. And as a matter of fact, the USB drive I bought for my backup server specifically because it was very tiny (think Logitech's unified receiver size) came in pairs.

I call it fate.  ;D

Sure, Amazon search... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028R3NCU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_am_it_am_us?ie=UTF8

That is not the G2 that works.  I got two of those when they first came out and they did not have a unique ID.  It wasn't zero but a sequence of digits that is blacklisted since they(the readers) are all the same GUID.  This comment is based on the picture at your link.  The G2 I have looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Flash-Reader-MobileLite-Multi-card/dp/B00536WFTA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390486324&sr=8-2&keywords=mobilelite+g2

Well that sux! I saw people posting about a Kingston "G2" and simply did a quick Amazon search for it not realizing that I needed a "mini light" one sheesh! I guess I can try with the G3 model, I really don't care which works honestly. I should've known to search further but didn't expect multiple versions of the damned thing much less that a generic term would be used. I'll have a look at the mini one as well, the size is a draw at least.

I want to buy a second key. I'm a little bit confused about the FLASH GUID.  Do we put the FLASH GUID of my cutprrent Pro license server or the one for a new flash drive?

New flash drive. Tom will issue a license based on the GUID you enter into the web form. He must be able to find you as a current customer based on the email you submit.

Got it!  Placed my order for "Future use".  I don't really need it, but I too want to support UnRaid.

Just so I'm clear in my head, I currently have a pro licence if I want a second key for $30 will that be a pro licence also?

Yes, that's what Tom's said -- the 2nd key will be for whatever you've currently got.    If you own both Plus and Pro keys, you can choose which one you want [although I don't know why you'd choose a Plus in that case  8) ]

Thanks grey, ill be getting another flash drive soon, once i have the GUID ill order.

Well that sux! I saw people posting about a Kingston "G2" and simply did a quick Amazon search for it not realizing that I needed a "mini light" one sheesh! I guess I can try with the G3 model, I really don't care which works honestly. I should've known to search further but didn't expect multiple versions of the damned thing much less that a generic term would be used. I'll have a look at the mini one as well, the size is a draw at least.

Some have said the G3 worked for them just fine.  See post about it below your first one.  I've also seen others post it doesn't have a unique ID (was probably a rip-off clone).  Others said it didn't work for them.  I would follow the instructions from the link in a post after your original post about the G3  I bet it would work.  I just bought 3 more MobileLite G2's for $18 myself the other day as that is the cheapest I've seen them lately.  I don't have a G3 or USB3 port to test with (don't like to mix USB types on something vitally important like the unRAID boot flash).

Still looking for a usable MicroSD reader before I can sign up myself.

I can report that the "G2" Kingston one I linked earlier shares the same GUID as a "generic" looking blue plastic reader I had laying around. Two other tiny Kingston adapters I had, both the same model, share the same GUID - argh!

The G3 Mobilite however appears to display a valid GUID but is honking HEYUGE! It's like the size of an old box of matchsticks and covers other ports when used. Yuck!

Last but not least is an adapter I got to work with an SD card installed in a handheld game system. The GUID it displays is "14CD-121E-0000-121E20100726" - can that be used? It's larger than I'd like but no larger than a normal USB stick. Doesn't appear real well made (the G3 is garbage too BTW) but might work?

P.S. Can we get a list of sticks assigned to our accounts? I have three "active" machines but am pretty sure I have 4 licenses - I may have actually lost a danged key but would like to check if that's easily doable. :-O

My 2-cents: I see the appeal of using a reader, and I really wish these things exposed the microSD card s/n, but they don't.  AFAIK all G3's are unusable, and we have run across G2's with duplicate GUID's.  Even if your GUID appears unique don't be surprised if it gets blacklisted in the future.

My recommendation at this time, and what we ship with the "preconfigured flash" products, as well as all server products is the SanDisk Cruzer Fit:

http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/cruzer-fit/

This device is extremely small and also has pretty good write performance.