AOC-SASLP-MV8 Causes Server to Reboot Rather Than Shutdown

I just installed my second MV8 card, and now my server will not shutdown. My server will boot up fine, but when I try to shut down either via the Unraid GUI, using powerdown from a console, or using the power button on the case, the machine shuts off and then starts back up. If I pull the new card out, my server will shutdown fine.

I'm at a loss on this one. Has anyone seen this before? I'm fairly certain I copied one of the builds on the forum here, so I feel confident these parts work together.

Update 1: Looks like it's an issue when both cards are in the machine at the same time. I can take out the old card and leave just the new one in and it will shutdown fine as well. It looks like my old card is running the .15 firmware and the new card is running the .21 firmware. Should I update the firmware on the old card, or possibly roll back the firmware on the new one?

Update 2: Looks like upgrading both cards to .21 firmware doesn't help. The MB is also running the latest firmware.

Update 3: Just another data point, but my machine is a pretty basic setup. The only things connected to the MB are the two MV8 expansion cards, 5 hard drives, the memory, the CPU, power, and then the connectors for front USB, power and HDD lights. It seems like it is either the MV8 cards, or something to do with the PCI-E slots themselves.

I've disabled all of the WOL settings the BIOS as well.

Minor update. I got a response from Supermicro and as you might expect they don't think its their cards. They suggested I contact the MB manufacturer about it. So, I've submitted a support request with them as well. Hopefully that will turn up something. I'd hate to have to replace the MB in my server because of this.

Have made sure the "power on after power failure" setting is disabled / set to "stay off"?  Also make sure any settings related to power on via PCI / pcie device are disabled...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate all the help I can get.

I assume you mean settings in the BIOS, correct? I've checked and double checked everything in the BIOS, and I believe I have all of these "power on" features disabled. I've actually gone through once and disabled everything except the onboard video. Since I don't have a video card, I didn't think it would be a good idea. Other than that, if there was an option to disable something, I turned it off.

Are there some other settings I may be missing? Something related to unRAID or possibly the expansion cards?

Did you try rolling both back to firmware .15?

Also, did you disable INT13 for both cards in the card bios (when using v .21 firmware)?

I have not tried the .15 firmware in both cards. I'll try rolling that back as soon as I get a chance.

I believe I have INT13 disabled now, but I'll double check that as well before I rollback the firmware.

No luck. Both cards had INT13 disabled already. I also tried rolling back the firmware, but the machine still reboots rather than shutting down.

Any more suggestions? This is one of the few times that Google is letting me down. I've found a few similar cases with PCI-E cards, but never a resolution that seems consistent with my situation.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Damn, I have the same issue ... tought it was some bios settings but i confirmed the issue after removing my second AOC-SASLP-MV8  !

So, my config, X8SIL-F + 2 x AOC-SASLP-MV8.

Anyone got solutions about this issues?

Thanks

Damn, I have the same issue ... tought it was some bios settings but i confirmed the issue after removing my second AOC-SASLP-MV8  !

So, my config, X8SIL-F + 2 x AOC-SASLP-MV8.

Anyone got solutions about this issues?

Thanks

Your hardware is all SuperMicro so contacting them is worthwhile. OP has non SuperMicro motherboard so they passed it off. They can't do that this time.

Contacted support, except some test that i already done before, they have no idea on this issue ...

Someone that doesnt have the issue can check that:

* Disable the PCIe slot in bios from one of your AOC-SASLP-MV8

* Check if the two or one card are loaded before unRAID start.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...